News:

Change is coming. HOPE CHANGE UNITY

Main Menu

Least favorite Mario game

Started by SkyMyl, May 29, 2010, 07:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyMyl

It seems like Starship Mario hasn't had one of these topics yet. Considering how much I love this board, I suppose I'll be the first to give it such a topic. What's your least favorite mainstream Mario game? Meaning Hotel Mario, Mario Teaches Typing, Mario is Missing, Mario's Picross, and Mario's Time Machine don't count. If any of you here have even played any of them.
MYL has played Mario is Missing and Mario's Time Machine, by the way.Two minutes total.

For me, my least favorite is Sunshine. Why? For one, FLUDD. Fucking FLUDD ruined the game. "HEY SHIGERU, WHAT DO YOU THINK OF A MARIO GAME WHERE MARIO GOES ON A TROPICAL VACATION AND GETS FRAMED FOR A CRIME HE NEVER COMMITTED, AND HAS TO USE A GLORIFIED WATER GUN TO SAVE THE DAY!?"

"No problem, desu."

The backpack gimmick worked for Luigi. It didn't work that well for platforming, considering the amount of times I got stuck in ceilings, and the amount of times I broke the levels, getting Shine Sprites in ways they certainly didn't intend for them to be gotten. That's not so much a qualm as it is nitpicking, though. Plus, they wasted a perfectly good plot for Sunshine. A shadow Mario with a magic paintbrush, vandalizing an island? And Mario's being framed for it? Sounds awesome, right? OH WAIT, I'M SORRY, IT'S JUST BOWSER AND HIS NEW SON. PLEASE DEPOSIT $50 AND WAIT SIX YEARS IF YOU WANT A BETTER STORYLINE. I know Mario games aren't really heavy on plot (Unless it's Galaxy or the RPGs), but really. What a intercourse ing copout.

Then there's the FLUDD-less levels. They're cheap. After changing things up, putting you in situations where you've grown so reliant on the FLUDD's Hover Nozzle, saving you from falling off a narrow platform, you enter the Mystery of the Blank stages. They take your FLUDD away. After pitting you against a couple of levels where the FLUDD is more the answer than your jumping, you're forced to rely on jumping, with no Hover Nozzle to save you. Granted, it's challenging, but after basically teaching you that FLUDD is the answer to all your problems, you're forced to get through levels without it, testing how well your Mario platforming skills are.
If you're whining over variety in a Mario game, then it shows that you just suck at Sunshine. Stop being a biased prick and realize that your own shortcomings are the whole reason you "hate" this game.

And of course, going to Mt. Corona. Go finish Mission 7 in EVERY STAGE TO UNLOCK THE LAST STAGE. What a load of bullpoop. Fake longevity, definitely. That effectively leaves one mission in each stage to complete, in addition to the 100 coin Shine Sprites, the Mystery of the Blank Red Coins, and the hidden levels around Isle Delfino. Doesn't help that the last stage has a boat ride straight out of hell, leading to the most disappointing final boss in a 3D Mario game. At least Galaxy had a straight out, if easy, Bowser fight. In Galaxy, BOWSER WASN'T IN A FUCKING HOT TUB. GODDAMMIT.

I'm done whining about Sunshine. Your turn to share.
Realize that he only listed his own problems with Sunshine when it came to gameplay, and that the game was too hard on him. SkyMyl is now effectively the Irate Gamer's prodigy.

Lotos

Yoshi's Island mad me off with getting all of the coins for a score, as well as having to retrieve Baby Mario after you get hit.

Cornwad

I really didn't like The Thousand Year Door.

DededeCloneChris

Sunshine was a nice comeback, though. FLUDD didn't bother me at all.

Hmm, it's hard to decide which Mario game I don't like the most... Hmm... I guess... No, I can't find one. I was going to say Hotel Mario. \:

Mystic

Anyone who doesn't like Sunshine sucks.

Umm...probably NSMB(DS) or SMB.

SkyMyl

Quote from: Cornwad on May 29, 2010, 08:14:40 PM
I really didn't like The Thousand Year Door.
...this is possible?

Cornwad

Quote from: SkyMyl on May 30, 2010, 10:31:48 AM
...this is possible?
It was boring as hell. The story was lame and it didn't even feel like a Mario game.

SkyMyl

Quote from: Cornwad on May 30, 2010, 10:43:50 AM
It was boring as hell. The story was lame and it didn't even feel like a Mario game.
>story
>lame

Thirdkoopa

Quote from: Cornwad on May 30, 2010, 10:43:50 AM
Go intercourse  yourself.

But seriously: The story being lame? The plot was actually really good - Dark, but not dark and edgy enough to the point of questioning yourself. The overall villain hierarchy was interesting. Really everything about it was overall interesting from beginning to the end and it was the deepest Mario plot to date. OMG DEEPNESS HEAVENS FORBID THAT

And not feeling like a Mario game? There's ones I feel further apart from a Mario game than that. I'm glad they took a break from using the Castle's and instead tried to broad it out. Rogueport is fantastic.
[21:11] <mackormoses> let's take a look at today's stats
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> stats today are high
[21:11] <mackormoses> holy intercourse ing poop
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> you adding all these standards
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> is really pushing us [/quote]
Quote from: JrDude φ on May 31, 2010, 08:32:13 PM
3 of my friends smoke weed. Why? Well I asked one time, and this is what they said: "Because I can blow out smoke and it makes me feel like a intercourse ing dragon"

DededeCloneChris

It didn't feel like a Mario game? Then what were the Super Mario Bros. Bowser levels for?

Cornwad

Yeah, Rougeport was what I really didn't like. The Xnauts were really boring villains compared to Bowser, and he was only in it for a few seconds. The paper powers were unnecessary and none of the partners were particularly interesting. Compared to the original Paper Mario it was pretty bad.

Never mind, it was mainly Rougeport. Especially the sewer parts. It was boring, ugly, confusing, and filled with sewers. That's what makes it really bad for me. The hub world completely ruins the game.

The Seventh

Hotel Mario soley for the horrendous gameplay.  Seen videos of it, and dear god...

The only barely redeeming part of it are the awfully hilarious and stupid cutscenes that make such hilarious and stupid youtube poops that allow me to kill time here and there.
meh

Silverhawk79

I hated Galaxy for no real reason.

BOREDFOREVER

Mario 64.  I know how important it was, and how much people liked it, it's just that I've always prefered my Mario in 2D.  I don't think it's bad, I just don't like it.

Level_9_Chao

Quote from: Suffocate For Fuck Sake on May 30, 2010, 06:06:38 PM
I hated Galaxy for no real reason.

Me too. I thought Sunshine was about as good as, if not better than Mario 64, but Galaxy was so overhyped...

Not a bad game, controls are solid and all, but I don't see what's so special. It's like they tried too hard to blow us away. Also seems pretty easy. I've gotten like 45 stars or so but just can't get into it.
Become a Failbook fan: Victory Road :3

The Game Boy Pocket.
Put it in your back pocket.
Sit down and it breaks.