News:

<+Clu> im 100% nigga

Main Menu

Portal severely overrated?

Started by Tsu, January 06, 2008, 09:21:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheDarkChief

overrated
it was genius, but it was like people saying it was the best game of the year all years. which obviously goes to SMRPG, those idiots

Homewrecker

It's a near flawless game for what it was. I thought it was a decent length, albeit lacking significantly in replay value.

Why judge a game on a really annoying and vocal fanbase comprised largely of people who never even played the game? Your logic is weird. All of your complaints have absolutely NOTHING to do with the game itself.

Quote from: Neerb on November 04, 2010, 07:45:35 PM
[spoiler]The cake is a TRUTH, you just can't have any.[/spoiler]

And the game is horribly overrated. IGN had a top 100 video game villains countdown... and GLADOS won. Seriously, IGN? Out of ALL the other video game villains, from Xehanort to Bowser to Liquid Snake to Ganondorf to Kefka to Sephiroth to Darth Vader (they counted him since he was in a game) to The Joker (same as Vader), they chose GLADOS. I always knew IGN had issues and Portal was overrated, but this topped it all.
What's the problem? GLaDOS is a very unique and interesting villain, with a multifaceted personality generally not seen in video game baddies. (Plus, Vader isn't even a video game villain, what gives?)

I'm not even a genuine Portal defense member, your arguments just seem trivial and don't have anything to do with the actual game itself. You're judging it within the context of the gaming community, not as an actual title itself.

This thread is stupid.

Neerb

Judging within the gaming community has EVERYTHING to do with determining how overrated a game is, seeing as how something can't be overrated in the first place if there aren't real life people giving it more glory than it deserves.

Now, if you want reasons why the game, as good as it is, doesn't deserve it's spectacular praise, I'll list a couple examples that, while small, are legitimate:
- Little-to-no story: I know, games don't NEED story to be good, such as almost every NES-SNES game, but story is nonetheless a desirable aspect of many modern games, and gamers such as myself who enjoy both playing AND plot/character development will find this a negative aspect
-Simplicity: once again, some people may like arcade games such as this, but plenty of people out there would like a bit more than orange portal, blue portal, and jump in our arsenal
-Blandness: the game looks boring as heck; it's white room after white room after white room after white room, until the end where it goes into dark brown rooms for a bit. It wouldn't hurt to add some variety to this dull dull world; in fact, that was my main complaint with The Legend of Zelda: Sepia Princess.
-Replay value: like you mentioned, this game is severely lacking in replay value. There aren't hidden worlds, special objectives, second quests, new items, multiplayer, new puzzles, or ANYTHING AT ALL to encourage replaying this game unless you just want to screw around with portals (which gets old a lot faster than you'd think) or hear GLaDOS talk again.
-Music: this game didn't even really have music outside of Still Alive, and as a huge fan of game music thanks to basically every Japanese-made game ever, I and many others see this as a downside, especially due to the fact that you're already alone in a monotonous world with no plot and one real character
-Originality: I'm a Nintendo fan, so playing Zelda 16 or Kirby 5 isn't exactly something I dislike, but for those who judge games based on what they contribute to the world of gaming (such as most professional reviewers), this game might not deserve its intense praise because it doesn't really add anything. We've had teleporting, we've had 1st person adventures, we've had humorous characters, we've had interesting villains, we've had silent protagonists, we've had puzzle adventures, and we've had everything I've already listed in this post.

I'm not saying Portal is by any means a bad game, because it is in fact a wonderful game. I'm simply saying that it gets more praise than it deserves, and it has plenty of faults depending on preference, just like most if not all games in existence. Even the great FPS games of modern day, or the mighty ground-breaking Ocarina of Time (which, when reviews are averaged, is LITERALLY and OFFICIALLY the highest rated game of all time) can get more praise than they deserve. Why? Because, like I said at the beginning of this post, a game being "overrated" is based entirely on how people in real life rate it.

The Seventh

I say the fads are justified, mostly, because the game has a unique style-using portals to solve puzzles, and the unique monolouge that goes with it.
meh

Allegretto

What the intercourse  is Legend of Zelda Sepia Princess?

The Seventh

Quote from: Schemer on November 06, 2010, 05:29:45 PM
What the intercourse  is Legend of Zelda Sepia Princess?
I think he was referring to Twilight Princess...perhaps making fun of the art direction?  I didn't think it was bland...
meh

Allegretto

Quote from: Alisaihin on November 07, 2010, 08:55:15 AM
I think he was referring to Twilight Princess...perhaps making fun of the art direction?  I didn't think it was bland...
He's kind of an idiot, and his opinions are derp.

Neerb

Insults and using "derp" in a sentence make for a powerful argument, but that doesn't change that Twilight Princess was one of the dullest looking Zelda games color-wise since Adventure of Link.

Of course, I love TP, but I greatly prefer more color. It doesn't have to be Wind Waker level, but I'd say at least Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask level is best. Skyward Sword, though... still not sure about that. It's basically still TP's art style in terms of character design, so giving it that sudden burst of color and cheeriness on top of the realistic models seems... odd. Getting used to it, though.

Allegretto

Quote from: Neerb on November 09, 2010, 05:54:01 PM
Insults and using "derp" in a sentence make for a powerful argument, but that doesn't change that Twilight Princess was one of the dullest looking Zelda games color-wise since Adventure of Link.

Of course, I love TP, but I greatly prefer more color. It doesn't have to be Wind Waker level, but I'd say at least Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask level is best. Skyward Sword, though... still not sure about that. It's basically still TP's art style in terms of character design, so giving it that sudden burst of color and cheeriness on top of the realistic models seems... odd. Getting used to it, though.
He didn't deserve the time for me to actually insult him.

Neerb

Potestas

Not really. I think Portal is a really good game. Not as amazing as Yahtzee Crosshaw makes it to be, but still good.

Click the sig to level it up. Go to Ichimonai.com to learn more.

Super

Anything made by Valve is severely overrated.

Level_9_Chao

As a normally non-FPS player, I loved Portal. It was way, way too short but hopefully Portal 2 fixes this. I dunno, I'd probably put it in my top 20 personal games of all time, mainly cuz it greatly supports screwing around.

But yeah, anything involving a meme in real life usually really gets to me, so anti-kudos to Portal for fueling the hipsters. Also the game.
Become a Failbook fan: Victory Road :3

The Game Boy Pocket.
Put it in your back pocket.
Sit down and it breaks.

Tsumaru

Holy dogpoop this is old.  And from my original account!

D: