Lotos

Quote from: BOREDFANBOY on February 26, 2010, 06:50:44 PM
Also all good.  Of Mice and Men is worth reading on your own
This.  That was a pretty nice book.

Let's see.  I read (I think this is in order):

9th grade:
Of Mice and Men, To Kill a Mockingbird, Romeo and Juliet, Speak
10th grade:
A Separate Peace, Night (Elie Wiesel), Lord of the Flies, The Tragedy of Julius Caesar (well, "read", the teacher told us to finish it.  With my group, wasn't going to happen).
11th grade:
The Great Gatsby, Macbeth, The Secret Life of Bees, Catcher in the Rye
12th grade:
1984, The World According to Garp, currently reading Twelfth Night (we had the choice of that, The Merchant of Venice, Hamlet, and The Tempest.  The girls all voted on that one because the teacher mentioned that She's the Man was based off of it.  I wanted to read Merchant of Venice, but Twelfth Night isn't so bad.)

Titus Andronicus

We had to read so much Eugene O'Neill in 12th grade. Desire Under the Elms, The Iceman Cometh, Long Day's Journey... it was ridiculous >_>

The Great Gatsby was really great, I thoroughly enjoyed the drama. I didn't enjoy A Farewell to Arms.

Uh uh uh uh

Anyone have to read Waiting for Godot? We had a huge Beckett thing too. And Edward Albee.

Man, 12th grade English would've been enjoyable if I actually did the homework.
Tramps like us, baby we were born to die.

Macawmoses

Switch, amazing how close Ontario and Alberta are...

Anyways, some of the high school ones we've read include:

-Julius Caesar/Merchant of Venice (we had choice. I picked Merchant because I own Caesar)
-Macbeth
-Hamlet
-Death of a Salesman
-To Kill A Mockingbird
-Animal Farm
-Treasure Island (Grade 9 I think)
-One of the Bourne books (we did it to tie into our film analysis)
-The Kite Runner
-Catch 22

Not really a heavy list by any means. We put much more emphasis on poetry and short stories. We did something like 25 short stories in Grades 9 and 10, 15 in Grade 11, and about eight higher end ones (that we needed every detail memorized) in 12.

BOREDFOREVER

Quote from: NintendoMan74 on February 27, 2010, 01:37:07 AM
I did not like Things Fall Apart really. It just seemed a little too bland to me. However, it's just way too intercourse ing confusing to figure out why Okonkwo killed himself. I mean really, for a guy who considers himself to be one of the toughest guys in his clan, he's a real vagina-y.

Well, I guess you have to understand the character to like the book and the actions he takes.

Dog Food

We should be reading Catch 22 after Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. And then a couple others, but I can't remember their names.

*9th Grade*
Mythology
Oedipus (all three)
Odyssey
Romeo and Juliet
...probably more, but that's all I can remember.

*10th Grade*
Anthem
Fahrenheit 451
A Separate Peace
Lord of the Flies
...more, but that's all I can remember.

*11th Grade*
(see first post).

Next year I'll be taking AP English. My English teacher now says that there are less books, but we'll be reading Plato, Socrates, and people like that. So the reading will be heavier. Plus, she'll grade things a lot harshly. An A or B in this class would probably get a C or C+, possibly B-.
I get obsessively manic over things. It's a problem.

Rorschach

Quote from: mackormoses on February 27, 2010, 01:42:35 PM
Switch, amazing how close Ontario and Alberta are...

Anyways, some of the high school ones we've read include:

-Julius Caesar/Merchant of Venice (we had choice. I picked Merchant because I own Caesar)
-Macbeth
-Hamlet
-Death of a Salesman
-To Kill A Mockingbird
-Animal Farm
-Treasure Island (Grade 9 I think)
-One of the Bourne books (we did it to tie into our film analysis)
-The Kite Runner
-Catch 22

Not really a heavy list by any means. We put much more emphasis on poetry and short stories. We did something like 25 short stories in Grades 9 and 10, 15 in Grade 11, and about eight higher end ones (that we needed every detail memorized) in 12.
You guys got to read Animal Farm in class?  You're lucky.  The Kite Runner was one of our ISU choices this year, but I chose Ender's Game instead.

I wish we got to read Catch 22.  We have Wuthering Heights instead.

Mystic

Grade 9:
Romeo & Juliet
The Iliad
The Odyssey
To Kill A Mockingbird
Cask of Amontillado

Grade 10:
Didn't read any full books/stories. Just stuff from lit books like...
Lamb To The Slaughter

Grade 11:
Fahrenheit 451
Huck Finn
(one or more two books next tri, not sure what, I think Of Mice and Men)