Main Menu

Any really good Anime?

Started by Dog Food, June 25, 2009, 08:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shujinco2

DR. SLUMP!

Nayrman

Quote from: Jill Koy on June 26, 2009, 09:46:20 PM
I do, but it's summer. All my shows are over ;-;. I thought I'd watch some Anime over the summer, since I'll be up late into the night, and they are easy to find online.

And when I watch a show, I enjoy watching possible love interests and seeing how the relationship grows over time. I'm not looking for a bunch of sex or nudity, and I don't want that to be the main focus of the show, but I like watching those kinds of things unfold. Once they start dating things get boring, though D:. It's the chase I like to watch. Basically it's the character development.

So, Higurashi no Koro Ni might not be for me? Seems like you don't get much of a character, as the main characters switch often (well, definite character development, but you can't get attached to a character). Still sounds interesting, though. I like murder/mystery.

Oh, in Higurashi you can get attached to the characters. It just doesn't have the development of say, FMA or Cowboy Bebop. It's an interesting concept, so I'd give it a look at least.

Quote from: Penmoet on June 27, 2009, 06:57:42 PM
DR. SLUMP!
Dude, you're like obsessed with that series.

Shujinco2

QuoteDude, you're like obsessed with that series.
Have you seen an episode of Dr. Slump yet? I'd advise you to at least watch one of the episodes.

Nayrman

Quote from: Penmoet on June 27, 2009, 07:05:13 PM
Have you seen an episode of Dr. Slump yet? I'd advise you to at least watch one of the episodes.
I'm not saying it's bad just saying you're obsessed with it X_X:;

Shujinco2

Quote from: Nayrman on June 27, 2009, 07:21:10 PM
I'm not saying it's bad just saying you're obsessed with it X_X:;
I know, I know. I was simply asking a semi-off-topic question unrelating to your statement of my obsession.

Zovistograt

Quote from: MagnumSonic on June 26, 2009, 12:39:50 PM
I never was a fan, but a lot of people like Lucky Star. It's a full on Slice-of-life comedy.
I'll have to say that LS isn't the most "full-on" slice-of-life comedy I've seen because it relies a lot on parody that doesn't always fit in with total slice-of-life boundaries.  Even something like Hidamari Sketch, which doesn't revolve around parody and is for the most part devoid of anything abnormal, has a ninja-like principal and some wonky physics.  It's hard to find a real slice-of-life comedy because comedy anime is so fast-paced.  Slice-of-life romances are much more common, like Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora.
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Nayrman

Quote from: Zovistograt on June 28, 2009, 01:52:13 PM
  It's hard to find a real slice-of-life comedy because comedy anime is so fast-paced.
Azumanga Daioh X_X;;

Zovistograt

Quote from: Nayrman on June 28, 2009, 01:55:55 PM

Azumanga Daioh X_X;;
I was thinking of Azumanga Daioh! actually, but even then...

even if it's not "real", it's still out of the scope of slice-of-life.

AD is more slice-of-life than LS though, yes.
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Nayrman

All of "Chiyo's Papa" scenes are either dreams or Osaka being stupid and daydreaming. But yea that's the most basic slice of life show I could think of despite all of Osaka's weirdness. At least the problems they face are usual high school stuff, so it's at least mostly slice of life.

God I hate Lucky Star. It's so annoying.

Zovistograt

Quote from: Nayrman on June 28, 2009, 03:31:00 PM
All of "Chiyo's Papa" scenes are either dreams or Osaka being stupid and daydreaming. But yea that's the most basic slice of life show I could think of despite all of Osaka's weirdness. At least the problems they face are usual high school stuff, so it's at least mostly slice of life.

God I hate Lucky Star. It's so annoying.
I just don't understand how you can like other slice-of-lifes and absolutely despise Lucky Star like that.  Is it the lack of plot?  Lucky Star isn't about plot, it's about characters and parody.  That's it.  You have to enjoy it for that.

Nayrman

I don't like slice of life shows. Azumanga Daioh is the only one I actually enjoyed watching. K-ON was Okay, and the rest are just meh.

I hate LS because all the characters are just annoying little poops who never shut up. Not to mention not a single one of them have any characteristics to make up for their flaws. They're just annoying giggly high school girls. The parody is okay but Excel Saga and Puni Puni Poemi were just so much better at it. Not to mention Hayate no Gotoku (Combat Butler) does the references in a not as annoying way.

Anarchy_Jas

- Cowboy Bebop
- Samurai Champloo
- FLCL
- FullMetal Alchemest (FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is a remake that's supposed to follow the manga more closely)
- Ouran Host Club (It's shojo, but hey, you asked for good anime. xD)
- Vampire Knight (Also shojo)
- Black Blood Brothers
- Ghost in the Shell (The first series is Stand Alone Complex, the second is 2nd Gig. There are also three movies.)
- Rurouni Kenshin
- Kuropoopsuji
- Kara no Kyokai

-Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni... It's intercourse in' AMAZING (as you can tell my my sig and avi, lol). You have to watch and pay attention to the plot as the episodes progress. The main characters switch, but it's to get a different pov of the plot, connecting the pieces to figure out why certain things happened. There's a second season that ties it all together

As for getting attached to the characters, oh yes you can! Mion/Shion/Rena are my faves! The characters come back each episode because the show's kinda like a game that has multiple choices that need to be made to get the right ending. It's all about twisting fate. I know, it sounds confusing, but you HAVE to see it to understand.

Higurashi preview

OMG I wish I could laugh like this. No lie. (=<

Kinda has more detailed/spoiler-filled
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

"I know they hope I fall, but tell 'em winning is my muthaeffin protocol."

Nayrman

Quote from: Sh0rTi on July 03, 2009, 02:25:06 PM

- Kara no Kyokai

THANK YOU. Someone besides me who's seen that here.

Anarchy_Jas

Quote from: Nayrman on July 03, 2009, 02:43:50 PM
THANK YOU. Someone besides me who's seen that here.

Hell yeah! *High fives*
"I know they hope I fall, but tell 'em winning is my muthaeffin protocol."

Nayrman

Quote from: Sh0rTi on July 03, 2009, 02:55:53 PM
Hell yeah! *High fives*
*receives high five*

I even have Ryogi Shiki as my wallpaper. I think OVA 6 comes out next month, I'd have to check though.