<+Clu> was cute sure but it doesnt even mention homosexuality

Main Menu

New starters for B/W

Started by Cornwad, May 08, 2010, 06:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turok

Quote from: Sherlock on May 12, 2010, 09:39:02 PM
Worst. Starters. Ever.
Yeah, but what if the final evos are badass?

[spoiler]
QuoteSo is it Capcom JPN or US screwing the PC release over? Both?
QuoteNUKE THEM FROM ORBIT, IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO BE SURE

PC GAMERS

If you don't give us what we want, we'll nuke you from orbit.
[/spoiler]

Macawmoses

No, Jr, I wouldn't. Let's take a look at the water evo. It looks like piplup decided to become an otter or some poop and get a little fluff (and lose the beak). Perhaps it had a night of rough sex with Mime. Jr.

Then we have the pig bunny thing. Note the color similarities to Cyndaquil, extended snout, etc. They just snagged spoink's tail, through on some longer ears, docked the nose, and away they went.

And let's not forget the grass. I don't even know where to go with it...it's just pathetic looking. Honestly, it looks like they were going for a Treecko/Cyndaquil hybrid with a fan tail. What exactly is it?

Thirdkoopa

As much as I REALLY hate agreeing with the people in the "You're complaining too much" alley with gaming discussions I'm stuck agreeing in this case. Granted I'm not saying you have to instantly love them either but some of you guys are a bit too quick on judging them. I wasn't quite quick and oddly enough I notice myself more satisfied.

First off remember the goal of starters. The goal of starters is to have one straight off the bat you like more than the others. Outside of arguably 4th gen, every gen so far has done this. This thread is complete proof of this that they succeeded at their job. Also do remember the art designs are similar and they've gone up to more than 500 now so it's very easy to come across Pokemon that do look similar to previous ones.

Now let's evaluate each of them:

The Water starter is actually fine. At first as you can see by my posts I was a bit undecided on it but let's look at it. It's just that: 1) It's pose sucks (It's completely unemotional) I mean seriously...Just look at the pose. 2) It looks like a snow cone. Seriously. What am I suppose to say to that? 3)The colors are distorted Or as another one of my friends called it "Clownotter". Just give it some time. It's not like it's the clown otter's fault for having the company say "Hey guys! Maybe if we make it look like a zombie in it's pose it'll look much better!".

The Fire one looks a bit rehashed from a few others compared to the other two. I can see where the complaints are coming from with that. But other then that it seems fine. One that has a bit more emotion and is more happy and is a pig. Not that bad at all. Also they actually got the pose right here.

As for the Grass one, eh, it grows on contrary to not being as cool as my avatar - It's just that once again, it's a bit color distorted. And on top of that, much like bulbasaur at first, you have no idea what it is. It's just kinda there. It's still an interesting idea and for sure contributes to the variety of starters.

And really, when you look at some of the fan designs (Ok, outside of...You know which one) like the other potential sea otter designs, you begin to realize that these can't quite be the worst designs. They're just a bit color distorted, badly posed, and at this point, looking a bit like copies at times if you stare into it too hard.

but hey god forbid something you have to actually look at more than a minute and get the feel of it am i right
[21:11] <mackormoses> let's take a look at today's stats
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> stats today are high
[21:11] <mackormoses> holy intercourse ing poop
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> you adding all these standards
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> is really pushing us [/quote]
Quote from: JrDude φ on May 31, 2010, 08:32:13 PM
3 of my friends smoke weed. Why? Well I asked one time, and this is what they said: "Because I can blow out smoke and it makes me feel like a intercourse ing dragon"

Zero

Considering the fact that if these were the first gen starters and we were just shown Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle for the first time, people wouldn't like them, I have to agree with TK.

Sure, the starters aren't as cool as the 1st/2nd gen starters but holy poop are they better than last gens starters.

Kayo

Isn't that what everyone thought about every starter? Just give it some time, and some more new pictures. I agree with TK there, and I really, REALLY wanna see the final evo for the grass starter. I'm leaning towards him for my pick when i get B/W, but it depends on his final evo. I'm hoping for cool typing.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Neerb

Sorry, but I just found this on another forum and I had to post it, as it's exactly what I thought when I first saw these starters:

Missingno6

Quote from: SmashBro25 on May 13, 2010, 01:30:02 PM
Sorry, but I just found this on another forum and I had to post it, as it's exactly what I thought when I first saw these starters:

I knew that face was familiar!
Pokemon Platinum FC: 3610 3031 1498

The Riddler

Quote from: Thirdkoopa on May 13, 2010, 02:00:25 AM
As much as I REALLY hate agreeing with the people in the "You're complaining too much" alley with gaming discussions I'm stuck agreeing in this case. Granted I'm not saying you have to instantly love them either but some of you guys are a bit too quick on judging them. I wasn't quite quick and oddly enough I notice myself more satisfied.

First off remember the goal of starters. The goal of starters is to have one straight off the bat you like more than the others. Outside of arguably 4th gen, every gen so far has done this. This thread is complete proof of this that they succeeded at their job. Also do remember the art designs are similar and they've gone up to more than 500 now so it's very easy to come across Pokemon that do look similar to previous ones.

Now let's evaluate each of them:

The Water starter is actually fine. At first as you can see by my posts I was a bit undecided on it but let's look at it. It's just that: 1) It's pose sucks (It's completely unemotional) I mean seriously...Just look at the pose. 2) It looks like a snow cone. Seriously. What am I suppose to say to that? 3)The colors are distorted Or as another one of my friends called it "Clownotter". Just give it some time. It's not like it's the clown otter's fault for having the company say "Hey guys! Maybe if we make it look like a zombie in it's pose it'll look much better!".

The Fire one looks a bit rehashed from a few others compared to the other two. I can see where the complaints are coming from with that. But other then that it seems fine. One that has a bit more emotion and is more happy and is a pig. Not that bad at all. Also they actually got the pose right here.

As for the Grass one, eh, it grows on contrary to not being as cool as my avatar - It's just that once again, it's a bit color distorted. And on top of that, much like bulbasaur at first, you have no idea what it is. It's just kinda there. It's still an interesting idea and for sure contributes to the variety of starters.

And really, when you look at some of the fan designs (Ok, outside of...You know which one) like the other potential sea otter designs, you begin to realize that these can't quite be the worst designs. They're just a bit color distorted, badly posed, and at this point, looking a bit like copies at times if you stare into it too hard.

but hey god forbid something you have to actually look at more than a minute and get the feel of it am i right
Oh god I like your new avatar. Smugleaf is smug.

The Riddler

Also to those saying we're picky...

I've posted a thread about how I feel about starters. I do agree that this gen's starters are atrocious.

I love Gen 1. I love Gen 2. I only like Mudkip of Gen 3. I only dislike Piplup of Gen 4.

The starters generally follow a trend, and none of these new ones seem to do that.

Fire starters have flame spewing from their body in every member of their evolution line, with the exception of Torchic who only has flame when it becomes Blaziken, so I dislike Torchic.

Grass starters are always dinosaur/turtle/reptilian quadrupeds. Treeko is the only one to not follow the quadrupedal trend and is more amphibian than reptilian.

Water starters are always swamp/marshland creatures. Turtles, Crocodiles, and Mudfish? Fine. Penguins? No, Piplup fails.

None of these new starters seem to follow the trends at all and this is why I dislike them. They feel more like digimon.

I may have liked them more if they weren't the starters. A firey boar or hog could be fun. Smugleaf sure is smug. Otters are intercourse ing adorable.

Thirdkoopa

Quote from: Jeff Probst on May 13, 2010, 02:14:51 PM
Oh god I like your new avatar. Smugleaf is smug.
As I said, it's the pose.

For people that still feel the same way after seeing my post try viewing this (The one where I got my current avatar from and edited it around) or this. It'll help lighten your thoughts.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2mdl1rq.png < My original one was that. But I think I'm growing to like the official design (The one in my avatar) more.

Quote from: Jeff Probst on May 13, 2010, 02:20:07 PM
Stuff

...And since when did they have to follow a trend you put up on your own? It's not like they've gone completely out of their way to make em different yet.
3 of my friends smoke weed. Why? Well I asked one time, and this is what they said: "Because I can blow out smoke and it makes me feel like a intercourse ing dragon"

The Riddler

Quote from: Thirdkoopa on May 13, 2010, 02:23:57 PM
As I said, it's the pose.

For people that still feel the same way after seeing my post try viewing this (The one where I got my current avatar from and edited it around) or this. It'll help lighten your thoughts.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2mdl1rq.png < My original one was that. But I think I'm growing to like the official design (The one in my avatar) more.

...And since when did they have to follow a trend you put up on your own? It's not like they've gone completely out of their way to make em different yet.
It's a trend they set with three exceptions. I dislike change.

Thirdkoopa

lolquotes

Three expectations? It's a trend they broke before back in Gen 3, so, the change, yeah, try to get use to it or you'll be seeing a lot more disappointments. Chances are they've probably never even thought of one of them like that. The chances of thinking all 3? Yeah. To add on if we're just arguing fan-based stuff the Otter fits in more than Piplup does to water types. The hog? Eh it's fine enough and simple enough as is. The Firefly? Alright, I'll give that one correct, but even then Treecko fit well in and this one doesn't fit atrociously bad. Granted it doesn't fit better than the Otter to Water nor the Fire Pig but it has something that clicks.

Magnum

I think that the grass type looks eerily like Treeco, but I think that is the only decent of the group.

The water one looks like Piplup got its beak beat in with a baseball bat, and a pig fire type that looks stupid is just stupid. I'm not saying I hate it because it's the new generation. I haven't disliked a generation of Pokemon yet, so I feel like I have the right to call Pokemon retarded.

Seriously, there is no reason to jump the gun and say that I would hate the game no mater what Jr. I am still really excited for it, and I want to see what kind of Pokemon they make.
BTW, Chikorita is still the best starter. Just saying...

Oh Vesperia, never change... never change

Cornwad

You can't please everyone. If they had made the grass starter another reptilian quadruped, the pig with flames coming out everywhere, and the water a swamp creature, people would just say that the new starters are rip offs of the old ones and that they are running out of ideas. If they do something new, it's bad because it breaks tradition. Huh.

Turok

Quote from: Cornwad on May 13, 2010, 03:25:58 PM
You can't please everyone. If they had made the grass starter another reptilian quadruped, the pig with flames coming out everywhere, and the water a swamp creature, people would just say that the new starters are rip offs of the old ones and that they are running out of ideas. If they do something new, it's bad because it breaks tradition. Huh.
Damned if you do, darned if you don't

[spoiler]
QuoteSo is it Capcom JPN or US screwing the PC release over? Both?
QuoteNUKE THEM FROM ORBIT, IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO BE SURE

PC GAMERS

If you don't give us what we want, we'll nuke you from orbit.
[/spoiler]