News:

UH SOMETHING BROKE HANG ON

Main Menu

Sega's Going Broke

Started by DededeCloneChris, March 30, 2012, 02:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DededeCloneChris

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/03/30/sega-incur-losses-cancel-games-and-restructure-company/

The company has lost a lot of money ($7.1 billion yen) in the fiscal year that it has decided to cancel some unspecified games and create a smaller company with the U.S. and Europe bases.

Zero

Not surprised.

They've been surviving off of Sonic for a while now.

DededeCloneChris

And even then...

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/03/30/kid-icarus-uprising-soars-while-black-panther-2-yakuza-takes-a-beating/

The fact that both games were pretty close on sales in Japan isn't what matters, but it's the fact Sega got a lot of shipped copies unsold.

Hero_of_Darkness

Don't you think you're jumping the gun? It's bad, yes, but they're far from dead and they're far from dead. THQ, for example, is in FAR worse shape.

Also, Nintendo's loss for this financial year is going to give you a heart attack, while Sony's is gonna... Man, I don't even want to think about it.

Tupin

I doubt they would ever completely go away, they are too much of an institution, even if someone else could probably handle Sonic better.

It's probably good for them that they are cancelling these anyway. At least they realize pushing out a multimillion dollar project at the same time as everyone else is a horrible business decision.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Hero_of_Darkness

*imagines Nintendo getting Sonic*

I WANT THIS

Flying Chickens

I was under the impression this happened a long time ago; guess I had my facts wrong. Guess they should make more Super Monkey Ball games.

zephilicious

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on March 30, 2012, 02:38:13 PM
Don't you think you're jumping the gun? It's bad, yes, but they're far from dead and they're far from dead. THQ, for example, is in FAR worse shape.

Also, Nintendo's loss for this financial year is going to give you a heart attack, while Sony's is gonna... Man, I don't even want to think about it.
but nobody cares about THQ
~~ <3

Zero

i can't remember a single THQ game

Hero_of_Darkness

Tupin

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on March 30, 2012, 03:59:15 PM
Saint's Row says hi. ;-;
Volition would find another publisher if THQ went under.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

DededeCloneChris

Isn't it important that they cancelled some unspecified games?

Uh, I guess nobody knows exactly what games Sega was developing...

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: NoiseHunterChris on March 30, 2012, 05:34:29 PM
Isn't it important that they cancelled some unspecified games?

Uh, I guess nobody knows exactly what games Sega was developing...
And BINGO was his name... o.

DededeCloneChris