News:

<+Clu> have you tried barbecuing the computer

Main Menu

Super Smash Bros. (Insern New Fight Term Here) 4 Speculation Thread

Started by DededeCloneChris, June 08, 2011, 08:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kayo

Quote from: Neerb on July 23, 2011, 07:45:47 PM
The problem is, you're defining "good" on your opinion. Not on who would best represent the series, not on who has been around since the first game, not on how good of fighters they are in Pokemon (not that that even applies in Smash anyway), not on what they can bring to the game, just on your opinion. Blaziken, Gallade, and other various bipedal characters that other Nintendo characters could easily take the place of are of no actual importance or relevance; Jigglypuff, on the other hand, is a very unique character (judging on actual moves and styles, not on how she looks like Kirby) who had significant relevance in the first game and has since become a staple of the series.

In fact, that's how I often think of her: as a Smash character, not a Pokemon character. She's as relevant to Smash Bros as Master Hand or Mario, even if she's not as relevant to Pokemon anymore. Sure, maybe it would have been nice for someone else to be in in the first place, but she's been here as long as any other character and it wouldn't be the same without her, like a Street Fighter II character that you never play as in SFIV.
Except Jigglypuff can't do much of anything in Smash. And I wouldn't care one bit if she was gone at all. She's a weak and puffy Pokemon with no special abilities other than singing things to sleep, which doesn't help her do stuff in Smash battles. Pikachu is small and weak even, but at least it has electric abilities (I'm not talking about "popularity" here, mind you).

I don't care how popular she was, I don't see WHY they put her in Smash Bros. in the first place. It's like putting Red in without any Pokemon.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Neerb

The ability to fight in your own game doesn't necessarily reflect your ability to fight in crossovers. In case you don't remember, Jigglypuff has a greater movepool in her games than many other Smash characters combined. Note that Fox, Falco, Wolf, Peach, Bowser, Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers, and many other characters had several moves made up for the game, while Jigglypuff's specials are all things she can actually do.

Popularity and ability to represent the series is LITERALLY the ONLY thing needed to get in a fighting crossover, or are you just as annoyed by Phoenix Wright getting into MvC3 as you are Jigglypuff getting into SSBB?

Jigglypuff works; she, like any other character, can do fine as long as the person controlling her is good enough, as displayed by the fact that she was S-TIER IN MELEE and has ALWAYS been higher than Link, who should supposedly be a great warrior.

Like I said in my first comment on the subject, if fighting prowess really took priority over representation, then almost every character would be replaced by a more obscure character from their series; Rawk Hawk and Dimentio would be in instead of Peach and Bowser, Knuckle Joe would be in instead of Dedede, Samurai Goroh would be in instead of Captain Falcon, Midna would be in instead of Zelda, General Scales would be in instead of Wolf, etc etc etc. You can't exempt Pokemon just because there are more characters to choose from.

Kayo

Quote from: Neerb on July 23, 2011, 08:27:18 PM
The ability to fight in your own game doesn't necessarily reflect your ability to fight in crossovers. In case you don't remember, Jigglypuff has a greater movepool in her games than many other Smash characters combined. Note that Fox, Falco, Wolf, Peach, Bowser, Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers, and many other characters had several moves made up for the game, while Jigglypuff's specials are all things she can actually do.

Popularity and ability to represent the series is LITERALLY the ONLY thing needed to get in a fighting crossover, or are you just as annoyed by Phoenix Wright getting into MvC3 as you are Jigglypuff getting into SSBB?

Jigglypuff works; she, like any other character, can do fine as long as the person controlling her is good enough, as displayed by the fact that she was S-TIER IN MELEE and has ALWAYS been higher than Link, who should supposedly be a great warrior.

Like I said in my first comment on the subject, if fighting prowess really took priority over representation, then almost every character would be replaced by a more obscure character from their series; Rawk Hawk and Dimentio would be in instead of Peach and Bowser, Knuckle Joe would be in instead of Dedede, Samurai Goroh would be in instead of Captain Falcon, Midna would be in instead of Zelda, General Scales would be in instead of Wolf, etc etc etc. You can't exempt Pokemon just because there are more characters to choose from.
Why do I even bother arguing with you if you're not even talking about what I'm trying to bring up?
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

The Riddler

Kayo

Quote from: Riddler21 on July 23, 2011, 09:59:58 PM
wait
wait
wait
wait
wait
WH-WHAT?!

WHAT DID I MISS?!
A lot, apparently. I've known about this for a while now.
[move][/move]

Rayquarian

My prediction: Arceus and Zeus from Hercules will be playable.

Zero

Quote from: Kayo on July 23, 2011, 07:53:32 PM
Except Jigglypuff can't do much of anything in Smash.

You clearly don't pay much attention to tier lists, do you? Outside of Brawl, Jiggs was always mid tier or higher in every single legitimate list. In Melee at one point she was in the top 3. In 64 she bounced around from A to B tier, ultimate landing in the C tier, but then again idr.

In Brawl, she sucks absolute ass in the NA version. The PAL version iirc, shes top. I haven't recently checked this out but she's in essence another, albeit weaker/slower MK. Her aerial control is fantastic in that version.

So yeah no. She can do poop. You just can't play her worth a poop.

FruitFlow

Jigglypuff is a beast in the skies, but it's a shame the same can't be said for her ground play.

I will admit that she is indeed a fun character to fool around with, but I honestly don't care if she makes it in the 4th game or not.
Although, it's quite obvious that she won't be going anywhere.
Pikachu and Mewtwo are the only two truly significant characters I at least want to see.

Quote from: Neerb on July 23, 2011, 08:27:18 PM
while Jigglypuff's specials are all things she can actually do.
I don't recall Rest doing any damage in the actual games./sarcasm
"Many people see technology as the problem behind the so-called digital divide. Others see it as the solution. Technology is neither. It must operate in conjunction with business, economic, political and social system."

Neerb

Quote from: FruitFlow on July 24, 2011, 02:03:52 PM
Jigglypuff is a beast in the skies, but it's a shame the same can't be said for her ground play.

I will admit that she is indeed a fun character to fool around with, but I honestly don't care if she makes it in the 4th game or not.
Although, it's quite obvious that she won't be going anywhere.
Pikachu and Mewtwo are the only two truly significant characters I at least want to see.

I don't recall Rest doing any damage in the actual games./sarcasm

Actually, I do question why "Rest" does that; I think actually healing her would be a pretty interesting move, although perhaps that would make her too overpowered.

JrDude

I think it's supposed to be funny.
You all know you laughed when you first heard about Rest doing THAT much damage and then tried it several times until you got it
[move][/move]
Dude .

Quote from: Nayrman on July 22, 2011, 03:36:26 PM
It'd be like making the Virtual Boy an item or something...no one wants to remember those days.
Hey, the Virtual Boy was fine.
...̅̅̅

Nayrman

Quote from: Nayrman on July 24, 2011, 06:04:36 PM
In what universe? Bizarro-land?
This one. Though staying in a comfortable position was a hard to do after a while. But it did have some fun games.
...̅̅̅

Kayo

Except the Virtual Boy is considered to be the biggest flop in Nintendo history.
[move][/move]

I didn't say it was super great, but it was fine. Though it did suck for Nintendo.
...̅̅̅