News:

<+Clu> im 100% nigga

Main Menu

Retro Game Challenge Review

Started by Macawmoses, May 10, 2009, 02:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macawmoses

When one hears the words Retro Game Challenge, one of the first images that comes to mind are those cheesy compilations companies have pumped out for years now. In fact, the company behind this, Namco Bandai, is one of the worst for their constant releases of Ridge Racer, Pacman, and Mappy. However, in what seems to be a role reversal, comes one of the most fresh and original North American releases in gaming this year - a title not about rehashing the classics, but creating a new one.

Here's the lowdown. You're sitting there playing your Nintendo DS, when this total loser at games pops up, named Arino. This phantom then decides he's going to drag you back to the 80's for disco and gaming challenges, proving he is the ultimate master. Playing his game is the only way to get back to the present...not that you would want to.

The bottom screen shows you and, well, Arino as a child. You're playing games, and he's watching, giggling, and generally impressed with the fact he has becoming a badass cybernetic ruler. No class, you can't be like Arino. This setup offers justification for the games coming together, but outside of that serves more as an annoyance, then anything.

Fortunately enough, this overview of a story is really the biggest fault of Retro Game Challenge (RGC). The games and challenges Arino issues are in fact more than solid, they are phenomenal. Six original titles, and two rehashes of these titles, are ready for you to blast through and get your retro freak on.

Your first challenge comes from a Galaga/Space Invaders like title called Cosmic Gate. The adventures you play through in it are short and assuredly painful for those alien scum, but offer enough of a challenge and diversion to make for a worth investment. These challenges are unorthodox, though, meaning just because you want to play the game a certain way, you won't always get it. After all, Namco isn't Burger King.

A ways down the road, as in a few games later, is a sequel of sorts to Cosmic Gate, called Star Prince. This is a clear update that allows you to move more than just left and right, but also up and down. Star Soldier anyone? Or what about the second game you unlock, called Haggle Man. This robot ninja needs to do some horizontal and vertical scrolling and stomping on enemies to get his Princess...let's just hope she's not in another castle. This very title, which is my personal favorite, gets two enhanced versions - Haggle Man 2, a tougher and longer experience, and Haggle Man 3, a game that is reminiscent of the first two, but oh so different.

Of course, this offers only a platformer and a shooter to you, and we all know the NES was about so much more than that. Rally King, a top down racer gets two iterations in RGC. The racing is intense, but the primary focus is on the drift mechanic. It's easy to pick up, and definitely an enjoyable part of RGC. However, I see no need for two versions of this, opposed to the more substantial changes in Haggle Man.

Finally, the Famicon/NES was known for its RPG's, and the creation of Final Fantasy. The challenges (and game itself) offered in RGC for this particular genre are extremely substantial. In fact, it is extremely similar to said title. What is it though? It is Gaudia Quest! It's an epic possibly deserving of its own game - clocking in at 9 hours for those of you that are talented. Level grinding isn't the chore it was "back in the day", but the random encounters are noticeable. Of course, condensing an epic down into something that can be completed in far less time is no easy task. Earning spells and upgrades quickly makes this turn based bit of fun just that, fun. Challenge wise - this set is so in depth you won't want to move on.

After each of those games and challenges is completed, you'll find yourself playing them in Free Play mode. This great little diversion adds a ton of replayability and longevity to RGC, something that can't be said of "real" complications. This alone surely makes the value of Retro Game Challenge worthwhile, but the one key element missing is multiplayer in all forms.

Now, an obvious question arises - how do I defeat the amazingly powerful Arino at his own games, so I can access Free Play? Well, his younger self is always buying magazines in the vein of the old Nintendo Power and its rivals, chock fill with cheats, hints, and full blown strategy. Trust me when I say this, these will be key to your existence, and can help make the games more enjoyable. There are also those things you never read available to help you, yes, there are game manuals. These aren't nearly as useful as the magazines, but they do add even more authenticity to this stellar title.

Speaking of authenticity, graphics and sound comes up. I assure you, this Challenge found its stride in terms of these elements. Each game looks just as one would expect an NES game would. Some are more advanced then others, while others move with different frame rates. Everything is spot on, much like Mega Man 9. And just like MM9, the sound is oh so fitting. I plugged in my NES to do a direct comparison, and let's just say I was impressed. Style wise changes based on the genre, as it should, a proof of attention to detail.

For those of you that love old titles and have already relived every saga of Mario, Link, Alex Kidd, and others, this offers a chance to try something new. To those of you not a fan of the old, invest some cash and try this new take on the retro titles. RGC succeeds where other titles just don't - appealing to a wide audience and offering an experience that will surely stand out in your minds. Think back to your gaming days as a wee lad, even you ladies, and Retro Game Challenge is everything good you remember. Except the milk and cookies. While it does offer some nuisances here or there, those of you that pick it up will not be disappointed. Retro Game Challenge my be based on the old, but it should appeal to "old" and "new" alike.

Score: 8.8