News:

<+Clu> im 100% nigga

Main Menu

Kid Icarus Uprising

Started by Neerb, October 05, 2011, 07:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kayo

Quote from: Not Sad Keanu on March 28, 2012, 06:25:13 AM
Which is precisely why the system should make everyone happy. It's a pretty great feature.
Not really. Nothing's more disheartening than playing on a higher level, only to drop down to a lower one than you previously beat it at. It makes a complete waste of time, and I'd honestly rather have half as many checkpoints but without the mandatory intensity drop (or a smaller stop at least) than the current system.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Hero_of_Darkness

Good news: The game did surprisingly well in Japan, especially for a game of this genre.

zephilicious

Quote from: Pennington on March 28, 2012, 02:48:02 PM
Not really. Nothing's more disheartening than playing on a higher level, only to drop down to a lower one than you previously beat it at. It makes a complete waste of time, and I'd honestly rather have half as many checkpoints but without the mandatory intensity drop (or a smaller stop at least) than the current system.

the number of checkpoints is irrelevant.

if you died on hard you didnt beat it on hard. if you're just playing to get though the game who cares you picked a difficulty that was too hard for you. if you're replaying it just to beat on hard, you darn well better be able to beat it on hard, and thats a good thing.
~~ <3

Kayo

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on March 28, 2012, 04:08:58 PM
Good news: The game did surprisingly well in Japan, especially for a game of this genre.
I sense another Kid Icarus game within the next 5 years.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Zero

Quote from: zephilicious on March 28, 2012, 04:17:31 PM
the number of checkpoints is irrelevant.

if you died on hard you didnt beat it on hard. if you're just playing to get though the game who cares you picked a difficulty that was too hard for you. if you're replaying it just to beat on hard, you darn well better be able to beat it on hard, and thats a good thing.

Pretty much this Kayo.

It isn't a waste of time if you're good enough to do it. Get better.

Nayrman

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on March 28, 2012, 04:08:58 PM

I was about to post this when I suddenly couldn't access this site. *shakes fist at Silver*.

How well did it do in America/Europe? I'm hoping due to the good sales (so far) that hopefully this means a) a sequel, and b) Nintendo actually trys some new things after a number of years of sequelitis/minigames.

Kayo

Quote from: Not Sad Keanu on March 28, 2012, 05:04:48 PM
Pretty much this Kayo.

It isn't a waste of time if you're good enough to do it. Get better.
You know how long these missions are, right? If you play a 30-minute mission and have difficulty with the boss, And you fail each time you get there, how are you going to practice facing that boss on such a high difficulty? Having to play through 25 minutes of stuff before getting to a boss that you're still trying to figure out on such an intensity level would make anyone lose interest after a few tries. Don't try to lie and say you wouldn't.

Maybe there would at least be some way to practice facing the bosses at any difficulty level, since that's pretty much my issue. Then you could get used to a boss at 9.0 and be able to do it no problem if you happen to make it that far in the mission without dying.
[move][/move]

Nayrman

I lean a bit towards Pennington in this case.

I don't think they should force you to lower your difficulty, but heavily recommend it. You can slide it back up to where you were if you so chose. I never like the idea of forcing something on a player. You punish them by failing by taking away their hearts and such. If they really want to try to get through something on level 9 or so, let them. If they continue to fail, well, they'll get crap hearts.

Kayo

Quote from: Nayrman on March 29, 2012, 08:24:11 AM
I lean a bit towards Pennington in this case.

I don't think they should force you to lower your difficulty, but heavily recommend it. You can slide it back up to where you were if you so chose. I never like the idea of forcing something on a player. You punish them by failing by taking away their hearts and such. If they really want to try to get through something on level 9 or so, let them. If they continue to fail, well, they'll get crap hearts.
Exactly, because you already lose a bunch of hearts upon death, and the forced intensity drop makes them harder to get back. Whenever I enter a new chapter on a high difficulty, I usually regret it. Because if I'm unfamiliar with everything, I die from those weird surprises and stuff I should have been prepared for, and I ultimately finish the chapter with less hearts than I started with.

I'd rather be able to start at a checkpoint and continue with my 9.0 difficulty, most likely dying more than I would if I got a difficulty drop. And for those who'd think that the game's just holding my hand there, I point over to my heart count, which would probably be in the single-digits. It might take me 4 tries to get to the next checkpoint without dying, so I'm still being challenged. And I'm rapidly losing hearts to make it even more annoying.

Basically, heart loss and intensity drop are the two consequences to death. Heart loss is entirely fair, intensity drop is a different story.
[move][/move]

DededeCloneChris

The game does have checkpoints...except they only work when you die.

Kayo

Quote from: NoiseHunterChris on March 29, 2012, 10:40:08 AM
The game does have checkpoints...except they only work when you die.
Please tell me how this is relevant

Or at least explain a bit further what point you're trying to make
[move][/move]

DededeCloneChris

Eh, just throwing it out.

Oh, by the way, here's a pointer. Chapters with green laurels are chapters that you couldn't find all the chests. Yellow/Golden laurels mean you got all the chests.

Kayo

Quote from: NoiseHunterChris on March 29, 2012, 11:40:50 AM
Eh, just throwing it out.

Oh, by the way, here's a pointer. Chapters with green laurels are chapters that you couldn't find all the chests. Yellow/Golden laurels mean you got all the chests.
Yeah, I figured this out. Almost half of the chapters I unlocked so far I found everything in, so I have to go back to the others.
[move][/move]

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Nayrman on March 29, 2012, 06:45:23 AM
I was about to post this when I suddenly couldn't access this site. *shakes fist at Silver*.

How well did it do in America/Europe? I'm hoping due to the good sales (so far) that hopefully this means a) a sequel, and b) Nintendo actually trys some new things after a number of years of sequelitis/minigames.
No info on western sales yet. Wait until next week for Europe and two weeks from now for US. I might post the info, but I'm really mad-off with Nintendo right now due to a conclusion that I came to (and it's within reason), so I really don't want to hear about this company succeeding right now.

Kayo

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on March 29, 2012, 02:57:21 PM
No info on western sales yet. Wait until next week for Europe and two weeks from now for US. I might post the info, but I'm really mad-off with Nintendo right now due to a conclusion that I came to (and it's within reason), so I really don't want to hear about this company succeeding right now.
What's this "conclusion"?
[move][/move]