News:

<+Clu> have you tried barbecuing the computer

Main Menu

Subbed vs Dubbed

Started by Mario583, August 16, 2008, 11:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario583

I really never understood why some people prefer the Subbed versions over the Dubbed ones >_>

Kaso

Some (many) anime have poor English voice acting.

See Naruto. Believe it.

;-;

Kaz

Simply put, some English voice acting is really bad. Reading subtitles is easier on me than hearing bad acting.
Quote<+Mithos> My mom grounded me for being gay.

Light

Most of the time, it depends on the anime. For instance, I like the English dub of Death Note, but I despise Naruto's dub. Most of the time it depends on who dubs it. FUNimation (Dragonball Z, Full Metal Alchemist) - you're in luck. Viz Media (Death Note, Naruto) - up in the air. 4kids (One Piece, Tokyo Mew Mew) - stay away as much as possible.
Holy crap all my sigs were always poop. Best leave this space alone.

Lohn Jocke

Because Konata doesn't sound as smart-ass in the english dubbed.

Zovistograt

Dubs suck.  They always did and always will.  I can't stand anime that's dubbed...it's basically ruining the anime's original purpose.  The original seiyus are what make most anime that anime.  Replace that, and you get a Westernized piece of its former self.  Plus, I love the Japanese language and it pains me to see that people are so freaking lazy they can't freaking read and enjoy a FAR SUPERIOR LANGUAGE TO ENGLISH ONCE IN A WHILE >:(  I wouldn't even watch a good dub, because I'd know that some things will be lost in translation.  Plus, subs (especially fansubs) explain jokes that are lost in translation so you can still get them.  Subs retain the original identity of the anime.  Dubs tear out the anime's heart and replace it with a cold block of yellow ice.

...yeah.
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Riosan

zovi's a bit too into this whole anime thing

Subbed if the story's somewhat easy to understand, dubbed if it's not.
[21:51]   <Smashin>   No one likes a sad fat kid.
[21:51]   Mystic has left #nsider (Leaving.)

Zovistograt

Quote from: Riosan on August 17, 2008, 12:26:33 PM
zovi's a bit too into this whole anime thing

Subbed if the story's somewhat easy to understand, dubbed if it's not.
hmm...wouldn't that make more sense of you replaced "subbed" with "raw" and "dubbed" with "subbed"? :)
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Riosan

Quote from: Zovistograt on August 17, 2008, 12:31:13 PM
hmm...wouldn't that make more sense of you replaced "subbed" with "raw" and "dubbed" with "subbed"? :)

what

I'd rather attempt to understand a confusing story by hearing it in English rather than reading translations from Japanese.
[21:51]   <Smashin>   No one likes a sad fat kid.
[21:51]   Mystic has left #nsider (Leaving.)

Zovistograt

Quote from: Riosan on August 17, 2008, 03:37:45 PM
Quote from: Zovistograt on August 17, 2008, 12:31:13 PM

what

I'd rather attempt to understand a confusing story by hearing it in English rather than reading translations from Japanese.
good fansubs give comprehensive sidenotes that explain more than an English dub would provide.

Mystic

In general, dubbed is better. Subbed means you can't multitask without having to go back to read what you missed.

JrDude

Dubbed is a lot better imo, I like to hear+understand what they say, not read it. Especially if talking is in the battle scene.
*long japanese sentence in battle scene*
*me reads sentence*
*me misses the cool part D:*
[move][/move]
Dude .

Zovistograt

Quote from: Mystic on August 17, 2008, 07:30:49 PM
In general, dubbed is better. Subbed means you can't multitask without having to go back to read what you missed.
It's better than listening to sucky dub voices and watching a shallow version of the original.  Anyway, to truly appreciate anime, you don't multitask while watching it >:U

Quote from: JrDude on August 17, 2008, 07:51:22 PM
Dubbed is a lot better imo, I like to hear+understand what they say, not read it. Especially if talking is in the battle scene.
*long japanese sentence in battle scene*
*me reads sentence*
*me misses the cool part D:*
That has never happened to me.  Seriously, you can read subs and take in the action at the same time.  It's not hard.  At all.  Really.  >_>

Lohn Jocke

Quote from: Mystic on August 17, 2008, 07:30:49 PM
If you are multitasking, then why are you watching? Just do the work you have to do.

Jono2

subbed > dubbed 100% of the time.

doesn't matter if it's anime or foreign film.

Quote from: LinkXLR on January 30, 2008, 09:10:54 PM
Quote from: famy on January 30, 2008, 08:36:30 PM
is big willy unleashed a will smith game

...I'm not even gonna touch this one.

SteamID: Lazylen