News:

UH SOMETHING BROKE HANG ON

Main Menu

Kid Icarus Uprising

Started by Neerb, October 05, 2011, 07:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Pennington on March 21, 2012, 06:43:44 PM
Nothing before the game, but he's pretty intercourse in' awesome.
I just love unique voice actors. It's very nice to see one person voice just one character instead of finding that voice actor voicing someone else in another game with the same voice. I'm glaring at you, JYB.

Doodle

Quote from: NoiseHunterChris on March 21, 2012, 09:42:37 PM
I just love unique voice actors. It's very nice to see one person voice just one character instead of finding that voice actor voicing someone else in another game with the same voice. I'm glaring at you, JYB.
I don't mind it if the VA is talented and doesn't just sound the same for every character they portray.
YEAH

Neerb

So, I walked into GameStop the second it opened today and picked up my pre-ordered copy (I was on my way to class, anyway, and I'm gonna be working to late to pick it up later today).

After going through every part of the menu multiple times, scanning my cards, setting up weapon sets, going into practice mode for at least 12 minutes with my three current weapons, playing through the first two stages in single player on 4 difficulty (2 is standard, and by 4 it's starting to get challenging), and playing with some level 5 cpus on a Light vs Dark match, I can say that yes, it does hurt your hand, specifically the left pinky and ring finger (though I never used the stand, so I'm not sure if that helps yet). The controls take some getting used to as well; it's disorienting at first, and you DEFINITELY need to max the sensitivity before you go anywhere in the game, and I'm actually still getting used to the camera control.

But DANG if this isn't a fun game. The dialog's funny, it looks beautiful, it has a ton of menus, and there's just something REALLY fun about the gameplay despite it's awkwardness. This game is awesome, plain and simple. Oh, and the multiplayer is very intense; it felt fairly different than single player, but you should get used to the controls in single player first anyway.

Kayo

Quote from: The True Nicolas Cage on March 23, 2012, 11:40:37 AM
So, I walked into GameStop the second it opened today and picked up my pre-ordered copy (I was on my way to class, anyway, and I'm gonna be working to late to pick it up later today).

After going through every part of the menu multiple times, scanning my cards, setting up weapon sets, going into practice mode for at least 12 minutes with my three current weapons, playing through the first two stages in single player on 4 difficulty (2 is standard, and by 4 it's starting to get challenging), and playing with some level 5 cpus on a Light vs Dark match, I can say that yes, it does hurt your hand, specifically the left pinky and ring finger (though I never used the stand, so I'm not sure if that helps yet). The controls take some getting used to as well; it's disorienting at first, and you DEFINITELY need to max the sensitivity before you go anywhere in the game, and I'm actually still getting used to the camera control.

But DANG if this isn't a fun game. The dialog's funny, it looks beautiful, it has a ton of menus, and there's just something REALLY fun about the gameplay despite it's awkwardness. This game is awesome, plain and simple. Oh, and the multiplayer is very intense; it felt fairly different than single player, but you should get used to the controls in single player first anyway.
"Max the sensitivity"? What exactly are you referring to?
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Neerb

Quote from: Pennington on March 23, 2012, 12:13:09 PM
"Max the sensitivity"? What exactly are you referring to?

There is a ridiculous amount of control customization in this game, from moving with the ABXY buttons to horizontally inverting the touch aiming. One such customization feature is the speed (I suppose "sensitivity" isn't quite the right word) of the reticle when aiming. This determines how fast the reticle on the top screen will reach the place where your stylus is pointing on the bottom screen. The default speed makes the recticle lag a bit behind the stylus, making it slower causes the reticle to move even slower across the screen, and making it faster makes the reticle try harder to keep up. Maxing this speed, both vertically and horizontally, on both Air and Ground controls (two separate menus), practically gives you 1:1 aiming, and I personally prefer it greatly to the default slow-moving reticle.

Also, I happened to use the stand while playing the third level a few minutes ago, and it helps a lot; it completely takes the pressure off of my ring and pinky finger, and while I suppose I haven't done more than 30 minutes of stand time at once, I didn't feel any discomfort except my crouching over (I'm currently at a lower desk than the one at my house). Get the right height surface to set the stand on, and I'd say it was definitely a good idea for Sakurai to package this thing in with the game.

Kayo

Quote from: The True Nicolas Cage on March 23, 2012, 02:01:28 PM
There is a ridiculous amount of control customization in this game, from moving with the ABXY buttons to horizontally inverting the touch aiming. One such customization feature is the speed (I suppose "sensitivity" isn't quite the right word) of the reticle when aiming. This determines how fast the reticle on the top screen will reach the place where your stylus is pointing on the bottom screen. The default speed makes the recticle lag a bit behind the stylus, making it slower causes the reticle to move even slower across the screen, and making it faster makes the reticle try harder to keep up. Maxing this speed, both vertically and horizontally, on both Air and Ground controls (two separate menus), practically gives you 1:1 aiming, and I personally prefer it greatly to the default slow-moving reticle.

Also, I happened to use the stand while playing the third level a few minutes ago, and it helps a lot; it completely takes the pressure off of my ring and pinky finger, and while I suppose I haven't done more than 30 minutes of stand time at once, I didn't feel any discomfort except my crouching over (I'm currently at a lower desk than the one at my house). Get the right height surface to set the stand on, and I'd say it was definitely a good idea for Sakurai to package this thing in with the game.
See; if the stand helps, and they GIVE IT TO YOU FOR FREE, then reviewers should say that. The only reason they experienced discomfort is because they didn't use the stand... and it was packaged WITH THE GAME for a reason. Too bad most reviewers are too one-sided to mention that the free stand eliminates the problem.

I'll have to remember that sensitivity/speed thing. Sadly I don't have the game now, but I'll be getting it later tonight when I'm not stranded at home by myself like a loner.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

zephilicious

every review i've read mentions the stand and says its at best a partial fix for something that shouldnt have been broken in the first place.
~~ <3

Kayo

Quote from: zephilicious on March 23, 2012, 04:00:07 PM
every review i've read mentions the stand and says its at best a partial fix for something that shouldnt have been broken in the first place.
There's no way to make controls like that completely flawless, so be quiet. It was nice enough of them to include a free stand, and I consider that a good move on their part that balances out the control issue.
[move][/move]

Neerb

The stand removes the pain, it doesn't remove the awkwardness, which reviewers could genuinely complain about.

Thankfully, it's not game-breakingly-bad; I have a good tolerance for such things and get used to them fairly quickly, and absolutely EVERYTHING else about the game is awesome enough to make you want to keep playing.

Kayo

Why do I get the feeling I won't be bothered at all by the controls?
[move][/move]

Zero

Quote from: Pennington on March 23, 2012, 04:27:03 PM
Why do I get the feeling I won't be bothered at all by the controls?

because you can't look at anything objectively

Kayo

Just got the game, ninnyes.

Just like I expected, my pre-order DLC code was on the new receipt, so I have to remember to do that.

Also, it only cost $29.99, minus the $5 deposit. Weird, I was expecting to spend $40 on this. Life is good.
[move][/move]

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Pennington on March 23, 2012, 06:15:39 PM
Just got the game, ninnyes.

Just like I expected, my pre-order DLC code was on the new receipt, so I have to remember to do that.

Also, it only cost $29.99, minus the $5 deposit. Weird, I was expecting to spend $40 on this. Life is good.
Where did you buy it from? Best Buy?

Kayo

[move][/move]