News:

Our thoughts go to Silver and his family in this difficult time.

Main Menu

College

Started by Dog Food, April 14, 2010, 12:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dog Food

Ah, college. The single greatest two to four year experience that you don't remember.

Junior year of high school is almost done for me, and as such I've been looking for colleges I might want to attend. April vacation starts this weekend, too, so I'll really start touring college campuses then.  I'm looking for a college in the New York-Rhode Island-Massachusetts area. I've seen Siena (toured, it was alright), Salve Regina (visited, love the view of the water), URI (visited, but going to take a tour this weekend), BU (holy crap their security is so intricate it is painful. A real turn off that if I want to visit friends in another dorm I have to sign-in somewhere), and the obligatory UConn (because my dad is all biased and refuses to let me go anywhere else because he went there and loved it. Plus it's cheap because it's our state school so he refuses to allow me to go anywhere that costs even a penny more). But the one thing I do not want to do is go to a school in my own state. I'm ready to go out, explore, and not rely on them to help me with problems.

So, talk about college here. Where you go, the perks of it, the negatives, where you want to go, what you're planning on majoring in, minoring in, discuss your resume blah blah blah. This is your new, unofficial College Chat Thread for those of you who still have a long ways to go and are wondering about it, to the nervous people just about to enter, to the vets who are knowledgeable in the craft of college.

Discuss.
I get obsessively manic over things. It's a problem.

Magnum

Quote from: KJ on April 14, 2010, 12:35:46 PM
Ah, college. The single greatest two to four year experience that you don't remember.

Junior year of high school is almost done for me, and as such I've been looking for colleges I might want to attend. April vacation starts this weekend, too, so I'll really start touring college campuses then.  I'm looking for a college in the New York-Rhode Island-Massachusetts area. I've seen Siena (toured, it was alright), Salve Regina (visited, love the view of the water), URI (visited, but going to take a tour this weekend), BU (holy crap their security is so intricate it is painful. A real turn off that if I want to visit friends in another dorm I have to sign-in somewhere), and the obligatory UConn (because my dad is all biased and refuses to let me go anywhere else because he went there and loved it. Plus it's cheap because it's our state school so he refuses to allow me to go anywhere that costs even a penny more). But the one thing I do not want to do is go to a school in my own state. I'm ready to go out, explore, and not rely on them to help me with problems.

So, talk about college here. Where you go, the perks of it, the negatives, where you want to go, what you're planning on majoring in, minoring in, discuss your resume blah blah blah. This is your new, unofficial College Chat Thread for those of you who still have a long ways to go and are wondering about it, to the nervous people just about to enter, to the vets who are knowledgeable in the craft of college.

Discuss.
You got 1 thing wrong there.
2-4-8

I'll take the last option :| I hate imagining that I have to go through College for as long as Elementary + Middle School.

Actually, I have looked at a few places, but I'm not sure yet. Need to find a place that is affordable (this is the big part of it all).

Oh Vesperia, never change... never change

L10

Well, I've only visited one college so far, SUNY IT. My brother was planning on going there but applied too late. I'm going in a similar field as my brother so he's gone to all the schools I would go to look at, and if he picked SUNY IT there probably is a good reason for it. So I think I'll end up going there, if not maybe Alfred State which is where my brother ended up going.(SUNY IT is like between Alfred and RIT academically wise)

But from the looks of things so far, as long as I apply in time I'll make it into SUNY IT, just gotta see what my SAT scores are.
0o!f

DSGamer3002

Living in California and having a high school GPA over 4.00, I'm very likely to go to a UC. My top choices are Cal or UCLA, but considering the dropping budget of the state of California and the UC system increasing the percentage of accepted students from out-of-state, I'm finding my chances of actually getting into either of these top schools are dropping. This is especially due to the fact that I have 0 community service hours and the competition within my grade at my school is very tough for the top 15%. As of last Fall I was 19th/273 in my grade, and the "high-end" schools appear to only be taking from the top 4%, and I'm not in that range.  :P

I'm also considering just attending a local community college for freshman/sophomore years just to get my basic credentials out of the way, then transferring into Cal to focus on my majors. It all depends on how things work out over the summer, in October and November, and what the responses from colleges say in a year from now. It's all very nerve-racking when I focus on thinking about it, but I try to keep it in the back of my mind as much as possible since I hear about it all the time from my parents, grandparents, teachers, etc.

Allegretto

College is pretty awesome, being able to set up the time and day's of your glasses. Having the option of having most of your classes online *Well I got that option D:

Also I met my girlfriend in college, and it's been going pretty great for the short time we'v been dating.
It's a fun experience so far. Majoring in Psych. Ganna be awesome.

PsychoYoshi

PY is now done with college. He feels old.

Anyway, I was a dual major in Biology and History. Started off as pre-med, quickly dropped that once I took organic chem and had my ass kicked. Graduated with a 3.22 cumulative GPA, and a 3.77 in my history major. A few pieces of advice for you youngins.

1) Start your college search early, IE late sophomore year in high school. The earlier you do, the longer you'll have to learn about the school, take visits, talk to kids there, and find the school that is the best fit academically, socially, and financially.

2) Never, ever apply to only one school, even if you think that you're a shoe-in there. Something might change drastically in your personal life, you might not be able to go there, and even if you do get accepted, you'll have more negotiating room with your schools if you can play them against each other by having them compete to give you scholarships, grants, yadda yadda.

3) By early senior year, narrow it down to 3-5 schools and spend a night at each; overnight visits will really help you get a feel for a school. When you visit a school, talk to ordinary students, not the tour guides (who are paid to say nice things), and see what they think about the school. Ask the difficult questions like how safe the campus is, how good the food is, whether or not students there are very studious, whether there are drug/alcohol problems, and the like, not questions which students can easily quote US News and World Report ratings.

4) Major advantages of big schools:
-More students that share your interests
-More students usually means that professors have to curve in introductory (usually 100-level) classes. I went to a small school, but because my 100-level biology class was comparatively large, most tests had a 20% curve, so a 65% turned into a solid B. Keep in mind, however, that there is usually no curve in upper-division (300-400) level classes, and if there is, it will usually work against you (E.G., you might need a 80% to pass the course.
-Big college usually means a big town surrounding it, so you'll be able to get out into town on weekends for restaurants and movie visits.
-Most graduate schools are attached to big undergraduate colleges and if you go to a college for your Bachelor's, they'll often give you priority consideration for graduate school or even offer more financial aid.

Major advantages of small schools:
-You'll know more/most people on campus; this can be a good or a bad thing and will help to cement solid friendships (or old grudges).
-Because professors have fewer students, you'll be able to go to them for one-on-one help more easily, and they will know you well enough to write great letters of recommendation.
-Smaller schools normally have less administrative red tape, and at very small ones, the college President might even leave his door open for students if they have concerns.
-You won't have to play the curving game as much; many small schools use the familiar 10-point spread (90-100%= A, etc.) seen at most high schools and will only deviate from it in very large classes.
-Because smaller schools have less students, you'll get more writing and speaking assignments. Usually translates to more work for you, but these are incredibly important skills for both grad school and finding jobs.

ONCE YOU ARE IN COLLEGE:
1) Remember that you are there to study and get a degree, not party. The economy sucks, and it's a very competitive job/grad school market out there right now. You cannot afford to slack off, especially if you're going into the sciences. Even if (actually, especially if) you were a straight-A student in high school without trying, remember that the majority of people at your college will be as smart or smarter than you are. You will need to read your textbooks and do homework, because professors will be expecting for you to come to them if you need questions answered; teachers are done scolding you or giving you detention for failing assignments.

2) Always take a few classes outside of your comfort zone; if you're an English major, take a 100-level science class. It will help you to think critically, and develop you into a more well-rounded person, which employers and grad schools like.

3) Join a couple clubs, but don't get carried away. The great thing about colleges, even incredibly small ones, is that there is usually a club for every interest under the sun, and if there isn't, you're more than willing to start them up. If you're really interested in a club, also try becoming an officer; it shows that you have leadership skills, which will again be a pro for employers and grad schools.

4) If you're an extrovert, go ahead and go to parties, but don't let them intrude on your study time. If you're an introvert, go to one or two, anyway; if you're not comfortable with big frat parties or the like, invite a group of friends from a club over for a movie or poker night.

4b) While we're on the subject of frat parties, frats vary significantly between college to college (and even house-to-house within a single college); some are very stereotypical houses filled with misogynistic, hairy jocks who do kegstands, wear togas, and paddle people. Others are genuinely sane, smart people who love video gaming and merely want the opportunity to develop close friendships. The major advantage of a frat/sorority is that you'll have the opportunity to build some great professional references among your brothers/sisters. Networking is very important when finding a job, just as much (if not more) than your qualifications.

5) Most colleges will have you fill out a housing survey before they assign you a room and roommate. Answer the questions as honestly as you can, and if they give you the opportunity to tell a bit about yourself in essay format, bleed your heart out. A good roommate is quite possibly the most important thing at college after your studies. I was fortunate enough to get placed with an excellent one during my first year, we roomed together during all 4 years, and we're still great friends. If your freshman year one isn't ideal, you'll be able to get a new one next year, hopefully with some of the friends you've made in classes or clubs.

6) Just because you're away from Mom and Dad doesn't mean that you should suddenly become a loose cannon and start drinking and having sex constantly, eating unhealthy food, and leave soiled clothes on your dorm room floor. As hard as it seems at times, you will need to be your own bad cop. While we're on the subject of drinking, some colleges are very strict regarding underage drinking, others are not. If you insist on engaging in risky behaviors, you should be willing to accept the consequences of your own actions.

7) I mentioned sex along with drinking; I'm going to segue into relationship discussion. Unlike in high school, a large number of kids are no longer looking for quick hookups and want serious relationships. There are still plenty in the former group, though. Regardless of which group you're in, approach relationships carefully and if you absolutely must have sex with someone (I still wouldn't recommend it, but it's your life), for the love of gum, use protection. Many colleges offer free condoms, anyway, so you have little excuse.

8) Unless you had a terrible time at home, you will get homesick, and your folks will miss you. Give your parents a call once a week and let them know how your classes are progressing, what friends you've made, and how terrible the cafeteria food was. They'll appreciate hearing from you.

9) If possible, make friends with your TAs/professors. They can help you launch that independent study project that you've always wanted to do, and they'll be the ones who will be writing your letters of recommendation for entry-level jobs and graduate school, and you'll want them to be as glowing as they possibly can be. While we're on the subject of letters of rec, always give your professor at least a month's notice to write the letter.

More later if I feel like it.