News:

<+Clu> im 100% nigga

Main Menu

My Guide To Reviewing (A Compendium, or Course) WIP

Started by Macawmoses, June 27, 2008, 12:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macawmoses

Hello All,

In this thread, which will be constantly updated, and for now locked, I opt to outline strategies and tips to reviewing. One thing though, until this thread is completed, if you see it unlocked, please do not post.

As we are, I am sure many of you are wondering...why is Mack qualified to write this? I'll tell you a bit about myself.

I got my start writing reviews at NSider. Two of my reviews, Super Monkey Ball, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance, were both entered into the NSider's Choice Review Contest. I ended up building friendships, and great reviewers such as CCM, Mariofan102, and Gamemaster149 not only helped develop my writing, they became my friends.

As many know, NSider closed. I became the host of several post NSider review contests, and even the odd fic contest. My legacy lives on at NS2, and here, but neither are all that active. I became a writer for the NSider2 Magazine, was then promoted to head of the DS Section, and from there, Co-Head of the site, before its' collapse. Today, I work with an affiliate of NSF's, 8th Circuit, as a general writer. Furthermore, at NS2, I have been awarded both the NCR and RotW, and had my Mario Kart Wii Review put on NS2's front page. Most recently, I was one of two judges for Hadaway's Review Contest, and was assigned the grueling task of critiquing each.

I have been a major reviewer in communities as such for some time, and I opt to help any that want to become a reviewer. In this guide, which will span three posts, perhaps four, I hope to turn an amateur writer into something their mother could be proud of.

Now, a description of each section.

Transitional Words: Words that help make your review flow, artsy.

The Rules: Everything has rules, the basic premise of reviewing does, as well.

I R IN ANGLISH: Some "guidelines" for those that struggle with the English Language

Consumerism: How to market your review, so even idiots will read it.

=>Format:A mix of consumerism and The Questions, I'll show you.

The Questions:Every reviewer has a unique style, but they need to ask themselves this..

Example?:What good would this do without a quality example?

Hopefully that index will help you realize what you're in for.

Macawmoses

The Rules to Reviewing: *Update 1 of 6*

Reviewing is an art, and there are some key rules everyone should follow.

The first? The glass rule.

This rule states that you should fill the glass 2/3'rds full of opinion. The other third will come as you discuss your opinion. Get too far away from this 2:1 balance, and you run into issues. This rule is widely considered a fundamental, a key point. Once again, reviews are about OPINION.

That is a very basic rule, yet oddly, even seasoned reviewers have difficulty with it. The next is another one of those rules.

The "Only One" rule. This rule dictates that when you write a review, you need to act like you are the ONLY PERSON to have ever played the game (besides the developer :B). That way, you realize that even though a third of the review is fact, you need to capitalize upon it. Also, you need to snag the reader's attention, because you either want them to play this title, or to cower in fear. Remember, you were the ONLY ONE.

Among those, there are many other rules that reviewers debate the importance of. I'll quickly outline them, but most should be common sense, or, they fall under Consumerism.

English: Reviews need to be balanced out, use images in even spacing, and paragraphs need not be too long, or too short. Use Spell Check. We'll touch upon this later.

Spoilers: Don't do drugs, because drugs are bad, mk. Same goes with spoilers, don't dare reveal major plot elements, hidden characters, or anything of the sort, as for the most part, that isn't what people reading reviews want.

Jargon: Don't bring things like "rupees" into a review without first introducing it. No, contrary to popular belief, not everyone has played a Legend of Zelda title. Same goes with industry terms, such as Cel Shading. You need to elaborate, at the very least, but don't be afraid to use them, either.

The Constant: Spell check borked? No dictionary? Don't know how to spell that ONE word? Keep spelling it the same throughout the entire review, regardless if it is right or wrong. Same goes with any aspect, just keep it the same, don't go putting "broke" into borked, broke, brok, etc. We need to see context, we need to see constants.

That is it for this update kids, keep reading, and try these rules out!