News:

Change is coming. HOPE CHANGE UNITY

Main Menu

Kid Icarus Uprising

Started by Neerb, October 05, 2011, 07:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Pennington on March 29, 2012, 05:47:39 PM
So buy the game then board a plane to Japan where you proceed to piss on Nintendo's HQ building.
Can I ruin Iwata's hair?

Kayo

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on March 29, 2012, 05:52:52 PM
Can I ruin Iwata's hair?
No, but you can put laxatives in his food.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Pennington on March 29, 2012, 05:54:56 PM
No, but you can put laxatives in his food.
Dammit, why does everyone have to love the hair? :|

My overreaction phase is over, anyway. I guess I'll buy it new for the stand...

Kayo

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on March 29, 2012, 06:03:11 PM
Dammit, why does everyone have to love the hair? :|

My overreaction phase is over, anyway. I guess I'll buy it new for the stand...
I'm finding more use for it than intended; it's a nice place to rest your 3DS for drawing Swapnotes, and it's also a fancy little place to put my DS on my desk when I'm playing Pokemon while intercourse ing around on the internet, since it keeps the screen at exactly my eye level so I can be as lazy as possible :D
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Pennington on March 29, 2012, 07:57:43 PM
I'm finding more use for it than intended; it's a nice place to rest your 3DS for drawing Swapnotes, and it's also a fancy little place to put my DS on my desk when I'm playing Pokemon while intercourse ing around on the internet, since it keeps the screen at exactly my eye level so I can be as lazy as possible :D
Yeah. It seems like it would be great for Ace Attorney, too.

Neerb

I gotta say, when Sakurai first announced the stand, I really doubted its usefulness. I took one look at it and thought, "So? Will it really even matter that much?" After playing a good deal of KI:U, however, I can say that it is indeed a shocking improvement to the game.

Zero

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on March 29, 2012, 02:57:21 PM
No info on western sales yet. Wait until next week for Europe and two weeks from now for US. I might post the info, but I'm really mad-off with Nintendo right now due to a conclusion that I came to (and it's within reason), so I really don't want to hear about this company succeeding right now.

At least Nintendo continues to make games that stand out in the industry. This industry is becoming so clouded by certain types of games that attacking Nintendo when they're somewhat of a beacon of hope for gamers like myself seems dickish.

Nayrman

Quote from: Not Sad Keanu on March 30, 2012, 10:37:52 AM
At least Nintendo continues to make games that stand out in the industry. This industry is becoming so clouded by certain types of games that attacking Nintendo when they're somewhat of a beacon of hope for gamers like myself seems dickish.

A heh heh heh. "games that stand out". You mean how the past 6-7 years has been nothing but sequelitis for their main series like Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon? We finally get new DK and Kirby games but 2 out of those 3 were just "New Mario Bros."-ifying of those two series. They don't so much stand out as are just highly marketable without having to put effort into the marketing.

To be honest I think this is the first game in ages Nintendo (although I think more of the credit goes to Sora) seems to have actually tried something different from what they normally do, and actually put resources to it. After all, this is the company that took one look at Dinosaur Planet and said "Yeah, let's just put Star Fox on it and it'll sell" and so on.

Zero

Quote from: Nayrman on March 30, 2012, 12:46:21 PM

A heh heh heh. "games that stand out". You mean how the past 6-7 years has been nothing but sequelitis for their main series like Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon? We finally get new DK and Kirby games but 2 out of those 3 were just "New Mario Bros."-ifying of those two series. They don't so much stand out as are just highly marketable without having to put effort into the marketing.

To be honest I think this is the first game in ages Nintendo (although I think more of the credit goes to Sora) seems to have actually tried something different from what they normally do, and actually put resources to it. After all, this is the company that took one look at Dinosaur Planet and said "Yeah, let's just put Star Fox on it and it'll sell" and so on.

It's far better than what Sony and Microsoft have been investing in. Endless amounts of First-Person shooters/third-person shooters. Endless. These genres are so over-made that they just are not fun anymore. So many good ideas get thrown out the window just because publishers simply are not interested in a game that is not an FPS/TPS. The only exception I can really think of at the moment is the Uncharted series. Maybe Gears of War(this series really popularized cover in shooting games, which is great. The series has a poopty story though.) People also like Just Cause and GTA for their sand-box nature. I can't say I'm a fan of any of these except Uncharted.

Take Double-Fine for example. They recently started a kickstarter project because no publisher would take them seriously if they came to them with an Adventure game. How isn't this a problem in the industry?

This is coming from someone who practically abandoned Nintendo at the start of the current generation and invested in a PS3/360. I bought a Wii at launch and did not play it much at all until about last year or so.

If it isn't broken, don't fix it. I don't really see the problem here. Mario Galaxy brought enough new concepts to not fit into what you're trying to criticize Nintendo for. As far as DKCR, goes, DKC3 came out in what, 1997? It's been 15 years. I don't see the problem. Epic Yarn was something different even though it was a platformer(which is a genre we hardly see these days unless its from Nintendo to begin with).

What exactly do you want them to do with their existing IP's besides kill them? From a business standpoint, killing your successful IP's makes absolutely no sense. Take too many risks with them and you alienate your fanbase. Take too little risks and your fanbase grows bored(like you, I guess).

Zero

Double post for further clarification:

Other M was a huge risk. Changing the Metroid formula to all hell, etc. It was also in the bargain bin within two months of release. I got mine for 13 bucks off Amazon. Go to any Best Buy and they have tons of them in the clearance section.

In comparison, Prime 3 was modestly successful but it was the 4th sequel in an established series that itself was a risk. It was not as quick to reach the bargain bin.

It's a huge gamble as to whether or not a risk will succeed. Pissing off fans sucks for a Publisher/Developer

Nayrman

Quote from: Not Sad Keanu on March 30, 2012, 02:00:08 PM
It's far better than what Sony and Microsoft have been investing in. Endless amounts of First-Person shooters/third-person shooters. Endless. These genres are so over-made that they just are not fun anymore. So many good ideas get thrown out the window just because publishers simply are not interested in a game that is not an FPS/TPS. The only exception I can really think of at the moment is the Uncharted series. Maybe Gears of War(this series really popularized cover in shooting games, which is great. The series has a poopty story though.) People also like Just Cause and GTA for their sand-box nature. I can't say I'm a fan of any of these except Uncharted.

Uh, Uncharted IS a Third Person shooter. And a stupidly overrated one at that. And sandbox had it's day in the sun half a decade ago. And where did I mention the other companies were any better?

Take Double-Fine for example. They recently started a kickstarter project because no publisher would take them seriously if they came to them with an Adventure game. How isn't this a problem in the industry?

It is a problem. I never said it wasn't.

This is coming from someone who practically abandoned Nintendo at the start of the current generation and invested in a PS3/360. I bought a Wii at launch and did not play it much at all until about last year or so.

If it isn't broken, don't fix it. I don't really see the problem here. Mario Galaxy brought enough new concepts to not fit into what you're trying to criticize Nintendo for. As far as DKCR, goes, DKC3 came out in what, 1997? It's been 15 years. I don't see the problem. Epic Yarn was something different even though it was a platformer(which is a genre we hardly see these days unless its from Nintendo to begin with).

"Look at all the first person shooters wah! But if Nintendo just rehashes the same ideas over and over again it's totally ok and still original." That's all I'm getting out of this. DKCR was ok but the fact that it went back to a same old tried and true formula when EVERYONE was doing the new Mario Wii thing just kind of put it in the same pile as everything else. (As a note, Rayman Origins is still the best New Mario Wii game). Epic Yarn's problem is that it didn't do anything at all. It was a cute platformer sure but that was it.

What exactly do you want them to do with their existing IP's besides kill them? From a business standpoint, killing your successful IP's makes absolutely no sense. Take too many risks with them and you alienate your fanbase. Take too little risks and your fanbase grows bored(like you, I guess).

I'm not saying kill the IP's, I'm talking either make some NEW IP's or do something different with the existing ones. I love Mario games and all that but when I'm paying full price for a game I essentially already played when I was four it starts to get really grating. Especially considering that's ALL they'd been doing the last number of years.

Quote from: Not Sad Keanu on March 30, 2012, 02:10:47 PM
Double post for further clarification:

Other M was a huge risk. Changing the Metroid formula to all hell, etc. It was also in the bargain bin within two months of release. I got mine for 13 bucks off Amazon. Go to any Best Buy and they have tons of them in the clearance section.

Other M was a huge risk but ultimately didn't get anywhere near the resources needed to make it successful. Bad translation, bad acting and music, some good ideas that clearly weren't implemented as well as they could. This feels like a joint project more between the B teams of Nintendo and Team Ninja than one that actually got real notice. Hell, Metroid Prime was essentially dumped off to some no name studio that happened to have actual talent. Part of the problem with Other M is that it just wasn't a very good game, so that's probably why it is in the bargain bin.

In comparison, Prime 3 was modestly successful but it was the 4th sequel in an established series that itself was a risk. It was not as quick to reach the bargain bin.

It's a huge gamble as to whether or not a risk will succeed. Pissing off fans sucks for a Publisher/Developer
Yeah, it does but otherwise you make the same game every time and have no reason to give your fans to buy anything. Really, why should I buy a WiiU when ultimately I'm going to be getting the same problems Nintendo has been plagued with for decades now? One or two really good first party games a year and god awful third party support because they don't make their tech worth anything, nor make the system architecture easy to make ports for. You see why we're concerned about those reports about the WiiU.

zephilicious

all of your arguments apply to everyone else as well

nintendo rehashes within franchises, but at least each franchise is different and they put a couple of years in between major releases.
~~ <3

Neerb

Nintendo has 1st party series, ICONIC series at that, in almost every single genre, each of which clearly takes on that genre's attributes while still managing to feel fairly unique amid others of the genre.

You want platforming? Mario, Kirby, Wario and DK got your back. You want an RPG? Pokemon, Golden Sun, Mario, Mother (if you're willing to import old games), take your pick. Sports games? Mario for "core," Mii for casual. How about Minigames/Rhythm? Warioware, Mii, Rhythm Heaven, Donkey Konga had three games, or, well looky here, Mario. Rail Shooting? A bit rarer, but Star Fox and Sin & Punishment have their time in the sun. Action-Adventure? Zelda if you like Fantasy, Metroid if you like Sci-Fi. Racer? F-Zero and, hey, we're back to Mario. Strategy? Fire Emblem is turn-based, Pikmin is real time, and Famicom Wars split itself into both with Advance Wars as turn-based and Battalion Wars as real time. Simulator? Pilot Wings has flight, Nintendogs has pet, Animal Crossing has life. Fighter? Super Smash Bros. lets you use your favorite characters from all those other series. Shooter? He's sorry to keep you waiting, but Kid Icarus has finally returned and filled that long-awaited spot. And then you have the massive list of spin-offs that fall into other categories, or the one-shot games that don't seem to have any real category at all.

Sure, technically not every slot is filled (Survival Horror doesn't have any real Nintendo Icons at the lead, unless you want to count Luigi), and Nintendo games are so out there that not everyone will like them (Sakurai's series are very unconventional, for example), but for the most part, if you want it, you can find a Nintendo version that people are already obsessed over.

That, my friends, is why I just don't care when people complain about Nintendo not doing anything "new," because
1. Nintendo already does everything they need to. Almost any genre I want to check out, and Nintendo has a series with a rich history, colorful characters, and a fanbase not half as obnoxious as any given 3rd party just waiting for me to play, either for the first time or for the twelfth time.
2. There's a REASON Nintendo has lasted as long as it has; Super Mario 3D Land may be the umpteenth Mario platformer, but it's still fun as freaking heck because Nintendo knows exactly how to make it. Heck, Nintendo games are so good that the same people who bash it for unoriginality will actually DEMAND FOR THEM TO BE UNORIGINAL; how many times have you heard people say they want ANOTHER Pikmin or F-Zero in the past several years?
3. Nintendo is such a ridiculously huge company when it comes to owning iconic series that they still make plenty of fairly original titles, and the only people who whine are the people that don't play them. While Ubisoft fans are playing their 5th Assassin's Creed or Microsoft fans are playing their 6th Halo and are calling Nintendo "unoriginal" for making another Mario and Zelda, they fail to see that in addition to Mario, Nintendo has also come out with three great original games, or even published some great 3rd party exclusives, right under their colossal noses.

Nintendo is no less original than any other company; if anything, they're more original, given that their 30-something series and annual new ips all had to start somewhere and are still going strong after anywhere from 25 to 2 years. The fact that we're on the 17th page of discussion about a 25-year-old Nintendo series that has just become the most original shooter since Halo should testify to that.

Flying Chickens

Quote from: The True Nicolas Cage on March 30, 2012, 07:16:53 PM
Nintendo has 1st party series, ICONIC series at that, in almost every single genre, each of which clearly takes on that genre's attributes while still managing to feel fairly unique amid others of the genre.

You want platforming? Mario, Kirby, Wario and DK got your back. You want an RPG? Pokemon, Golden Sun, Mario, Mother (if you're willing to import old games), take your pick. Sports games? Mario for "core," Mii for casual. How about Minigames/Rhythm? Warioware, Mii, Rhythm Heaven, Donkey Konga had three games, or, well looky here, Mario. Rail Shooting? A bit rarer, but Star Fox and Sin & Punishment have their time in the sun. Action-Adventure? Zelda if you like Fantasy, Metroid if you like Sci-Fi. Racer? F-Zero and, hey, we're back to Mario. Strategy? Fire Emblem is turn-based, Pikmin is real time, and Famicom Wars split itself into both with Advance Wars as turn-based and Battalion Wars as real time. Simulator? Pilot Wings has flight, Nintendogs has pet, Animal Crossing has life. Fighter? Super Smash Bros. lets you use your favorite characters from all those other series. Shooter? He's sorry to keep you waiting, but Kid Icarus has finally returned and filled that long-awaited spot. And then you have the massive list of spin-offs that fall into other categories, or the one-shot games that don't seem to have any real category at all.

Sure, technically not every slot is filled (Survival Horror doesn't have any real Nintendo Icons at the lead, unless you want to count Luigi), and Nintendo games are so out there that not everyone will like them (Sakurai's series are very unconventional, for example), but for the most part, if you want it, you can find a Nintendo version that people are already obsessed over.

That, my friends, is why I just don't care when people complain about Nintendo not doing anything "new," because
1. Nintendo already does everything they need to. Almost any genre I want to check out, and Nintendo has a series with a rich history, colorful characters, and a fanbase not half as obnoxious as any given 3rd party just waiting for me to play, either for the first time or for the twelfth time.
2. There's a REASON Nintendo has lasted as long as it has; Super Mario 3D Land may be the umpteenth Mario platformer, but it's still fun as freaking heck because Nintendo knows exactly how to make it. Heck, Nintendo games are so good that the same people who bash it for unoriginality will actually DEMAND FOR THEM TO BE UNORIGINAL; how many times have you heard people say they want ANOTHER Pikmin or F-Zero in the past several years?
3. Nintendo is such a ridiculously huge company when it comes to owning iconic series that they still make plenty of fairly original titles, and the only people who whine are the people that don't play them. While Ubisoft fans are playing their 5th Assassin's Creed or Microsoft fans are playing their 6th Halo and are calling Nintendo "unoriginal" for making another Mario and Zelda, they fail to see that in addition to Mario, Nintendo has also come out with three great original games, or even published some great 3rd party exclusives, right under their colossal noses.

Nintendo is no less original than any other company; if anything, they're more original, given that their 30-something series and annual new ips all had to start somewhere and are still going strong after anywhere from 25 to 2 years. The fact that we're on the 17th page of discussion about a 25-year-old Nintendo series that has just become the most original shooter since Halo should testify to that.
Wow.
I'll be honest I read like, the first paragraph.

Kayo

Quote from: Flying Chickens on March 30, 2012, 07:38:38 PM
Wow.
I'll be honest I read like, the first paragraph.
How foolish of you to miss the rare chance of Neerb making a quality post that is actually an agreeable one.
[move][/move]