News:

<+Clu> im 100% nigga

Main Menu

Sega Saturn info?

Started by Lotos, May 24, 2010, 02:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lotos

I read on /jp/ that it's a great console for STG's.  I am considering getting one when I get the money.  Now for the questions:

What games are recommended?
Can I play Japanese games on a NTSC US Saturn?
Can I play burned/pirated games on said Saturn?
Would I have to modify said Saturn to play either of the two above?

Shujinco2

Um...

Was Virtual On for the Saturn? If so, get it.

Also, Sega Jam Pack. It's got alot of good games on it.

As for the other Q's, IDFK :|

Zero

These are the only games that come to mind when I think of the Sega Saturn.

Mega Man 8
Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon 2: Zwei
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Nights
Virtual On
Guardian Heroes

As for your questions, yeah I'm pretty sure the Saturn isn't region free. A few of the games are, but for the most part they aren't. Your options include buying a modded Saturn or using the "Swap Trick" which fools your Saturn into thinking the lid is always closed and for some reason this lets you play any game. If I remember right its a pain in the ass to do it with Model 2 Saturns, so get a Model 1 if you can. I'm not the expert here, but I'm sure you could do some research on your own.

Lotos

Quote from: Zero on May 24, 2010, 03:22:45 PM
As for your questions, yeah I'm pretty sure the Saturn isn't region free. A few of the games are, but for the most part they aren't. Your options include buying a modded Saturn or using the "Swap Trick" which fools your Saturn into thinking the lid is always closed and for some reason this lets you play any game. If I remember right its a pain in the ass to do it with Model 2 Saturns, so get a Model 1 if you can. I'm not the expert here, but I'm sure you could do some research on your own.

I did some research.  I found a boot disc.  I hope that would work.  I could always buy a modchip when I get a job, but there's the chance I'll intercourse  up and waste $40+ on a console and a chip.  I heard there's also something to region patch the games, but I guess I'd still need a boot disc on a NSTC Saturn.

Tupin

I own a modded Saturn, so I feel I should speak.

1. Numerous lists have been made on the subject, but practically all of the awesome games are Japan-only or their US counterparts cost a lot. RPGs, fighters, shooters, and pretty much anything in 2D is awesome.

2. Sega Saturns are region locked. The way to get around it is either by getting an Action Replay cartridge for the back of the machine, or manually changing the regions and setting them yourself. I bought a Saturn with a two way switch installed in it, when pushed forward it plays Japanese games, when pulled back it plays American games.

3. Just adding that switch will NOT allow you to play CD-R backups. You need a modchip. Keep in mind that if you get a modchip first, it will not work with Japanese games unless you patch it. I am going to put a modchip in mine, and I won't have to bother with patching as I already have a switch.

4. See the two above.

Also, do not, I repeat, do not buy a model 1 Sega Saturn, they are an EXTREME pain to mod and are not worth the effort. They are easily identified as they have oval buttons, while the better model 2 has round buttons.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Zero

..and there you have it. Good thing we have an owner of one here.

Tupin

Another thing, make sure you get this kind of controller:

And not this one:

The first one is one of the best controllers ever, the second cannot compare.

Zero

holy crap the only one i ever had was the top one

The second one looks like a freaking wreck

Lotos

Tuppy, I love you.  Thank you for reading my PM.

Tupin

Lotos

Quote from: Tupin on July 07, 2010, 07:54:27 PM
Did you ever get one?

No.  I got a USB controller and a Dreamcast instead.  I don't think any of my computers can do recent emulations well.  Maybe I'll look into getting one in the future if I can learn to mod it (and have enough confidence in myself not to intercourse  up $50+ worth of electronics).

Tupin

Installing the modchip was easy. All you have to do is open up the system, unplug the CD drive cable, trim the edges of the cables with scissors just enough to place it into the slot on the chip, then you place the chip where the cable was plugged into. Then you get a soldering iron and connect points A and B on the chip with some solder. Then take the power cable and solder it to a connector so it can get power.

And then it's done. Took me ten minutes.