News:

Our thoughts go to Silver and his family in this difficult time.

Main Menu

Unique Holiday Traditions

Started by Kayo, December 12, 2010, 07:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kayo

Well, I was thinking.. does your family do anything out of the ordinary for the holiday season?

I, personally, can't say that I do. We have our traditions, but it's nothing too unique. The whole family comes over to my house and we have Lasagna. And we have so many people that we have to set up extra tables in the living room, hallway, etc. That's about it.

So let's hear about anything different you guys might do this time of year.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Nayrman

My family tradition is to complain about christmas because we're Jewish and it's FUCKING ANNOYING HAVING NON-STOP CHRISTMAS SHIT FOR TWO FUCKING MONTHS

Kayo

Quote from: Nayrman on December 12, 2010, 07:16:27 PM
My family tradition is to complain about christmas because we're Jewish and it's FUCKING ANNOYING HAVING NON-STOP CHRISTMAS SHIT FOR TWO FUCKING MONTHS
new title. Try again.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Nayrman

Kayo

Quote from: Nayrman on December 12, 2010, 07:29:18 PM
Well then Channukah
You don't do anything out of the ordinary for that?
[move][/move]

Nayrman

Quote from: Kayo on December 12, 2010, 07:30:11 PM
You don't do anything out of the ordinary for that?
Why? It's not like early winter is some super special time of year where stuff is supposed to happen.

Kayo

Quote from: Nayrman on December 12, 2010, 07:35:54 PM
Why? It's not like early winter is some super special time of year where stuff is supposed to happen.
I will never really understand Hanukkah.
[move][/move]

Nayrman

Quote from: Kayo on December 12, 2010, 07:37:38 PM
I will never really understand Hanukkah.
and yet we're the ones that have to put up with an overly commercialized holiday that gets rammed down everyone's throat.

Kayo

Quote from: Nayrman on December 12, 2010, 07:48:56 PM
and yet we're the ones that have to put up with an overly commercialized holiday that gets rammed down everyone's throat.
True. Hanukkah lasts 7 days longer (right?) than Christmas, yet gets less than 1% of the amount of hype Christmas does. yeah, commercials and stuff always try to be "politically correct" and say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas," but they depict kids running down stairs to get presents from under their chr- I mean "holiday tree."

Instead of trying to be 'politically correct,' they should just show less Christmas and more Hanukkah. Okay, maybe after Hanukkah's over it can be only Christmas. But other holidays deserve recognition too.
[move][/move]

ThePowerOfOne

I stay far away from my family during the holidays. Far, far away.

Magnum

My parents and I have an awesome tradition. Hang out 25th, buy stuff on the 26th, and then do all the presents on the 27th :3 Saves SO much money.

Oh Vesperia, never change... never change

Nayrman

Quote from: Kayo on December 12, 2010, 07:52:53 PM
True. Hanukkah lasts 7 days longer (right?) than Christmas, yet gets less than 1% of the amount of hype Christmas does. yeah, commercials and stuff always try to be "politically correct" and say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas," but they depict kids running down stairs to get presents from under their chr- I mean "holiday tree."

Instead of trying to be 'politically correct,' they should just show less Christmas and more Hanukkah. Okay, maybe after Hanukkah's over it can be only Christmas. But other holidays deserve recognition too.
Yes, Channukah is eight days. I wouldn't mind christmas being the "primary" holiday of the season if it weren't for the fact that it's put up EVERYWHERE for two straight months. If it were everywhere for like, the week OF christmas I'd be ok. If it were a bit subdued and not everywhere for say the month of december I wouldn't mind. But the second Halloween is over it's like "OK RUN THE CHRISTMAS STUFF!" for two months. Oy...

Silverhawk79

We read 'The Night Before Christmas', and we each take a (poopty) gift. We rotate gifts to the left on "the" and to the right on "and".
It's fun. :D

Potestas

Something unusual for most Americans:

We Dutch celebrate 'Sinterklaas' and get our presents at that time instead of christmas. Santa Claus is actually partially based on Sinterklaas.

Other neat Dutch traditions are eating 'pepernoten' during Sinterklaas and 'Oliebollen' at Christmas. I love both.

Click the sig to level it up. Go to Ichimonai.com to learn more.