News:

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

Main Menu

Super Mario Galaxy Review

Started by WiseWarrior, November 17, 2007, 04:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WiseWarrior

My 3rd review, no complaints about the lack of pictures please.  ;D

One of the first games I got was Super Mario 64. It remains today as my favorite game ever. The huge worlds were immersing and expertly designed, and made you want to come back for more. Super Mario Sunshine was fun, but didn't properly keep what Super Mario 64 started. So years later when the next generation Mario game is released, you could only hope it got better instead of continuing going down. Super Mario Galaxy shoots Mario sky high.

The game is centered around the classic story of Peach getting kidnapped by Bowser. However, SMG introduces a new character, Rosalina, who will help you through your journey. The central hub of the game is Rosalina's observatory. There are several domes, each of which house a few galaxys. By completing 1 dome, you unlock another. There are also other way of accessing galaxys, but this is the main way.

Since this game has so many great things, I'll start with the only 2 complaints I have. The first is the lack of big planets. None of the galaxys are bigger than a regular world in either of the previous installments in the series. While SMG makes up in quantity, I would have liked some of the huge worlds that made my Mario experience so enjoyable. My last, and less major issue is with the camera. Each Mario game so far has suffered from poor camera control, and this one is no exception. Since you'll be walking upsidown and sideways on many planets, it would have been nice to have the camera follow you. It does sometimes, but doesn't always keep up with the action.

Now on to the wonderful things, and this list is a long one. First of all this game is incredibly addicting. You won't want to put it down. Each of the 40+ galaxys is a superb addition, and unique. Lots of detailed, vibrant environments help to make this game a blast to play. The 14 bosses require you to think about how to defeat them, you can't just mash a button.

Each normal galaxy has 3 regular stars, with 1 hidden and 2 Prankster Comet stars. I'll explain about those. There are 5 different kinds-Speedy Comets, which require you to complete the set objective fast, Fast Foes, which speeds up your enemies, Daredevil Comet, which gives you only 1 health to perform an objective, usually defeating a boss, Cosmic Comet, which pits you against a shadow version of your self in a race through that world, and Purple Comet, which appear after you've beaten Bowser.

A Mario game wouldn't be complete without lots of awesome power-ups, and Super Mario Galaxy has a lot of them. Bee Mushrooms give you the ability to fly, Boo Mushrooms the ability to go through objects. Other, more traditional items, include the Fire Flower, and the Ice Flower, which allows you to walk on water. Overall all the little things Nintendo has popped in make a huge difference.

Score: (Not an average)
Gameplay: 10
Fun: 10
Sound: 10
Graphics: 9.5
Replay Value: 9.5
Total: 10

bug

if u give any aspect of the game under 10...then its IMPOSSIBLE for its total to be ten.

learn to take averages and ull become a better reviewer.

Dr.Hobo2

If you don't use proper grammar, then it's impossible for anybody to take you sereously. :| Also I'd like to point another thing out...
Quote from: WiseWarrior on November 17, 2007, 04:10:23 PM
My 3rd review, no complaints about the lack of pictures please.  ;D

Blah, blah, blah, reveiw stuff.

Score: (Not an average) <--look at the bold.
Gameplay: 10
Fun: 10
Sound: 10
Graphics: 9.5
Replay Value: 9.5
Total: 10

Anyways, good job on the reveiw. But there is one thing that I have to dissagree on you with is the part saying, "you to think about how to defeat them," there were bosses that were quite straight-forward in this game.

WiseWarrior

Lol at Bug, I said it wasn't an average, did you even read that? >_>

snowmonkey

People have low attention spans.  :P

Mystic

Quote from: WiseWarrior on November 25, 2007, 05:46:51 PM
But you can't get a perfect 10 to a game you already said wasn't perfect...

Ridley

Quote from: Mystic Swampert on December 08, 2007, 01:23:15 AM

I give it a 10 ;D
...Friend codes were probably implemented by the same people who wanted tripping in Brawl...
...It's quite obvious...

Nintendude92

My Favorite was SMB3. It's SMG nao. [:
I'm MarioBoy29. :o

Sig under construction, avatar to be updated. My sig is aincent.

Ridley

...Friend codes were probably implemented by the same people who wanted tripping in Brawl...
...It's quite obvious...

WiiGuy

I have the game, It's loads of fun and it takes time to play the game. so the more time with the game....the more fun you have :)

I give it a 10 ;D

Sports1

Nice review.

Sadly I don't have this game yet but I soon will after this, I will pick it up after work. :)

4me2kn0w

This game is a 10. ;D

The game play is really cool and so many diffrent things to do on every board. 8)

Now I just need to pick it back up again and beat it with Luigi. :D

Seanguy

Quote from: Ridley on December 23, 2007, 09:12:33 AM
Quote from: Mystic Swampert on December 08, 2007, 01:23:15 AM

I give it a 10 ;D
same here, it rocked!

Oren

Quote from: 4me2kn0w on January 27, 2008, 12:07:13 AM
This game is a 10. ;D

The game play is really cool and so many diffrent things to do on every board. 8)

Now I just need to pick it back up again and beat it with Luigi. :D
no no no its not a 10 its a 9.8 :D