News:

<+Clu> have you tried barbecuing the computer

Main Menu

Proud Mary (Which Version Do You Prefer?)

Started by Java, May 12, 2008, 08:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Java

Which of the 2 versions of Proud Mary do you prefer?

The original by Creedence Clearwater Revival:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7052IDTFuFQ&feature=related

OR

The cover by Ike & Tina Turner:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54XRNQ2C2x0

OR any other cover that you may like more.

OR maybe you just don't like the song at all. D:

Personally, as much as I enjoy CCR's original version, I've always LOVED Tina Turner's version more.
Her version, in my opinion, had that powerful spark to it that I never got as much from CCR.

Kaz

CCR.

I love John Fogerty's voice, so there you go.
Quote<+Mithos> My mom grounded me for being gay.

Zovistograt

I absolutely hate John Fogarty's voice.  It's boring.

I like the exciting Tina Turner version.
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Java

Is it just me or whenever he says "burning" or "turning", it sounds like "boining" and "toining"

Where is he from?

Zovistograt

Quote from: Java_Java on May 14, 2008, 04:50:14 PM
Is it just me or whenever he says "burning" or "turning", it sounds like "boining" and "toining"

Where is he from?
It's some kind of Southern accent.  I don't know.  I think it's called a "Southern twang".
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Kaz

Where is he from?

I'm pretty sure he does it on purpose, because it's easily the most noticeable in that song. It's not so much a real accent.

Yeah, he has an accent, but not that bad.
Quote<+Mithos> My mom grounded me for being gay.

Java

Quote from: Kaz on May 16, 2008, 08:31:16 PM

Where is he from?

I'm pretty sure he does it on purpose, because it's easily the most noticeable in that song. It's not so much a real accent.

Yeah, he has an accent, but not that bad.
Meh...It kinda irks me a bit.

major tom

Quote from: Zovistograt on May 14, 2008, 03:55:58 PM
I absolutely hate John Fogarty's voice.  It's boring.
You'll change your mind when you listen to every Creedence song. He's had much better vocal performances, ie, Fortunate Son, I Put a Spell on You.

Where is he from?
Louisiana, as the song says, "Born on the Bayou". Fogerty does that on purpose, though. He likes singing certain ways because it's fun to sing those ways. In an interview related to Tina's version:
Quote from: John FogertySometimes I write words to songs because they sound cool to sing. Sometimes the listener doesn't understand what I'm singing because I'm dedicated to singing the vowel, having fun with the word sounds coming out of my mouth. 'Cleaned a lot of plates in Memphis, pumped a lot of pain down in New Orleans,' is a good example. I think Tina Turner sang '`tane' instead of 'pain,' as in a contracted form of 'octane'. But I knew what she meant.

And CCR's version is the best, period.