News:

<+Ice> i have a dildo factory line run by old women in my garage

Main Menu

Your music history?

Started by Zovistograt, May 23, 2008, 09:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zovistograt

How has your music tastes changed throughout your life thus far?

From birth to kindergarten, my parents filled me up with 50's - 70's classic rock and stuff, so that's all I knew and it has a special place in my heart for that reason.
From kindergarten to the end of elementary school I actually liked pop music like the Backstreet Boys, N*SYNC, Britney Spears, etc.
I got into classical music in 3rd grade a little.
I hadn't heard electronic music of any kind besides in video games until 6th grade.  That's when I found out that I could get MIDI's of my favorite video game music online...found a nice little site called TMKSD (The Mushroom Kingdom Squad's Domain) which has been defunct for 5 years now D:
Video game music was my gateway drug of sorts.  I soon found out about techno and then DDR through a little song called "Waka Laka".  DDR opened passages to more crazy genres, I found out about happy hardcore from Tails, and then I got into hardstyle and gabber from my friend who loves the same stuff I do today.  THE END
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Jono2

I never had a big interest in music until the last few years.  I played it, yes, but I never listened to it.

listened to my parent's assorted pop & rock of the new & old times (beatles through to crowded house) when i was 10ish

played in the jazz band, but didn't listen to really any jazz.  however, i suppose that could be said as part of it when I was 13-15ish

now from 16-17, i went from being a pop fan (top 40s) to being a rock fan (hating top 40s) to being a general electronica fan, to being more into specific areas of the genre (and considering how it's just really emerging big now, now is the time)

I tried out your HH suggestions, but it's too upbeat for me. :P

I love The Chemical Brothers, Simian Mobile Disco, and The Prodigy to be specific.  I have an assortment of Portishead & Massive Attack (trip-hop, though IIRC portishead hates that label), some experimental stuff (Bjork, Crystal Castles), and well... some other stuff by Midnight Juggernauts, Justice, etc...

and of course, Daft Punk.

Quote from: LinkXLR on January 30, 2008, 09:10:54 PM
Quote from: famy on January 30, 2008, 08:36:30 PM
is big willy unleashed a will smith game

...I'm not even gonna touch this one.

SteamID: Lazylen

Kaz

Started out with two bands: The Doors and The Eagles. My mom listened to them constantly in our house so I heard them constantly. She also played the Grease soundtrack a lot.

Once I started listening to the radio, it was nothing but country. "Thunder Rolls" or whatever by Garth Brooks was my favorite song. I guess it still is my favorite country song.

Then it was basically just video game music for a long time until about age 14, when I picked The Doors back up with my mom's "Best of The Doors" double album. Once I was getting bored of them, I looked at my mom's other older CDs, and got back into The Eagles, and discovered how cool The Beatles were. I also developed a slight liking for Fleetwood Mac. I still like them, but they're not that great.

Within a year, I started listening to AC/DC and other hard classic rock bands a lot. GNR was my favorite band for a while, and their greatest hits album was my first CD. I was using Limewire to get most of my music, though. That's when I discovered Led Zeppelin. It started with Kashmir, which I originally hated. After getting Stairway to Heaven, I started loving them. Soon my musical taste expanded like crazy and encompassed almost every type of rock from the 60s to the 90s. I even listened to grunge, which is something I mostly dislike these days.

By age 18, I had a poopload of CDs, and my favorite artists had become Led Zeppelin, The Doors, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Van Halen, and David Bowie. But as my 18th year of life wore on, I started to enjoy a lot more electronic stuff via flash files on /f/ and such. So I started listening to downtempo electronic stuff, mostly trance. ATB to start with, and once I was 19, Aphex Twin and Boards of Canada. BoC is still my favorite electronic group.

Just recently I also started liking trip-hop a lot, pretty much just because of Portishead.

So there you have it. Rock is still my favorite (all sorts of rock, mind you), but now I also listen to electronic stuff and trip-hop.
Quote<+Mithos> My mom grounded me for being gay.

Zovistograt

Quote from: Jono2 on May 23, 2008, 09:41:17 PM
I tried out your HH suggestions, but it's too upbeat for me. :P
I think you'd like darkcore.  It's like happy hardcore but without the happy.
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Riosan

Until a couple years ago, I really didn't care about music. Then, in like 7th grade, all of my musical interests were from whatever played on VH1 or the radio. Eventually, I got into Switchfoot because of my friend, Daft Punk because of my constantly listening to One More Time, and then Keane, from remembering Somewhere Only We Know sometime last year. I branched out a little bit to include more bands, like Snow Patrol, Queen, the Beatles, The Red Button, etc.
[21:51]   <Smashin>   No one likes a sad fat kid.
[21:51]   Mystic has left #nsider (Leaving.)

major tom

Since birth I didn't give a rat's ass about music, though I did enjoy some songs I'd hear on the radio in the car with my parents. When I was around ten, I started liking top 40 music, mostly rap, ick. I never got reeeeally into it, I never owned a song. But I'd occasionally listen to it on the radio. By the time I was twelve, I started to dislike it, and by my 13th birthday, I hated most of it. I got into rock, the first rock song I liked was Paradise City. For a couple months I liked Linkin Park, lol, but it didn't take long for me to hate them. Since, my music taste has developed rapidly.

DSWiiMaster42

When I was really little, I always listened to Sesame Street CDs. Then from the ages of 5 to 8, I loved listening to pop like Merril Bainbridge, Britney Spears, and Backstreet Boys. I hate Britney and Backstreet Boys now. From 9 to now, I started listening to rock (and once I got Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 on Gamecube, the music on those games was what really got me into rock). Now I mostly listen to rock, and a little bit of rap (like Eminem, Black Eyed Peas, and Insane Clown Posse).

Thanks to mackormoses for this badass sig!

SSBB friend code:1719-2939-0479
Characters I use: Ike (mostly), Sonic, or Captain Falcon
If you want to battle, please PM me.

Xbox Live gamercard: SegaSonic127

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/Slashrulez724 (my old account got deleted)