News:

<+Clu> have you tried barbecuing the computer

Main Menu

Is anyone writing a full-fledged and completely original novel/story/book etc.?

Started by RX-78-2, May 20, 2009, 07:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RX-78-2

Hopefully this sort of topic is allowed here. I think it is.

Anyway, upon seeing the many fanfics here at NSFCD, I want to know if anyone here is writing anything original and/or planning to publish it. Maybe it's a novel, or a collection of poems? How about something non-fiction? Just curious.

I am writing an original story about a boy whose father is the Devil. Luckily my friends who have read what it is so far seem to enjoy it. They have described it as Satanic (in subject matter only, not glorifying Satan or anything like that), a mystery, a bit of a comedy, and a romance. I think it also has a touch of horror, though my friends have not read these parts yet.

Sorry if you're interested, but I don't feel comfortable revealing it on the Web. Especially not at this stage. It started as a Halloween short story for my freshmen year writing class and I decided to add to it until it became what it is now. I write very sporadically, so I have no idea of when it will be done. So far, I've been working on it for about a year and half.
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

Nayrman

Click my "Naria of the Flame" sig.
Although it's not a novel, I'll still mention it. (I want to go into movies and make good 'ol 2D animation viable again and similar to anime in that it can by for anyone and everyone and not just a stupid kids medium for fart jokes and Pixar to rehash the same old stories over and over again).

I have three other ideas as well, one I hope to begin soon. Naria will be updated once my summer class is over in the middle of June. The other two I don't plan on writing anytime soon, especially since one is basically just american Gurren Lagann...

Red

I have been. Through many days of thinking, I (believe) I remember what my story basically said, before my fatal OpenOffice crash. ;_;

Now, it's just a matter of writing it again.

RX-78-2

Quote from: Red on May 20, 2009, 07:24:36 PM
I have been. Through many days of thinking, I (believe) I remember what my story basically said, before my fatal OpenOffice crash. ;_;

Now, it's just a matter of writing it again.

Ah, of course I know about YOUR stories, "Red". Just keep writing and rewriting.

Quote from: Nayrman on May 20, 2009, 07:08:11 PM
Although it's not a novel, I'll still mention it. (I want to go into movies and make good 'ol 2D animation viable again and similar to anime in that it can by for anyone and everyone and not just a stupid kids medium for fart jokes and Pixar to rehash the same old stories over and over again).

I have three other ideas as well, one I hope to begin soon. Naria will be updated once my summer class is over in the middle of June. The other two I don't plan on writing anytime soon, especially since one is basically just american Gurren Lagann...

Cool. I must admit though, it's a lot of writing for just one web page! I'll look into it though.

I have many ideas for American manga/comics and anime/cartoons as well. They are:
- Anime/Cartoon: a near-future, space war, mecha, drama, romance
- Manga/Comic: a mystery, adventure
- Manga/Comic: a drama, romance

By the way, what or who is "Gurren Lagann"?

Nayrman

Dude, I'm only four chapters into Naria. I've been meaning to write more but I've been too busy with other stuff / too lazy to sit down and start up again.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is one of the most awesome/cheesy/epic mecha anime ever. Basically, if you've heard the phrases "Yours is a drill that will pierce the heaves", "Who the hell do you think I am?!", and "Don't believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you!" it's from there.
Basically, the ending fight is a guy inside a giant mech, controlling a bigger giant mech, controlling a BIGGER giant mech, and they're fighting using galaxies themselves. It's purely epic. Sure it's not the most well thought out or deepest thing ever, but it's just a really fun show to watch, especially with friends.

Magnum

Yeah.
Divine
It's set in a world like ours but a bit more religious. Their god is called, "The Holy One". When he was creating everything his energy began to dispense. He quickly created 13 knights, each holding a power of nature he was creating. 7 affiliated with Light, 6 with Darkness. Then an evil warrior appeared holding more power than anything that could be imagined.

And if I go further I'll be writing the story. But I have on kinda like a alternate reality of our world except really different.

Oh Vesperia, never change... never change

Light

Eh, not at the moment, but I have had some animation screenplay ideas floating around my head. My older sister's the writer of the family. She's going to major in Creative Writing, and even got a scholarship for her works (not much money, but it helps). Last time I checked, she was about ten chapters in to one of her stories, but I'm not sure what's happened since.
Holy crap all my sigs were always poop. Best leave this space alone.

RX-78-2

Quote from: Nayrman on May 20, 2009, 07:59:48 PM
Dude, I'm only four chapters into Naria. I've been meaning to write more but I've been too busy with other stuff / too lazy to sit down and start up again.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is one of the most awesome/cheesy/epic mecha anime ever...

Sounds good. I really enjoy a good anime, and, even though I haven't really watched too much/many of the lesser-known gems, I am really interested in them.

Quote from: MagnumSonic on May 20, 2009, 09:13:06 PM
Yeah.
Divine
It's set in a world like ours but a bit more religious. Their god is called, "The Holy One". When he was creating everything his energy began to dispense. He quickly created 13 knights, each holding a power of nature he was creating. 7 affiliated with Light, 6 with Darkness. Then an evil warrior appeared holding more power than anything that could be imagined.

And if I go further I'll be writing the story. But I have on kinda like a alternate reality of our world except really different.

This too, sounds good. Are you planning to finish and publish it? I'm trying to do so with mine. So far, I've written 38 pages of my story (19 chapters the chapters are short) on MS Word in:
- Font: Calibri
- Font Size: 10
- Spacing: double-spaced

So glad to hear from you all.  :)

Magnum

Quote from: TerribleFrog on May 21, 2009, 01:15:15 PM
This too, sounds good. Are you planning to finish and publish it?
Yeah not really. Whenever I try to write it it just doesn't feel right. I don't have the right vocabulary and I'm not to good at righting details without it dragging. So I just have my first part done.

Oh Vesperia, never change... never change

Triforceman22

QuoteRobotnik: GET A LOAD OF THIS!!!!!!!!

Level_9_Chao

Quote from: Nayrman on May 20, 2009, 07:08:11 PM

I wanna team up. That's exactly what I wanna do too.

As for stories, I'm not patient or skilled enough to write a book or story, but I have a few pretty good ideas. I've also written a buttload of songs which I would post if anyone cared.
Become a Failbook fan: Victory Road :3

The Game Boy Pocket.
Put it in your back pocket.
Sit down and it breaks.

RX-78-2

Quote from: MagnumSonic on May 21, 2009, 03:03:20 PM
Yeah not really. Whenever I try to write it it just doesn't feel right. I don't have the right vocabulary and I'm not to good at righting details without it dragging. So I just have my first part done.

You have to really feel your writing. When you re-read it, it has to sound, fluid, real (in most cases), stylish, and interesting. You have to want read it as if you were your own audience. In case you didn't know, the best thing to do is just... read... and read some more. Especially read the genres that you want to write, but make sure that they're "critically-acclaimed". For instance, for the novel that I'm writing, I would mostly read books like the Harry Potter series, or the Inheritance series (Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr). I find it very helpful to pick up some techniques from authors and usually end up being influenced by them. Reading of course can also increase your vocabulary, but you don't have to describe everything either. Only what you need to and only what you want to. Just keep writing!  :)

Ridley

Quote from: TerribleFrog on May 21, 2009, 09:59:46 PM
You have to really feel your writing. When you re-read it, it has to sound, fluid, real (in most cases), stylish, and interesting. You have to want read it as if you were your own audience. In case you didn't know, the best thing to do is just... read... and read some more. Especially read the genres that you want to write, but make sure that they're "critically-acclaimed". For instance, for the novel that I'm writing, I would mostly read books like the Harry Potter series, or the Inheritance series (Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr). I find it very helpful to pick up some techniques from authors and usually end up being influenced by them. Reading of course can also increase your vocabulary, but you don't have to describe everything either. Only what you need to and only what you want to. Just keep writing!  :)

You and your loopy little magical stories lol. Do something real like a mystery or a Horror. Those make great novels.
...Friend codes were probably implemented by the same people who wanted tripping in Brawl...
...It's quite obvious...

RX-78-2

Quote from: Ridley on May 21, 2009, 10:02:59 PM
You and your loopy little magical stories lol. Do something real like a mystery or a Horror. Those make great novels.

What are you talking about? "Do something real like a mystery or a Horror? [sic]" That IS what I'm doing. Read the previous posts. By the way, if you meant READ, then guess what? I DO read mysteries (not so much horror, but neither do you). I think you just don't like "loopy little magical stories" because ye olde parents don't let you read them (i.e. Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings).

ITG post lol you know I "jk"  :D

THEBIRD

Your story sounds interesting. I could never find the right inspiration to make a story. I have started a few, but would always abandon them quickly. I'd either get bored, uninspired, or such and then never look back. There was this short story I wrote for English once, and I found it interesting. Maybe one day I'll attempt to create a full-fledged book. Who knows, crazier things have happened.