News:

<+Clu> have you tried barbecuing the computer

Main Menu

A few comments about the stage builder update...

Started by bluaki, October 29, 2007, 02:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluaki

Depending on the level of detail, I'll use either of the two image sizes for each. I'll just comment on each picture and the text shown directly below it on Dojo!.

Dedede sure looks weird in that picture. Does he have the balloon floating ability like Jigglypuff and Kirby? Also, what existing stage, if any, is the background and palettes based off of?

The size only has three increments -_-
Only three backgrounds are shown, it better be able to scroll. From other screenshots in this update, I only see the Battlefield and the ones shown in screenshots #1 and #6 used as examples.
Also, I really hope that the spacey-themed (whatever you call it) backgrounds from Melee's Final Destination and Battlefield return.

Yay, the interface. It looks generally nice and simple.That cursor is a bit... unique and long. The features seem to include moving platforms and ladders, two interesting new concepts to smash stages. Another block in that section seems to be slippery ice. Just what are the other "features" blocks? The stuff under "Structures" seems like mostly decoration, and the set shown is a bit strange. What does the Z button next to the word "All" mean, palettes? Also, we have a "remaining parts" meter, I hope that we either get a really great amount for all stage sizes or a good amount increasing with the stage size. Also, how would this be controlled using Wiimote?

You can press "Z" for "Consecutive"? I suppose that means to place one and continue building duplicates of the same block, I'll use that button a ton -_-
The "remaining parts" meter is shown being used. With pixel size, it seems to be about 16% now. 10 blocks and 3 ladders are currently placed (combined 13 segments). If both are worth as much on the meter, then you can fit about 80 blocks (yay, math).

Okay, ladder climbing. I believe this is a new thing to Smash Bros. I assume it's going to take a platforming approach and use "up" direction to climb. The UI here is pretty... plain, but I guess that you don't really need any commands here.

Okay, we get to see another palette here (and another background). Apparently, the plain block texture changes, the structure set is completely different, and there are the same exact feature segments.
Something that I don't like with the palettes, we apparently can't have different textured blocks in the same level. While this doesn't affect gameplay much, it's nice to have a little distinction :-\
Why is the "remaining parts" meter empty? It should be at about 60% full.

Okay, we know that whoever takes these screenshots wasn't too original, just look at the comment. So... how do we enter the name and comment? Do we use a Wii On-Screen Keyboard or that Numpad OSK that we saw for player name entry? Is USB supported?
Apparently, there isn't a "Save and continue" function. Although this goes against very basic principals of software, just hope that nothing particularly bad happens to your unsaved changes while editing.
The music "Mother: Snowman" might be an interesting point since it's available. I personally don't play the Mother/Earthbound games, but if anybody knows what it would be...

Ok, the submit system. They say that Nintendo will make daily selections of best stages, my question is how long you'll keep them. Are they temporarily selectable only on the day you get it? If so, can you save it to your Wii to keep it longer? Can you edit a stage that you get from others?
How many stages can be saved? With the SD card feature show, it looks like it's similar to screen shots. What file size should we expect each stage to be? What file extension will we see if we transfer the SD card to a computer? Will it be possible to edit stages on the computer? Will I be able to back up all my stages onto my many gigabyte hard disk? Will it be possible to download them from a computer from and onto the SD card? I could see Wii gamesaves sites becoming popular with this.

Sonic on a treadmill-like thing? Why am I not surprised? :-\
With my assumptions, the spikes inflict damage (duh), the light blue blocks right of it is slippery ice, treadmills push you one direction, blocks with a down-pointed arrow (like the ones right of Peach) probably fall after being stepped on.
On a completely unrelated note, I hope that Peach's dress doesn't... raise up a bit much while she's falling. I know that lots of immature players of Melee changed camera angles to look up Peach's dress, I can only hope such things aren't done with Brawl :-X

Overall--don't get me wrong, I absolutely love this update. While I hope/wish that certain aspects of the editor are better, it's fully functionable and worth endless hours of level making. Creation is my favorite aspect of ANY game, so now I want Brawl SO much more.
Something else I'd like to note, it seems from the screenshot that the palettes are directly linked with the background.
Lastly, this reminds me a bit too much of Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis...

Cornwad

My favorite part about the update is that a heavyweight character appears to be able to puff jump ;D

Red

Quote from: Cornwad on October 29, 2007, 03:25:22 AM
My favorite part about the update is that a heavyweight character appears to be able to puff jump ;D
My favorite too.