News:

<+Clu> Silverhawk79 is just wrong for me

Main Menu

Open-source handhelds.

Started by Tupin, May 05, 2010, 11:27:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tupin

Anyone ever see these things? They are like a modded PSP, except the developer wants the community to develop things for it. Thus, the Dingoo A320 and GP2X Wiz not only run Linux, but also have very extensive and working emulators. The former will have a successor released later this month. Here is an ashens review of the Dingoo A320:

The A330 comes out later this month for like $100. I'm probably going to get one and install Linux on it, which runs emulators way better than the system setup it comes with. 64MB of RAM means it will be able to run most games made before 1999.

http://www.dingoo-digital-usa.com/category.sc?categoryId=8

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Lotos

I personally want to get this one.

Silverhawk79

Interesting. I possibly might get one, they sound pretty neat.

Tupin

I just ordered an A330, but I'm going to install Dingux on it. It's a community based version of Linux for the Dingoo and it is basically required. Seriously, it opens up so many options. The native Genesis, CPS2, SNES, and MVS emulators are horrid, while the community based ones are awesome. Here's some footage of Duke Nukem 3D running on an A320 and an A330.

Yes, the A330 looks like a PSP.

Silverhawk79

Quote from: Tupin on June 01, 2010, 08:34:30 PM
I just ordered an A330, but I'm going to install Dingux on it. It's a community based version of Linux for the Dingoo and it is basically required. Seriously, it opens up so many options. The native Genesis, CPS2, SNES, and MVS emulators are horrid, while the community based ones are awesome. Here's some footage of Duke Nukem 3D running on an A320 and an A330.

Yes, the A330 looks like a PSP.
Consider me sold.

Lotos

Can the Dingoo read .pdf files?

If it's open source, I assume I can get a codec for .pdfs (and other ebook file extensions) as well as .tta files?  Is there a small possibility of getting a Sega CD or Sega Saturn emulator on there?

If it can at least read .pdfs, I might just consider getting one, as I'm getting a Dreamcast and a USB Sega Saturn controller.

Tupin

You really don't want to read anything too long on a screen as small as the Dingoo's. But here is a Dingux .pdf reader, or you can read .txt files on the native OS.

http://dingoo-scene.blogspot.com/2010/04/no-need-for-them-fancy-ipad.html

Tupin

Got this today, it's super cool. Great games machine and great media player. They have some games/videos preloaded on the device, it's really high quality. I did have to switch the language to English, though.

Lotos

It looks like ThinkGeek has the older Dingoo, however, it's only $78 on the official site.  ThinkGeek also has the GP2 Wiz.  Any idea where I can get the Wiz cheaper, seeing how ThinkGeek marked up the a320?

Edit: Formatting, and a quick Google brought me to GBAtemp's shop with Dingoo a330's in stock:
http://shoptemp.com/categories/Gadgets-%26-Gifts/Dingoo-A320-%26-A330/

Tupin

Don't get a Wiz. Get an A330, get a microSD to miniSD adapter, get an 2-8 GB microSD card, and install Dingux. Literally all development for the original OS stopped last year, but Dingux can't use the built-in memory.

Lotos

Is it worth waiting for the a330 to be back in stock?  I wouldn't mind getting a a320.  Does the a330 come with headphones too?

Tupin

The A330 has double the RAM, and can run games like eduke32 better than the A320. Both do come with headphones, though.

Lotos

I just want to run Genesis, SNES, NES, etc. games on it.  If MAME is an option with the a330-  Just Googled it, apparently MAME will work on Dingux (and I assume it will use more RAM), and looking at the a330's controller, I might just wait if the wait isn't too long.

I'll have to get an SD card though.  I don't know if 2 gigs is enough for arcade ROMs.  I know the games I selected from a Genesis/Mega Drive torrent from Demonoid is 49.8 MB on my HD.

Silverhawk79

Quote from: Lotos on June 21, 2010, 05:54:33 PM
I just want to run Genesis, SNES, NES, etc. games on it.  If MAME is an option with the a330-  Just Googled it, apparently MAME will work on Dingux (and I assume it will use more RAM), and looking at the a330's controller, I might just wait if the wait isn't too long.

I'll have to get an SD card though.  I don't know if 2 gigs is enough for arcade ROMs.  I know the games I selected from a Genesis/Mega Drive torrent from Demonoid is 49.8 MB on my HD.
2 gigs should be plenty. If not, 4GB cards are like $10 or less on Amazon.

Tupin

Yeah, Dingux really opened things up, and the A330 opened things up more, the native firmware's version of MAME couldn't run any game made after 1985.

Here's the all important installer for the A330 Dingux:
http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingux-releases/%28release%29-64mb-dingux-for-a330/msg16045/?topicseen#new