News:

Our thoughts go to Silver and his family in this difficult time.

Main Menu

Metroid: Other M Official Discussion Topic

Started by SkyMyl, August 04, 2010, 11:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

You buying it?

Hell yeah, bro.
7 (77.8%)
no i heard its poop
0 (0%)
A resounding maybe.
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Rayquarian

=)

Oh wait, they're mostly positive.  X-Play led me astray.

SkyMyl

Most of them are positive, but some of the complaints have me worried. Take GamesRadar's review, for instance.

[spoiler]
Quote from: The tl;dr of the reviewYou'll hate

• Combat is not skill based and gets old fast
  • First and third-person viewpoints don't always gel
  • Gameplay and story drag for several hours

Just for you, Metacritic!

Other M divides its attention among too many viewpoints and gameplay styles to nail any one of them. Thankfully, the entire game soars so high in the closing moments that it ends up a must play for franchise followers.
[/spoiler]

Cornwad

Yeah from what I can tell it's a good game, but not nearly as good as the other metroid games. I still look forward to playing it when it comes out.

GamesRadar's review is probably my favorite. It tells you what's bad and what's good about it, and at the end I still really want to buy it, but now I know what to expect.

SkyMyl

I hear people are now going apepoop over the changes. I hear talk that enemies don't drop health, but you have regenerating health? Custom apparently called Samus losing her badass, as well.

Cornwad

Yeah, you recover health and missiles by concentrating really hard. The G4 review pretty much shows you all the things that people are complaining about, but it's a little too negative to take seriously.

DededeCloneChris

Apparently, some people bought the game already. This video below contains the beginning of the game. Beware, though, as it has some minor spoilers to some stuff.

[spoiler]It mainly involves Samus defeating Mother Brain, gets a tutorial session, and her next mission.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

SkyMyl

Considering it starts with the flashback of Super Metroid, I don't think the first spoiler box is necessary...but yeah, I'm going to refrain myself from watching any further gameplay videos in fear of spoiling the game for myself.

Quote from: Cornwad on August 28, 2010, 12:06:14 PM
Yeah, you recover health and missiles by concentrating really hard. The G4 review pretty much shows you all the things that people are complaining about, but it's a little too negative to take seriously.
The missiles I was aware of, and I think it...kind of works. It's not really that logical, when you apply some thought to the workings behind it, but I think health is pushing it a bit, semi-ironically.

Cornwad

Some people pirated the game already, they have full playthroughs on Youtube. I accidentally spoiled a few awesome bosses, but as of yet I don't know if Kraid is in it. I sure hope Kraid is in it, he was the best one.

SkyMyl

All right, I'm headed to pick my reserved copies up.

Here's hoping that the negativity is overblown.

Magnum

Dear god, Samus' voice actor is horrendous.

it's. like. listening. to. someone. with. no. emotions. trying. to. place. emphasis. on. words.

Oh Vesperia, never change... never change

SkyMyl

Got my copy a little while ago. So far, the only real complaints I have are Samus's voice actress, the "sensemove" (dodging feature) activating the instant you press a direction when an attack is heading your way, and using the d-pad to move around. That last one is more of a gripe than it is a complaint, though.

SkyMyl

All right, I've got another problem, especially when comparing this game to the Prime trilogy.

Its length.

Gwen Khan

Quote from: SkyMyl on September 01, 2010, 11:14:09 AM
All right, I've got another problem, especially when comparing this game to the Prime trilogy.

Its length.

why is it really short?

Cornwad

All non Prime metroid games are short. Two days ago I blew threw Fusion in 3 hours on my first try.
I just got it, so far my only complaint is that the box art is really boring.

DededeCloneChris