News:

<+Clu> im 100% nigga

Main Menu

Any really good Anime?

Started by Dog Food, June 25, 2009, 08:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dog Food

I don't know, I thought I'd try some. A friend of mine likes Naruto. But, I thought I'd ask you guys what Anime you like, and what you'd suggest to watch for a first-timer. I'll then look for them on Hulu, and give my own Anime-virgin comments.
I get obsessively manic over things. It's a problem.

Fish

What genre? Action, Drama, Slice of Life, ect...
There's a ton of anime out there. =D

Gwen Khan

I enjoyed Outlaw Star, it's short only 26 episodes

Nayrman

anime is such a ubiquitous word nowadays. Seriously there is an anime for pretty much everyone and every genre.

But as far as "beginner" stuff goes. Start with some well known ones like Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Ghost in the Shell, Fullmetal Alchemist, and MAYBE Evangelion if you feel up to it.
Then work into the more obscure stuff like Higurashi No Koro Ni, Eden of the East, Elfen Lied, Azumanga Daioh, Xam'd, etc.

Just to note: Try to stick away from Shonen Jump stuff unless it's one of the "classics" like Dragonball, Hakuto no Ken (Fist of the North Star), and Rurouni Kenshin. Ones like One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach you'll just learn over time since they're so immensely popular. If you feel like you must look into these, read the manga before hand. Manga is usually better for Shonen Jump, not to mention a faster look into. Shaman King and Death Note had great manga, but some pretty "meh" anime.

Syncopathic

I seriously recommend Yu Yu Hakusho, of course, after the Dark Tournament, it goes to poop.
I also recommend Gurren Lagann (oh god so awesome)
-Neon Genesis Evangelion
-Higurashi No Koro Ni (THIS. THIS. THIS. Keep in mind, Higurashi No Koro Ni Kai is the second part. Watch this first)

Nayrman

Quote from: Sync on June 25, 2009, 08:47:52 PM
I seriously recommend Yu Yu Hakusho, of course, after the Dark Tournament, it goes to s***.
I also recommend Gurren Lagann (oh god so awesome)
-Neon Genesis Evangelion
-Higurashi No Koro Ni (THIS. THIS. THIS. Keep in mind, Higurashi No Koro Ni Kai is the second part. Watch this first)
Gurren Lagann will just be too weird for someone trying to get into anime. Watch at least one mecha series first before that series. Otherwise you won't appreciate it as much X_X;;

Oh god don't get me started on Yu Yu Hakusho after the Dark Tournament. At least the Buu saga in DBZ kept some consistency, that show went into loops.

You seen Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Rei yet? It's the third season, I think the fourth episode is still in raw from what I've seen. It's a good update, although you can tell they're kind of forcing it. At least it's a interesting idea.

Syncopathic

Quote from: Nayrman on June 25, 2009, 08:50:39 PM
Gurren Lagann will just be too weird for someone trying to get into anime. Watch at least one mecha series first before that series. Otherwise you won't appreciate it as much X_X;;

Oh god don't get me started on Yu Yu Hakusho after the Dark Tournament. At least the Buu saga in DBZ kept some consistency, that show went into loops.

You seen Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Rei yet? It's the third season, I think the fourth episode is still in raw from what I've seen. It's a good update, although you can tell they're kind of forcing it. At least it's a interesting idea.
Yeah, I've seen it. It is interesting.

Mystic

Zovistograt

I would really like to know what kind of stuff you'd like.

I think the best way to get into it though is to watch anime that balances action and slice-of-life elements, so that you can decide which side you want to favor.

I'd highly suggest Shakugan no Shana for that.
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Fish

Quote from: Zovistograt on June 26, 2009, 08:50:50 AM
I would really like to know what kind of stuff you'd like.

I think the best way to get into it though is to watch anime that balances action and slice-of-life elements, so that you can decide which side you want to favor.

I'd highly suggest Shakugan no Shana for that.
I was just about to suggest that!  =O

Magnum

I don't know. Gurren Lagann just has a feel good vibe to it(I always freak out in joy at the 'King Kittan Giga Drill Breaker'). I think that I have gotten into anime quick if I'd have watched that first(not freakin' Yu Yu Hakusho).

I never was a fan, but a lot of people like Lucky Star. It's a full on Slice-of-life comedy.
And then for fantasy stuff... Trigun is alright but it has a western feel also. So this could be a good half and half anime. Kinda.
Maybe Slayers? It's a regular story, off to slay the EVIL people with an anime twist.

I don't know. It would be best for you to start off with some of the popular stuff, like people have been saying, and move into some of the hidden goodies.
And for your own minds sake, don't watch Neon Genesis Evangelion first. Your brain will get raped

Oh Vesperia, never change... never change

Dog Food

I've seen some Naruto with my friend and I liked it. I also watched Dragon Ball Z when I was younger (the first series, if I remember correctly. Before it got revamped with that new name and everything.) I liked them both. I saw the first episode of Naruto last night, and it was interesting. I'll probably continue watching it, as well as some of your suggestions.

What are Higurashi No Koro Ni and Shakugan no Shana about? Also, I've heard of Fullmetal Alchemist somewhere online before, so I may look into that one as well.

Nayrman

Fullmetal Alchemist is one of the best examples of a good, solid show that beats the crap out of everything America has produced in a LONG time.

Higurashi no Koro Ni is based on a series of murder/mystery games. Basically each little arc is following one of the main characters as they slowly go insane and end up going on a murderous rampage and brutally killing everyone else. Then the following arc is usually showing the same events from someone else's perspective as to why the other person goes insane. Then it restarts with someone else going insane. The second season is about the grand scheme of things as to why all of them have this problem, etc. There is a third season, but it's barely started.

Dude, quit Naruto while you're ahead. We don't need any more Narutards. Besides, over 120 episodes in the original series alone is filler. And out of the 120-ish in Naruto Shippuden, I bet you at least half of that is filler. It's horrible X_X:;

Captain Justice

anime is poopty watch real shows instead
Quote from: Talim on September 04, 2009, 05:26:53 PM
Yesterday, sort of. I was on the verge of crying. Why? I got into an argument with a couple other people from #nsider and it got me really upset. I didn't really cry much though
Quote from: Tsumaru on September 20, 2009, 11:29:22 AM
Can we ban Hoss, please?

Dog Food

Quote from: Echo on June 26, 2009, 08:30:34 PM
anime is poopty watch real shows instead
I do, but it's summer. All my shows are over ;-;. I thought I'd watch some Anime over the summer, since I'll be up late into the night, and they are easy to find online.

And when I watch a show, I enjoy watching possible love interests and seeing how the relationship grows over time. I'm not looking for a bunch of sex or nudity, and I don't want that to be the main focus of the show, but I like watching those kinds of things unfold. Once they start dating things get boring, though D:. It's the chase I like to watch. Basically it's the character development.

So, Higurashi no Koro Ni might not be for me? Seems like you don't get much of a character, as the main characters switch often (well, definite character development, but you can't get attached to a character). Still sounds interesting, though. I like murder/mystery.