News:

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

Main Menu

I've never played a FE game before...

Started by Mystic, September 22, 2007, 09:22:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mystic

I was going to rent from GameFly, but we ended up losing our account, so I never got to play Path of Radiance. What are these games like?

NINTENDOMASTER21

Awesome.  If you're into fantasy games and turn-based RPGs, then this is your thing.

I haven't really played any other game like it, so I'll just describe it the best way I can (Though they give you step-by-step tutorials, it's still good to understand the basics):

You start off with a main character (usually a Lord) and a group of companions.  These people are blue, or allies, and you can control all of them (think 3-D chess for POR, since it has a top-down view).  Each one can only go a certain range around their current position based on their class.  Classes are divided as such: physical, magic, and laguz.  Physical classes are people that use weapons, like sword, lances, axes, or archery, whereas magic classes are either light or anima (elemental magic, like wind, fire, and thunder).  Laguz are half-human, half-animal, so they attack as a cat, bird, or dragon.

Once you have moved all your units and/or attacked an enemy, your turn has ended and the Red Team, or enemy, is up.  They move however long they want and then it goes back to you.

Despite the simplicity of it, it can be quite hard.  It takes a good strategy and a mind attuned to military elements.  You need to be able to balance skill, risk, and pure luck, because if a character dies, they won't ever return.

t2wave

You know, I've never played it either. Though I'm not usually one for RPGs. A lot of times I lose interest very early. I have a bad habit of that.

Bone Thug

You should try finding the GBA ones if you have a GBA or DS.

Soadiceman

all the FE games are quite awesome, its my favourite series and i hily recommend it if you like Strategy or RPG games

GENERAL_BANZAI

Just get sacred stones.  Path of radiance sucks.

7Deadly$ins

I consider SS to be the worst one...

It's a pretty good series of Stategy/RPGs, I would look into it. Probably start with PoR, it's the most recent and has a sequal coming out for it this November.
http://z6.invisionfree.com/BatenKaitos

The biggest Baten Kaitos forum in existence; join today~!

GENERAL_BANZAI

Quote from: 7Deadly$ins on September 25, 2007, 12:10:42 AM
I consider SS to be the worst one...

It's a pretty good series of Stategy/RPGs, I would look into it. Probably start with PoR, it's the most recent and has a sequal coming out for it this November.
You can't be serious.  How man fire emblem games have you played?  SS had creature campaign that made the game nearly infinitely replayable.

The graphics in Path of Radiance were awful.  Besides, SS would be far better, seeing as it is a bit easier than Path of Radiance, especially on easy mode.  Path of radiance gets pretty difficult, especially chapter 5.

7Deadly$ins

I'm perfectly serious. I've played all three of the FEs released in America, and I consider SS the worst of all of them.

Your graphics point is contradictory... it's not like SS's are any better. >.>
http://z6.invisionfree.com/BatenKaitos

The biggest Baten Kaitos forum in existence; join today~!

GENERAL_BANZAI

Quote from: 7Deadly$ins on September 25, 2007, 12:24:43 AM
I'm perfectly serious. I've played all three of the FEs released in America, and I consider SS the worst of all of them.

Your graphics point is contradictory... it's not like SS's are any better. >.>
At least the characters in SS have hands...

You mind explaining to me how PoR is superior?

Sety

Banzai, shut the f*** up.

Seriously, you are bashing people over an OPINION.  Lern2internet.

GENERAL_BANZAI

Quote from: Sety on September 26, 2007, 06:59:52 PM
Banzai, shut the f*** up.

Seriously, you are bashing people over an OPINION.  Lern2internet.
Hmm, I was wondering when the haters would begin posting.

So, now that you're in a place not Nsider, you finally have the confidence to inslult me from all that pent-up anger that you've been saving?  Real mature.  You got a problem, PM me, and we'll take it from there.  :|

Transient Link

Quote from: GENERAL_BANZAI on September 25, 2007, 12:07:55 AM
Just get sacred stones.  Path of radiance sucks.
SS sucks man go with origonal fe for gba it will be hard to find but it is more than worth it.

Elite Lord Sigma

Get any of them. They're all worth playing if you have the time and patience to.

Transient Link

Quote from: Elite Lord Sigma on September 27, 2007, 01:18:11 PM
Get any of them. They're all worth playing if you have the time and patience to.
patience lol so true :D