News:

<+Clu> im 100% nigga

Main Menu

Beware of cover versions of songs...

Started by metroidhunter777, January 18, 2008, 07:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

major tom

Quote from: Kazooie-Banjo on January 19, 2008, 01:33:34 PMBlue Oyster Cult also did a pretty cool cover of that song. Very different arrangement from the original. Almost seems like a different song.
There's an art to covering a song. When Cream takes Robert Johnson's Crossroad Blues, speeds it up, and adds in awesome drumming and bass with guitar solos, that's art. When Led Zeppelin takes In My Time Of Dying, a blues song by Blind Willie, and makes it an epic eleven minute masterpiece, that's art.

Kaz

Quote from: Co-Z on January 19, 2008, 04:23:04 PM
Quote from: Kazooie-Banjo on January 19, 2008, 01:33:34 PMBlue Oyster Cult also did a pretty cool cover of that song. Very different arrangement from the original. Almost seems like a different song.
There's an art to covering a song. When Cream takes Robert Johnson's Crossroad Blues, speeds it up, and adds in awesome drumming and bass with guitar solos, that's art. When Led Zeppelin takes In My Time Of Dying, a blues song by Blind Willie, and makes it an epic eleven minute masterpiece, that's art.

Yes, Led Zeppelin was particularly amazing at making new arrangements for old songs, especially traditional songs like "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" and "Gallows Pole."
Quote<+Mithos> My mom grounded me for being gay.

Java

I'm not sure if this counts, but the music in Boogie was atrocious.
While most people think Cyndi Lauper's voice is at least tolerable in Girl's Just Wanna Have Fun. Whoever covered it, was terrible. There were many more songs that they completely ruined with one game.

AC92

Whoever covered Last Child by Aerosmith in GHII completely murdered it. :(

major tom

Quote from: AC92 on January 24, 2008, 04:15:18 PM
QFT.

Mr. ESTOAG

Quote from: AC92 on January 24, 2008, 04:15:18 PM

Same goes with Barracuda, my god that was an awful cover.

major tom

I didn't have a problem with the Barracuda cover.

The covers pretty much sucked ass or were 'okay' at best in the first two GH games. In GH3, the covers were generally 'okay' or good. The Holiday in Cambodia cover was pretty good, and so was Slow Ride. What I hated about Slow Ride was that they covered the single version- only four minutes long. I wish we coulda had the full 8 minute version.

OneManFreakShow

Quote from: Zovistograt on January 19, 2008, 08:38:22 AM
mmm, well, some covers are better than the originals.  Like the cover of Jumpin' Jack Flash from EBA.  Yeah I went there.

Glad I'm not the only one who frankly can't stand the slowness of the original song.

major tom

Quote from: OneManFreakShow on January 24, 2008, 09:33:53 PM
Glad I'm not the only one who frankly can't stand the slowness of the original song.
Holy poop.

You call that SLOW?

I just listened to it on YouTube. It wasn't horrible, but it was boring. The singer, especially. He sucked at it. And I also have no idea how the EBA version is faster, it's the same really.

Fell

Quote from: Co-Z on January 24, 2008, 09:26:12 PM
I didn't have a problem with the Barracuda cover.

The covers pretty much sucked ass or were 'okay' at best in the first two GH games. In GH3, the covers were generally 'okay' or good. The Holiday in Cambodia cover was pretty good, and so was Slow Ride. What I hated about Slow Ride was that they covered the single version- only four minutes long. I wish we coulda had the full 8 minute version.

Barracuda and hit me with your best shot were some of the best covers IMHO.

HiC was a great cover too. Though the worst cover in that game has to be, RaRaN.

Spongebob does not approve

Beatnik

I'm not a huge Children of Bodom fan, but they have a great cover of Oops, I Did It Again by Britney Spears. Alice Cooper's cover of Hey Bulldog is great too.
"I like cigarettes, Mrs. Taggart. I like to think of fire held in a man's hand. Fire, a dangerous force, tamed at his fingertips. I often wonder about the hours when a man sits alone, watching the smoke of a cigarette, thinking. I wonder what great things have come from such hours. When a man thinks, there is a spot of fire alive in his mind-and it is proper that he should have the burning point of a cigarette as his one expression..."

HoganM

Speaking of covers, i'm listening to a cover of "Heaven Tonight" by yngwie malmsteen.

Think Eric Clapton's version meets Glam Rock and Eddie Van Halen guitar parts.

Some of the covers in GHIII were good, but i couldn't stand Pride and Joy's cover. I died a little when i heard it, he sounded 50 years old.

Java

I'm sorry if this is a really stupid question, but why can't they just get the real songs for games like Guitar Hero and Boogie?

Kaz

Quote from: Java_Java on January 26, 2008, 05:58:53 PM
I'm sorry if this is a really stupid question, but why can't they just get the real songs for games like Guitar Hero and Boogie?

Not every musician is so eager to just hand over rights to their songs like that, you know. And GHIII actually had quite a few master tracks.

Too bad the cover of Cities on Flame in it is horrible.
Quote<+Mithos> My mom grounded me for being gay.

DSWiiMaster42

I thought the Sweet Child O' Mine cover was pretty good. But the original is better. The cover for Killing in the Name was OK because they edited the part at the end that goes "F*** you I won't do what ya tell me!", and changed it to "Now you're under control I won't do what ya tell me!"

I think a really bad cover in the GH games is the Cowboys from Hell cover in GH1. They totally ruined that song.

Thanks to mackormoses for this badass sig!

SSBB friend code:1719-2939-0479
Characters I use: Ike (mostly), Sonic, or Captain Falcon
If you want to battle, please PM me.

Xbox Live gamercard: SegaSonic127

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/Slashrulez724 (my old account got deleted)