News:

<+Clu> have you tried barbecuing the computer

Main Menu

Disapointments in gaming this generation?

Started by Tupin, September 24, 2010, 10:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tupin

I'm talking about the games that were hyped up to no end, but that now rest squarely in bargain bins because of their failures to live up to hype. I have played numerous. Haze showed promise but felt too generic. Turok also didn't live up to the previous games. I also don't know how Square-Enix allowed Just Cause 2 to be so much better than the original, yet that they even allowed Kane and Lynch 2 to exist. Seriously, Kane and Lynch 2 is one of the worst games I've ever played.

Obviously Sonic 2006, Sonic Unleashed, and Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis all suck, but that's really to be expected.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

jnfs2014

It's probably because the market is getting bigger, so they have to expand to a bigger crowd of people.

And Sonic Unleashed (360 and PS3) was okay in the day levels....as long as you compare it to Sonic 06, Sonic and the Secret Rings, and Sonic and the Black Knight.

Silverhawk79

Definitely The Conduit.
Don't get me wrong -- it wasn't terrible, but it certainly didn't live up to the hype.

Neerb

Sonic 06 DEFINITELY didn't live up to the hype.

Sonic Unleashed fell short, but it was far from terrible; I just wasn't expecting so much werehog crap and one of Sonic's worst stories ever.

The Conduit: once again, not bad, but didn't live up to the hype.

Metroid: Other M seems to be getting surprisingly mediocre reviews despite it's hype, and several people are mad off because Samus now has a personality vulnerable to horrid traumas instead of being a Master Chief with breasts like they thought she was (I played it a bit, and I personally thought the game seemed fine).

And of course, the two biggest non-Halo 3-related game hypes in memory, Twilight Princess and Brawl, had lots of things to be complained about... although, that may have just been nitpicking since they ended being "good" instead of "the games to end all games."

Nayrman

The Wii in general. I have never spent so little time playing one system. Hell, even the Neo Geo Pocket Color had comparable playtime by me.

Tupin

Quote from: Nayrman on September 25, 2010, 02:09:44 PM
The Wii in general. I have never spent so little time playing one system. Hell, even the Neo Geo Pocket Color had comparable playtime by me.
Nintendo should have put more power in the Wii, it can't do anything even close to other systems. It's port of Dead Rising can have like five zombies on screen at once. With those kinds of limitations, no wonder that developers don't make that many good games for the Wii. A lack of trying may be a part of it for some, but for others, it's too weak. It's a 2006 system made with technology that was nearly outdated then and is way outdated now.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Lotos

Quote from: Tupin on September 24, 2010, 10:58:13 PM
Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis

I thought it was a collection of multiple Genesis games?  It's probably worth the $20 I spent on it.  I just want to return the unopened PS3 copy I have to get one for my new 360.  I wish it had Moonwalker on it.

Oh, that's a disappointment now that I think of it.  The Wii's HD space and I can't back anything up legally.  I would spend more money on the VC if I could make a backup copy of the files and transfer them to another Wii, or even with the DSiWare.  I'm going to have to keep my DSi when the 3DS comes out.  I'd keep it anyway, but I would want the games on the 3DS.

SkyMyl

Pretty much the Wii in general.

Quote from: Lotos on September 25, 2010, 04:08:31 PM
I thought it was a collection of multiple Genesis games?  It's probably worth the $20 I spent on it.  I just want to return the unopened PS3 copy I have to get one for my new 360.  I wish it had Moonwalker on it.
Not Sonic's Genesis Collection, Lotos. Sonic Genesis.

Zero

The day stages in Sonic Unleased(360) were brilliant, but you shouldn't have to play through poop(night stages) to get to the brilliance. That's not how games work, but of course SEGA thinks Sonic needs a gimmick in every game to succeed. If something is horrendous most people are going to judge the entire game as a result. I was one of the few that played through the night stages JUST so I could unlock the day stages.

And really, the night stages became bearable when you unlocked all of the combos, but by that time your patience has more than likely worn thin. Still, I don't regret playing through that game and I still whip it out every once and a while, because its the ONLY Sonic game that lets Sonic even travel half as fast as he can truly run(not counting the SONIC SPEED stages that Sonic 06 had, I guess). I'm disappointed that Sonic Colors is a Wii exclusive, because I'd buy it if it was for the 360.

As for the thread topic I guess my biggest disappointment is also in the Wii. I have seven Wii games. LoZ: TP, SMG, SSBB, SMG2, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, PBR, and Metroid Prime 3. The only VC game I have is Sin and Punishment. This is an all time low for me on a Nintendo console. While there are a few games out there on the Wii I want, like NMH/NMH2 and Sin and Punishment 2, that still doesn't show for much. For comparison's sake I have 50 DS games, 40+ N64 games, 20+ SNES games(and growing), 20+ DC games, 30+ GCN games, 20+PS games, 40+ PS2 games, and 50 or so 360 games(with about 20+ XBLA titles too, technically 70 total).

The Wii's online functionality is terrible, the motion controls got old quickly, and Nintendo's "Seal" that they place on all of their licensed games has started to lose its sense of quality. There are games for the Wii that I'm sure people love and all that, but the Wii has not appealed to people like me, and its clear that the only reason I own one anymore is so I can play Nintendo's first/second party titles. Skyward Sword is probably the only Wii game I'll be buying in the next year, unless I get a massive amount of cash and go buy the other games I want.

tl;dr Nintendo needs to step up their game with their next console

Homewrecker

Quote from: Zero on September 25, 2010, 07:40:55 PM
As for the thread topic I guess my biggest disappointment is also in the Wii. I have seven Wii games. LoZ: TP, SMG, SSBB, SMG2, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, PBR, and Metroid Prime 3.
Six of which are first party titles. Look harder.

Cornwad

Quote from: Persephone on September 25, 2010, 10:03:11 PM
ftfy
What are you talking about? The 360 has MW2 and SSF4, the only two games you'll ever need to play until Black Ops and MvC3 come out, which are also on the 360.

Transient Link

I don't think it has disappointed me all too much. A few things about gaming in the past few years depressed me.

1. The wii not appealing nearly as much to hardcore gamers (however the last E3 has shown promise)
2. The 4th and (perhaps) final installment of the Jak and Daxter series, not promoted at all. To the point where I saw it for PS2 at Target and was like...when the hell did this come out? And was tempted to buy it. But seeing as it was not promoted at all I looked up reviews. Supposedly pretty bad. Which is a disappointment from sony. Jak and Daxter was one of the titles that got the PS2 going. Then again they really have neglected Sly, Ratchet, and Jak lately (of course once again E3 this year showed promise...)
3. Good game series going down hill. Twilight Princess was kind of boring for a Zelda game, still good, but just really blah. (Way too long of an intro before the game gets good IMO) Final Fantasy XII/XIII both games were so, so sub-par. I suppose you can't get much better than X but they could have tried a bit harder. They focussed too much on trying to revolutionize combat systems. All sports games. Yes even Madden. Don't you realize every year all they do is update the roster? With a few petty addons to try to con you into buying it. Meh, just meh EA. I just feel like every console is trying too hard to make that "hardcore shooter game". Think about how many are on the market these days. Its ridiculous.

Homewrecker

Quote from: Cornwad on September 25, 2010, 10:17:18 PM
What are you talking about? The 360 has MW2 and SSF4, the only two games you'll ever need to play until Black Ops and MvC3 come out, which are also on the 360.
None are actual exclusive titles, though.

Cornwad

Quote from: Persephone on September 25, 2010, 10:45:51 PM
None are actual exclusive titles, though.
Doesn't matter, because the PS3 controllers and online systems for both games aren't as good. Besides, exclusives in general are pretty stupid, they just limit the fan base.