News:

UH SOMETHING BROKE HANG ON

Main Menu

Some good albums from 2010 (in case you missed them)

Started by Titus Andronicus, December 19, 2010, 11:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Titus Andronicus

ITT we recommend albums that came out this year. Not necessarily a top of 2010, but just some noteable albums you should probably pick up without having to sift through the bias of Pitchfork or the new band focus of Last.fm.

The Monitor is probably my favorite album ever, let alone of the year, and it would be a shame to miss out on it. Comparing parts of life to events in the Civil War and with some awesome lyrics ("You ain't never been no virgin kid, you were intercourse ed from the start"), it'll keep your foot tapping and head bobbing for a while. On a side note, they're playing an awesome show in Brooklyn for New Years Eve, gooooo!

The Suburbs isn't something that I'll have to remind you of because you've probably already heard it everywhere. But that doesn't make it any less good, and if you did happen to miss out on it, then you should probably get to it and get it now. In fact, while you're at it, get Funeral too, because it's also amazing.

uh yeah music
Tramps like us, baby we were born to die.

Lotos

Touhou fans will like Sekkenya's "Shabon" Single which was released in October.  You can order it without having to find a Doujin shop.  I've been told YesAsia is a good place to order it from.

Kayo

Not even going to say because I'd get flamed for my music so NOPE
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Macawmoses

Sink or Swim We'll Go Together by Stenobot

Other than the fact it's free, it's just amazing chiptunes.

I also highly recommend my two albums of the year...

Tron: Legacy -- Daft Punk and How I Got Over -- The Roots

phenomenal

ThePowerOfOne

Quote from: Kayo on December 19, 2010, 07:15:37 PM
...It's Teenage Dream, isn't it?

Mystic

I recommend, off the top of my head:

Michael
Tron Legacy
Pink Friday
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Kayo

I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Custom

Quote from: Kayo on December 19, 2010, 07:15:37 PM

the new linkin park album sucks and you should feel bad for liking it

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

Kayo

Quote from: CUSTOM THE HERO on December 29, 2010, 09:27:25 AM
the new linkin park album sucks and you should feel bad for liking it
Except that wasn't what I was thinking about.
[move][/move]

Light

The Orchard -- Ra Ra Riot

One of my favorite bands released their sophomore album this year, and it does not disappoint. If you like indie, I definitely recommend this album, as well as their first one (The Rhumb Line). Some of the songs drag on and aren't as diverse as others (I can't stand "Massachusetts"), but there really are some gems in here ("Too Dramatic", "Foolish", "You and I Know". So yeah. It's a good album.

Light & Gold -- Eric Whitacre

A collection of modern-classical composer Eric Whitacre's pieces, this album is done the way Whitacre originally intended his songs to be done; with him conducting the singers. The pieces are great for easy listening; if you need to study or work on a hard project, put this on in the background. Best tracks are "Lux Aurumque", "The Seal Lullaby", "Leonardo Dreams of His Flying Machine", and "i thank you God for most this amazing day".
Holy crap all my sigs were always poop. Best leave this space alone.

Homewrecker

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Your mileage may vary, but it's my favorite hip-hop album of the year in a year full of great hip-hop releases. A fantastic album if you can manage to avoid the hype. Kanye admittedly isn't the greatest rapper or singer around, but he definitely manages to make it work despite that. Great beats and unabashedly honest lyrics.

Los Campesinos! - Romance is Boring

A decent release from a band that's very divisive for me. Annoying at times.

Massive Attack - Heligoland

Another release from my favorite downtempo electronic band.

Two Door Cinema Club - Tourist History

Real dancy and fast-tempo indie rock. Incredibly catchy, but all the songs blur into each other and it's very same-y throughout.

Gorillaz - Plastic Beach

A departure from their usual sound that I thought was nice. Your mileage may vary.

The Dillinger Escape Plan - Option Paralysis

The poppiest album of this metal/mathcore band that's been around for a while. Didn't like some parts of it.

Coheed and Cambria - Year of the Black Rainbow

Haven't heard their other albums, so I don't have much to compare this to.

Foxy Shazam - Foxy Shazam

Worst album I've heard all year. Bland, uninspired, derivative post-hardcore that rips off Queen and adds nothing new to the table. Unlike just about every other band that's ripped off Queen.

Cee-Lo Green - The Lady Killer

Feel good soul from an amazing singer.

Gogol Bordello - Trans-Continental Hustle

Gypsy punk. Decent album.

Big Boi - Sir Lucious Left Foot

One half of Outkast makes an album that's every bit as entertaining.

Janelle MonĂ¡e - The ArchAndroid

Defies any genre label I could possibly put on it. Probably the most expansive and downright brilliant album of the year.

Arcade Fire - The Suburbs

Boring, passionless and predictable.

Broken Social Scene - Forgiveness Rock Record

Decent.

The National - High Violet

Amazing.

AND NOW I'M BORED SO I'M STOPPING HERE

Silverhawk79

The Monitor and The Suburbs are phenomenal like you said, along with Stenobot and Tron.
Also, (Damn) This Desert Air's Distance Waits.