News:

Our thoughts go to Silver and his family in this difficult time.

Main Menu

Kid Icarus Uprising

Started by Neerb, October 05, 2011, 07:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nayrman

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on March 16, 2012, 02:51:07 PM
I guess you mean one without numbers?

Yeah, one without numbers. I would prefer just a review but can I understand why they do a letter/number system. But I know they wont. Oh well.

Neerb

Quote from: Pennington on March 16, 2012, 05:18:51 PM
...I heard Antony Del Rio and Tara Strong. The former's Twitter account confirms that he did, in fact, voice Pit (and Dark Pit) for Kid Icarus: Uprising. As for the latter, I haven't seen any confirmation.

Well, if Pit's anime VA is on board, I suppose that would mean Ali Hillis is on as well.

Real shame; I was fairly excited for Tara Strong to play such a large role in a Nintendo title. Ah well, at least Nintendo is actually trying with VAs instead of their usual silent protagonists or Star Fox nonsense. Also, apparently Ali Hillis is Lightning's actress from Final Fantasy, so I guess it's not like she's too new to voicing game characters.

DededeCloneChris

The "Star Fox nonsense" stopped when Assault came out, I'd say.

Tupin

I could swear Tara Strong voiced Palutena in-game, that's who I've heard voice her since the trailers came out. Apparently not, can't find any info that she did.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Neerb

Quote from: Tupin on March 16, 2012, 10:22:03 PM
I could swear Tara Strong voiced Palutena in-game, that's who I've heard voice her since the trailers came out. Apparently not, can't find any info that she did.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Unfortunately, while various sites have claimed either Tara Strong or Ali Hillis is voicing her, I've found no official source (Nintendo or either of the actresses) claiming so, and it would therefore seem most likely that Hillis is in the game since she's credited for the anime.

Kayo

According to Ali Hillis's Wikipedia page, she voices Palutena in Kid Icarus: Uprising. Tara Strong's doesn't even mention it.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Doodle

Quote from: NoiseHunterChris on March 16, 2012, 09:38:07 PM
The "Star Fox nonsense" stopped when Assault came out, I'd say.
I really liked Assault's voice acting
I kind of wish they use those VAs for SF643D.
YEAH

Neerb

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997768-kid-icarus-uprising/62260756

Tourney attendee discusses his experience, including more complicated stuff like potential weapon tiers and multiplayer strategies.

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Doodle on March 18, 2012, 03:08:26 PM
I really liked Assault's voice acting
I kind of wish they use those VAs for SF643D.
Oh, they did...

Except Japan used THEIR Assault VAs.

Neerb

http://ds.ign.com/articles/122/1221062p1.html

IGN gives the somewhat predictable score of 8.5. They criticize the controls hurting their hands (which I'm starting to not believe since the other 3 reviewers said no such thing and I was perfectly fine playing the last 7 years of DS titles that way), but they say it's too fun to stop playing.

They especially praised the replay value, which they gave a 10, because apparently this game is FREAKING HUGE (for a 3DS title):

-12 hour single-player, consisting of usually 10-minute missions (which must be a ton of missions)
-doors and chests only available at higher difficulty, increasing the campaign's replay value
-over 100 unlockable weapons, which can actually vary in stats and abilities, making it more like thousands of weapons
-over 300 "achievements," some of which grant perks
-fairly good multiplayer (though framerate can drop when six fighters get too hectic)

They also praise the visuals and sound; the game is beautiful, the soundtrack is memorable, and the banter is hilarious and cheerful, if not a bit distracting.

Edit: more reviews are coming in.

Game Informer gives the game a 7, praising and criticizing the exact same things IGN does. I suppose they just thought the painful controls were a bigger issue?

Destructoid gave the record low so far with a mere 5, again praising visuals, sound, and content, but making the case that the controls aren't just painful in the ground sections, they're flat out BAD and don't work regardless of how comfortable they are.

EGM gives the game an 8.5, Nintendo Life gives it a 9, and Eurogamer gives it a 9; haven't read any of those three in depth, though.

Kayo

"Bawwwwww my hands hurt"

I fail to recognize this as legitimate criticism.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Pennington on March 19, 2012, 12:25:24 PM
"Bawwwwww my hands hurt"

I fail to recognize this as legitimate criticism.
Well, I hit my toe against the table when playing MK7.

-1!

Kayo

Quote from: NoiseHunterChris on March 19, 2012, 12:50:33 PM
Well, I hit my toe against the table when playing MK7.

-1!
I was playing Skyward Sword when I swung my hand into a table. Therefore it was a horrible game.
[move][/move]

Neerb

Quote from: Pennington on March 19, 2012, 01:04:34 PM
I was playing Skyward Sword when I swung my hand into a table. Therefore it was a horrible game.

Wii Sports must have received 0s across the board when it first came out.

Seriously, though, the game seems fine; comfort may be an issue, but with 13 reviews so far and a current Metacritic score of 83 (not even counting Famitsu's perfect score), I think it's safe to say this is a good game, and Destructoid is just being ridiculous (they gave the same poor score to Sonic Colors and Mario Kart 7, after all).

Kayo

Quote from: Neerb on March 19, 2012, 03:25:17 PM
Wii Sports must have received 0s across the board when it first came out.

Seriously, though, the game seems fine; comfort may be an issue, but with 13 reviews so far and a current Metacritic score of 83 (not even counting Famitsu's perfect score), I think it's safe to say this is a good game, and Destructoid is just being ridiculous (they gave the same poor score to Sonic Colors and Mario Kart 7, after all).
Of course it's a good game. Everyone whining about the discomfort and the lefthandedness should just grow the intercourse  up. I mean, they even give you a free 3DS stand with your game, and some people act like they care nothing about the players' comfort. Really, now.
[move][/move]