News:

Our thoughts go to Silver and his family in this difficult time.

Main Menu

Yoshi's Island DS

Started by LightShock, September 29, 2007, 09:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LightShock

Published By: Nintendo
Developed By: Artoon/Nintendo
Genre: Action Adventure
Release Date: Nov. 13, 2006 US
Austrailia: Nov. 23, 2006

History

Yoshi's Island DS, is like a sequel to SNES Yoshi's Island. Most of the game is the same; Bring baby Mario with you, collect  the objects in the game. It is mostly the same spoof off of the snes version. You collect the same amount of Stars/Flowers/Red Coins in both games. Thus making a very similar title, excepet for the fact of carrying around the different babies. Even the title screen is similar from both games! Let me delve deeper into the world of Yoshi's Island DS.

The name says it all

Yoshi's Island DS allows you to shoot eggs into opponents, and tricky little objects infront of you and above you. The flying clouds with a "?" on them hold very sentimental items to Yoshi. Some hold Flowers, jumping stars, or coins! Each sentimental item is needed at the end of the level. For it calculates your skill on how you collect the flowers, jumping stars, red coins, and "baby coins." (Baby Coins are shiny coins that symbolize a certain baby) to get a perfect score at the end of the level, youll need 5 Flowers, 20 Red Coins, and 30 Stars.

Overview

Gameplay- The gameplay for this game is pretty solid and Straight-forward. I mean that the clear objective is to save the babies and collect goodies along the way. It does create fun in the sense of being your favorite color yoshi and carrying around your favorite baby. What I didn't like is how easy of a game it is. For people who like simple, this is a good game for you, but some need more challenge in the game I wouldnt suggest it. The bosses are  to easy and dont require any special things to do. Just fire eggs and you win. Otherwise, the gameplay iis easy to understand and you can jump right into the game.

Graphics- The graphics are quite good in this game. They create a good look at Yoshi and the babies, and the level itself and enemies are good looking for a side-scrooling game. I do think that the enemies should've been created in a 3-D effect, similar to that of New Super Mario Bros. That would have created the look and style of the way you and others play the game.

Sound- I liked the sound and music of this game because it fits right alond the Yoshi Storyline. The music has the "happiness" effect to it. A[lso, the music to each level of the game is great because it fits right along with each situation that is going on. The Characters voices sound like the actual character and match the baby tone. Although I hate the loud and abnocious crying that goes on when you lose your baby. But, at least it matches the cry from the recent titles.

Replay Value- The replay value for this game is high for the fact that you can always find something else to do, or something that you have not yet completed. The mini-games can keep you entertained and you can work on collecting the missing objects and items that you have not yet found in the adventure mode. Although it is not multiplayer, this game creates fun even after you've beaten it.

Items/Descriptions

Coins- These things are All over Yoshi's Island. Once you collect 100 you get 1UP!
Red Coins- Every single stage has 20 red coins. collect all for a good score!
Green Eggs- Yoshi's standard egg. Throw them at enemies, objects, and items
Yellow Eggs- Throw these at enemies or clouds. you recieve 2 coins if you hit them.
Red Eggs- Throw these at enemies or clouds. you recieve 2 stars if you hit them.
Flowers- Collect 5 in each stage for a 1UP and a good Score
Stars- Collect 30 in each stage for star power and a good score
Baby Coins- Collect these with a baby that matches the coin. A suprise awaits you.
Message Blocks- Hit these for help
Winged Clouds- Hit these with an egg. A star, flower, and a coins may come out.
Switches- Step on these to reveal stairs or other hidden mysteries
Keys and Doors- Key = Unlock Door

see the jumping stars up top?

Babies/Abillities

Baby Mario- His special ability is "Dash." Press "Y" while walking to make yoshi dash.
Baby Peach- Her Special ability is "Float." Flutter jump in a wind path to make yoshi soar high into the air.
Baby DK- His special ability is to "Dash," "Swing," or "Climb." He alllows Yoshi to climb treacherous feats.
Baby Wario-  His Special ability is to attract metal. Of course, this allows Yoshi to bring money or coins towards him.
Baby Bowser- His Special ability is to breathe fire. This can kill enimies and melt ice, but allows yoshi not to create eggs

On the other hand, Yoshi can do many things to. He can get Super Stars which allow him to climb on walls and run at high speeds. He can morph into many objects such as the Helicopter, (Makes Yoshi fly) the Mole Tank, (Makes Yoshi dig) and the Submarine. (Allows Yoshi to go underwater). To morph, you'll need to find morph bubbles, and to end a morph period, it'll either do it on its own or you find a Yoshi Block. But now Yoshi isnt a steed anymore. He can be his own rider! By hopping in a kangaroo, he can jump at coins. Or by riding in stilts he can just walk on for fun. And lastly, he can ride in a cart. But remember to jump off the cart because it moves on its own.

Look above Yoshi to see a morph bubble of a helicopter

Scoreboard/ Bonus Challenges

~Scoreboard~- Now when you reach the end of the level, al that you've colected during the stage, depends on the scoreboard here. From the flowers, the red coins, and the jumping stars, determine this score. It will calculate a high score, a current score, and your total world score. Try to collect everything in the level (besides yellow coins) to try to reach a perfect score of 100 on each stage!

~Bonus Challenges~- Determining the amount of flowers you collect, determines you having a chance at a bonus challenge. At the end of the stage you'll find a ring of flowers. (if you collected them) When you jump through the ring a routellete will start. If it lands on one of your flowers, You get a bonus challenge to win 1UP's. Here are the 3 challenges you may find:
Scratch and Match- Rub off the tiles. Try to collect the most Baby Mario Faces
Match Cards- Your standard matching game. The game ends if you miss 2 matches
Slot Machine- Stop the slot machine with "A." If the pictures match the middle row, you may get 1 or more 1UP's!

Extras

Yoshi's Island provides many extras so you can still have fun with the game! This game allows you to unlock Mini Games from the farthest flutter jump, or collect the most eggs! There are many of these mini games lying around the stages. Depending on how well you play depends on how many lives you may earn. The Middle Ring provides great help during the stage. It serves as a checkpoint for Yoshi and his cohorts. So if you die and collect one of these rings you can respawn where you collected the ring. The Stork Stop is a place where you can simply change your babies. By stepping on the button, a stork will come by with a new baby. Jump at the baby to switch yours with the other. The Screen also allows you to look down. So if your afraid of heights, check below you to see where you are gonna land. This game also supplies a Bowsers Catlse similar to Mario Bros from the NES. Here You'll find bosses of many types at the end of the stage. You'll run into a Bowsers Castle every 4 worlds or so. Lastly, the Supply Egg Boxlets you restore all of your eggs back when you hit it.

There's the stork Stop and in the upper right there is a supply egg box

~Overall Rating~
4.3/ 5

Pros
+ Different babies to provide a new experience
+ New Abilities for Yoshi (Morphing)
+ Mini Games
+ New and Resolved worlds with bosses
+ New Objects to collect

Cons
-- The countdown of Star power when you lose your baby
-- Cant view Above you
-- Morphing controls are hard to use. Especially for the Mole Tank

Suggestions
~Put Birdo in the game
~ Have different color eggs for each yoshi from the supply box
~The ability to save during a stage

THIS REVIEW IS COPYRIGHTED BY LIGHTSHOCK.

La Pared

I never had a chance to play this game.

www.Revolutionists.co.nr

LightShock

so any constuctive critisism you have for me mack? >_<

Macawmoses

déja vú? hmm well post in the workshop ( ill remember that way :P )

MxKirby

nice review, i like how you explained the game.

i have it and i dont mind it being kinda easy, though you have a point there.

good job. :)

im part of the Revs \R\MxKirby: 051649 333287
challenge me anytime

LightShock

Quote from: MxKirby on October 02, 2007, 08:11:58 PM

Thanks mex I rly appreciate it :)

*mex is your new nickname* :D

Macawmoses

just something i noticed...use easy to read colors...unlike the tingle rank

LightShock

Quote from: mackormoses on October 02, 2007, 09:14:21 PM
just something i noticed...use easy to read colors...unlike the tingle rank
which paers are like that? :O

Macawmoses

MoM of the review workshop ;)

~Firstly there were a lot of grammatical errors, minimize those..now!

"Thus making a very similar title, excepet for the fact"

See anything wrong? It happens a few times :P

~Now onwards and outwards I shall progress!

In the extras take out the colored words, it throws off the balance of the review, really.

~Pictures were well used so no comments there :D

~Nice style, the pros/cons/suggestions is a section I would like to see implemented more :)

~Every game has a style it should be reviewed, YI:DS is a lighthearted game, and you gave it a lighthearted review, KUDOS!

~The ratio in a review is 2/3 opinion, 1/3 fact. You went A LITTLE too far with opinion and had a LITTLE bit less fact then needed, remember we like your opinion but we need SOME facts :O

~Overall very good, light hearted review. It was crisp and the only distractions were TEH GRAMARZ ;) Good Work!

~MoM~

MxKirby

Quote from: LightShock on October 02, 2007, 08:59:48 PM
Quote from: MxKirby on October 02, 2007, 08:11:58 PM

Thanks mex I rly appreciate it :)

*mex is your new nickname* :D

lol so mex it is. :D

you kno, you made me wanna play it again.

ill play it when i go to bed. :)

im part of the Revs \R\MxKirby: 051649 333287
challenge me anytime

Macawmoses

is that what you were after?

LightShock

Quote from: mackormoses on October 03, 2007, 05:20:25 PM
wow very different response than from my MH 3 on 3 review :P

Ill get to fixing those changes in a little bit ;)

Macawmoses

Quote from: LightShock on October 03, 2007, 05:47:48 PM
Quote from: mackormoses on October 03, 2007, 05:20:25 PM
wow very different response than from my MH 3 on 3 review :P

Ill get to fixing those changes in a little bit ;)

im just spicin it up ( and really these are the responses you need )

VidiotMan13

I agree with the review. It's a great game.
DO A BARREL ROLL!!!

ZGDK

I actually thought the game was quite difficult when you compare it to the first game.