News:

Change is coming. HOPE CHANGE UNITY

Main Menu

Official 3DS Discussion Thread

Started by Thirdkoopa, January 06, 2010, 08:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cornwad

I think some of you are overeating considering we essentially only have a name. A name that is also an amazing pun. I thought touch controls on a handheld sounded pretty ridiculous too, and the DS is probably my favorite handheld after the brick Gameboy.

Nanako

A new DS, eh? I can't wait to tell a certain someone about this. But... knowing him, he already knows about this. Oh well, I'll still tell him.
I still have a trusty DS Lite and it works exactly as I want it to for all this time. Really, it even cooks for me if I ask nicely. I'm happy enough with that. I don't need some stupid update every year.

Zero

Quote from: Nanako on March 23, 2010, 06:07:12 PM
I don't need some stupid update every year.

From the information we're getting, it's looking like this is an entirely new platform.

Though to be honest, the DS base is so large I'm not sure if Nintendo is willing to take the risk of launching a new platform just yet.

Nanako

Quote from: Zero on March 23, 2010, 06:30:06 PM
From the information we're getting, it's looking like this is an entirely new platform.

Though to be honest, the DS base is so large I'm not sure if Nintendo is willing to take the risk of launching a new platform just yet.
Maybe yer right. But really, I dunno. If it brings a lot of new functionality, I might take a look at it. But if it is just a DS with WOW 3D, then I'll pass. Just like I passed on the DSi, cause it's just a DS with WOW CAMERAS.

Tupin

Completely new hardware series:
http://kotaku.com/5499725/nintendo-3ds-is-a-new-hardware-series

The 3D effect, it's more of an innovation in graphics than an innovation in gameplay. That doesn't mind me so much. I'm just glad they are getting a real joystick and moving away from the aging 6-year old DS platform after making four versions of it. Kind of surprised they aren't moving into optical media, 3D effects take up lots of space.

Oh, and the backwards compatibility is a nice touch.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Thirdkoopa

3D being more of an innovation in Graphics rather than Gameplay? Sort of expected but I suppose too much can't happen with it as long as It's not shoved down our throats. On the other hand, Joystick not as in a 3D one which confused me? That's fantastic news as long as they implement it well. This just went from "Questionable" To "Looking pretty nifty so far" Let's just hope the steadiness keeps up like this.

I just wonder with the DSiXL so soon that If nintendo has truly had the time to rerun over how the controls work on this - Compared to other versions the original DS and GBA weren't all that great in controls compared to say the rest later on. Which kinda sucks because If there's something that comes out in the next 2 years I'll probably be vacuumed to buy it similar to how I did with the DSLite.
[21:11] <mackormoses> let's take a look at today's stats
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> stats today are high
[21:11] <mackormoses> holy intercourse ing poop
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> you adding all these standards
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> is really pushing us [/quote]
Quote from: JrDude φ on May 31, 2010, 08:32:13 PM
3 of my friends smoke weed. Why? Well I asked one time, and this is what they said: "Because I can blow out smoke and it makes me feel like a intercourse ing dragon"

Cornwad

I would say that the original DS handled better than the Lite and the DSi is the best, but the Lite is easier to play on. Does that make any sense?

Rayquarian

Quote from: Lotos on January 06, 2010, 09:19:41 AM
And I just got a DSi...
That's why you buy on release date and don't upgrade until it is necessary.

Custom

Quote from: Amir on March 23, 2010, 08:21:24 PM
That's why you buy on release date and don't upgrade until it is necessary.

My L button on my DS Lite was broken. ;-;

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

Theipaz

waggleing in public doesnt sound fun
Dying is easy, Living is the hard part.

Chris8492

Geez, i feel like my DSi is still new and now a 3D format?

Still gonna get it.

Custom

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

X-3

I'm somewhat curious about the full details. Guess I'll have to see more before making any real thoughts.

Cornwad

Nintendo's never made a bad portable yet. Virtual Boy wasn't portable.

Thirdkoopa

Quote from: Cornwad on March 24, 2010, 06:44:07 PM
Nintendo's never made a bad portable yet. Virtual Boy wasn't portable.
While Nintendo's never made a bad portable yet you can't deny that the first one in the portable line-ups have glaringly obvious flaws. You can also argue that the GB/Light weren't all that great but whatever; this isn't the thread to debate over it much. On top of that a gimmick is still a gimmick. As of late Nintendo along with other companies have done a nice job screwing over almost every single one of them.

Edit: As of late I've been repeating the same thing over and over again so here's a somewhat long quote I posted to sum most things of this up. This should make my stance much more clear;

Quote from: TK's opinions from every other site that he only pasted here now
now then the DS is probably my favorite handheld console so I don't really mind a lack of gameplay innovation since this sounds better than the announcement about containing motion sensors + It matters to me more if the titles are innovative.  I just really hope the 3D isn't overused a lot or when it's used it's actually used to improve gameplay, or better yet, optional.

For the rest it's neat to see at least an analog stick and rumored gamecube like graphics from a week back; Opens up the door to a good deal of potential

So on one hand we don't have anything particularly to shun this out yet based on the news we've gotten about it, and some of the news, or at least the rumored stuff sounds at least decent.

on the other hand considering how the phat played compared to the DSlite I'm heavily afraid that they'll make a partly half-assed controller scheme or find something to mess up upon  and then make a really good one 2 years later  with improvements that will force me to buy the same system twice. I hated having to sell my DS as soon as possible for a Lite.

so I shall just sit here and wait as the info comes along. We only have 3 months to go and i have enough on my hands right now just on gaming on it's own so I'll wait patiently.

Because in reality that's all we can do.
[21:11] <mackormoses> let's take a look at today's stats
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> stats today are high
[21:11] <mackormoses> holy intercourse ing poop
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> you adding all these standards
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> is really pushing us [/quote]
Quote from: JrDude φ on May 31, 2010, 08:32:13 PM
3 of my friends smoke weed. Why? Well I asked one time, and this is what they said: "Because I can blow out smoke and it makes me feel like a intercourse ing dragon"