News:

<+Ice> i have a dildo factory line run by old women in my garage

Main Menu

New game-changing moves and abilities

Started by Kayo, June 17, 2011, 11:25:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kayo

QuoteThe power of Acrobatics is doubled if the user has no held item. Acrobatics can hit non-adjacent opponents in triple battles. If the user is holding a Flying Gem, the item is consumed before this move checks whether the Pokémon has an item or not; therefore, the power is tripled.

I love this new move. It's one of those amazingly dynamic moves that is extremely fun to use and totally twists strategies into some new and exciting combinations. It's like U-Turn in Gen IV, which I also loved.

Yeah, I noticed a whole bunch of these things and I thought I'd point them out.

-The ability Illusion can easily change your entire team's strategy. I use it with U-Turn on Zoroark and it really fools the AI in-game, like in the Battle Subway. It's clearly a confusing thing once you have both the ability and the move going, as the opponent has no way of telling what Pokemon they're even fighting. It takes some planning and predictability though, to switch into the correct Pokemon so that you aren't hit with a supereffective attack.

-Moxie is an ability that has won many battles for me. I use it on my Scrafty, a Pokemon I use all the time. Basically, get a Dragon Dance or two up so you outspeed everything, then keep killing things. Your attack rises CONSTANTLY, and if Scrafty has enough speed boosts from Dragon Dance, it's practically unstoppable.

-Unfortunately, Contrary has not been given very many opportunities for use. The only truly notable example is Serperior, but it's a good one under the right circumstances. Contrary inverts your stat boosts/reductions, so that anytime a spat WOULD normally go down, it goes up. While it has some drawbacks (You can't exactly set up anymore) it's pretty dirty if you get it going. Just spam Leaf Storm; its power will increase every time. If you can manage to get it going, it's amazing. But we just have to wait for the ability to use it legally, since Snivy is not available with Contrary just yet.

-The Moody ability was game-breaking enough to get it banned by Smogon. At the end of every turn it drops one stat by one stage and raises another by two stages. While the stat drop is a bit undesirable, the scary part lies in the ability for a Pokemon's Defense, Attack, or even EVASION to DOUBLE spontaneously. That happens, some pretty dangerous things can happen. It's really difficult to use though, since you have to be prepared in case a certain stat drops. I hope to learn the ways of this eventually.

-Regenerator is probably one of the best abilities in the game. Couple it with U-Turn and it's extremely amusing. U-Turn out and heal, rinse, and repeat. Alternate a frail U-Turn using sweeper (Mienshao!) with a wall that absorbs any attacks aimed at Mienshao... and basically Mienshao never dies. Love that Pokemon.

-Sand Rush doubles a Pokemon's Speed in a sandstorm. I hate it because of how overused it made Excadrill, though. D:

-Magic Bounce is one I can't wait to use when I finally get my Espeon. Basically bounces back nearly all status moves, INSTANTLY. Switch into Thunder Wave, it bounces back. Easy to use, and it's simply evil. Love it.

-Speaking of dirty and sneaky, Prankster just speaks for itself on this. All non-damaging moves will always move first. If that's not sneaky, I don't know what is.

I'll add moves later, but I'd like to see some of your guys' opinions on this. And some abilities/moves of your own that you love, or love to hate.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

RX-78-2

I'd hate to see this thread sink without replies.

In any case, I've noticed the new moves too. One thing that's bugged me though is the increasing trend of new moves that only one specific Pokémon can learn. It's okay for legendaries I guess, but it's kind of getting out of hand. I mean, I don't really mind, it's just that a couple of these moves could probably work for other Pokémon too. I can't give examples atm, but if anyone asks, I'll look them up.
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

Kayo

Quote from: RX-78-2 on June 29, 2011, 12:34:19 AM
I'd hate to see this thread sink without replies.

In any case, I've noticed the new moves too. One thing that's bugged me though is the increasing trend of new moves that only one specific Pokémon can learn. It's okay for legendaries I guess, but it's kind of getting out of hand. I mean, I don't really mind, it's just that a couple of these moves could probably work for other Pokémon too. I can't give examples atm, but if anyone asks, I'll look them up.
I have to ask. We've ALWAYS had "signature moves" so why should Gen V be any different? Thing is, they are becoming rarer. Gust used to be Pidgey's signature move, even. New Pokémon are learning signature moves of existing Pokémon, so it seems that the only signature moves that remain are those of Gen V Pokémon, simply because GameFreak hasn't found anything else to learn them yet.

And you must provide examples because I don't even see your point.

And no it's not "out of hand". In Gen I, which you all love so much, had probably more signature moves than any other generation. Actually, that's a "definitely". Every other Pokemon had one, it seemed. So you have no argument with the "out of hand" thing.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

RX-78-2

Whoa, no need to get uppity about it. And don't assume that I love Gen I so much, because I don't. Gen I is probably my least favorite, and I haven't even finished a Gen II or V game.

Well, first of all, how could you even attempt to respond to my post if you--as you said--didn't even understand it? That doesn't make sense.

In any case, an example is Throh's move Storm Throw. I must admit, maybe I didn't notice the apparent trend in Gen I (but to be fair, Butterfree could learn Gust as well, although it was in Yellow--still Gen I though), but my point is that it should've stopped somewhere along the line. Like I said before though, it's not a big deal, just a little disappointing.

And I'm not trying to make an argument in my first post, but I can rebut you if you like.

You say that I have no "argument" with the "out of hand" thing, but the fact is that there are four other generations besides Gen I, so what you said doesn't make sense. After all, the signature moves are apparently becoming rarer--as you said--, which is what I prefer. I just thought that it was getting out of hand because they seem to be bringing them back in too many cases in just one generation (i.e. Gen V).

One good thing is that most of the moves that I thought were signature can be learned by previous generation Pokémon. I just wasn't looking at previous generations since I was using a guidebook. That sorts that out.

Let's not turn this into something that it's not, eh Kayo? You're a pretty cool guy. Wouldn't want this getting ugly.

Kayo

Quote from: RX-78-2 on June 30, 2011, 01:06:43 AM
Whoa, no need to get uppity about it. And don't assume that I love Gen I so much, because I don't. Gen I is probably my least favorite, and I haven't even finished a Gen II or V game.

Well, first of all, how could you even attempt to respond to my post if you--as you said--didn't even understand it? That doesn't make sense.

In any case, an example is Throh's move Storm Throw. I must admit, maybe I didn't notice the apparent trend in Gen I (but to be fair, Butterfree could learn Gust as well, although it was in Yellow--still Gen I though), but my point is that it should've stopped somewhere along the line. Like I said before though, it's not a big deal, just a little disappointing.

And I'm not trying to make an argument in my first post, but I can rebut you if you like.
Gust was an odd example. But I have many more. Twineedle, Featherdance, Hyper Fang, Super Fang, Glare, Petal Dance, Spore, even NIGHT SHADE, COUNTER, and WATERFALL were signature moves in Generation I. And Hitmonlee had what, FOUR signature moves? Yeah, Jump Kick and Hi Jump Kick and what have you.

QuoteYou say that I have no "argument" with the "out of hand" thing, but the fact is that there are four other generations besides Gen I, so what you said doesn't make sense. After all, the signature moves are apparently becoming rarer--as you said--, which is what I prefer. I just thought that it was getting out of hand because they seem to be bringing them back in too many cases in just one generation (i.e. Gen V).
Well, they kind of need to keep adding new ones. If there's a Gen VI, it might give the Gen V signature moves to new Pokemon. Actually, it probably will. It's just that with so many new moves, they can't give all of them to old Pokemon too. They make moves that fit the Pokemon. (Think the Bone moves with Cubone and Marowak).

QuoteOne good thing is that most of the moves that I thought were signature can be learned by previous generation Pokémon. I just wasn't looking at previous generations since I was using a guidebook. That sorts that out.
Alright well think about that next time.

QuoteLet's not turn this into something that it's not, eh Kayo? You're a pretty cool guy. Wouldn't want this getting ugly.
...Who said it would get ugly? I'm not even mad, lol.
[move][/move]

Rayquarian

I abuse Prankster on my team.  Also, some old abilities, like Chlorphyll, work like a charm on pokemon like Venusaur.

Kayo

Love Prankster. Unfortunately I haven't been able to build a team around it just yet. Partially because I haven't thought to. There are so many possibilities.
[move][/move]

RX-78-2

Quote from: Kayo on June 30, 2011, 09:29:19 AM
Gust was an odd example. But I have many more. Twineedle, Featherdance, Hyper Fang, Super Fang, Glare, Petal Dance, Spore, even NIGHT SHADE, COUNTER, and WATERFALL were signature moves in Generation I. And Hitmonlee had what, FOUR signature moves? Yeah, Jump Kick and Hi Jump Kick and what have you.
Well, they kind of need to keep adding new ones. If there's a Gen VI, it might give the Gen V signature moves to new Pokemon. Actually, it probably will. It's just that with so many new moves, they can't give all of them to old Pokemon too. They make moves that fit the Pokemon. (Think the Bone moves with Cubone and Marowak).
Alright well think about that next time.
As for Gen I signature moves, I suppose the reasoning for those was since it was only Gen I--and that was it. It's understandable there, seeing as there are merely 150 Pokémon. Besides, most of those can easily be seen as working for other Pokémon. That's why the moves stopped being signature moves and were able to be taught to newer Pokémon in subsequent generations. The only reason I say that it should've stopped down the line is so that this "problem" wouldn't have to be addressed again by waiting for a new generation of Pokémon to come out just so that the moves could also be taught to them and therefore not be signature anymore.

I'm mostly talking about Gen V, which introduced moves like Electro Web, which can only be learned by two Pokémon, Joltik and its evolution. The only other two Pokémon that can learn it are Spinarak and its evolution through breeding. This is the kind of specific move that I'm talking about. I mean, how many electricity-related spider Pokémon can there be? The move would only be relevant to them. Spinarak and Ariados are the two (technically one, because of evolution) exceptions since they're pretty much the only other spider Pokémon.

Quote...Who said it would get ugly? I'm not even mad, lol.
Good to hear. But with those caps in your most recent post, things started looking shaky. We'll be fine though. ;0

DededeCloneChris

Soak is a very good to mess up people's strategies.

Kayo

Quote from: RX-78-2 on July 01, 2011, 02:15:07 AM
As for Gen I signature moves, I suppose the reasoning for those was since it was only Gen I--and that was it. It's understandable there, seeing as there are merely 150 Pokémon. Besides, most of those can easily be seen as working for other Pokémon. That's why the moves stopped being signature moves and were able to be taught to newer Pokémon in subsequent generations. The only reason I say that it should've stopped down the line is so that this "problem" wouldn't have to be addressed again by waiting for a new generation of Pokémon to come out just so that the moves could also be taught to them and therefore not be signature anymore.

I'm mostly talking about Gen V, which introduced moves like Electro Web, which can only be learned by two Pokémon, Joltik and its evolution. The only other two Pokémon that can learn it are Spinarak and its evolution through breeding. This is the kind of specific move that I'm talking about. I mean, how many electricity-related spider Pokémon can there be? The move would only be relevant to them. Spinarak and Ariados are the two (technically one, because of evolution) exceptions since they're pretty much the only other spider Pokémon.
Good to hear. But with those caps in your most recent post, things started looking shaky. We'll be fine though. ;0
Well with Joltik and Galvantula... Well, think of Electro Web. It's basically an electric Bug move. There is only one Electric/Bug type.

One way to look at signature moves is the same way we looked at a lot of moves and Pokemon in Gen I: niches.
For example, Gengar was the only Ghost pokemon in Gen I. Parasect was the only Pokemon who could use Spore. Marowak had the Bone moves going for it. it's basically a question of "Why use this other than something else?"

Think back to Gen I. Golem and Rhydon were two Rock/Ground types. But Rhydon's stats were better. So why use Golem? (Or Graveler if you're like me and couldn't trade) Well, I remember. The Geodude family learned more Rock and Ground moves, and at earlier levels. So even if they had lower stats, they had the useful moves to get the job done. They weren't signature moves, but I have a point here. Some Pokemon might be built to have incredibly high stats but generic moves, with that being their specialty. However, some have lower stats but better moves, which is THEIR specialty. It balances the game out, so people don't only use Pokemon with the best stats. If only ONE Pokemon can learn a certain move, and it's a GOOD one, that's the reason you'd use it.

It's balance.
[move][/move]

RX-78-2

I see what you're saying with the Gen I stuff, but I don't really see how it's relevant since I'm not really talking about Gen I. I'm pretty much letting it slide since it was the first generation--and that was it.

But yes, Electro Web is a Bug- and Electric-Type-related move (and spider-related move) with there only being two Bug-Electric-Types and two other spider-like Pokémon. But what I'm saying is that it shouldn't be like that. I just think that the move should be tailored to be used by a couple more Pokémon. Electro Web isn't so bad since there are two sets of Pokémon that can learn it, but allow me to give a better example.

Again, Throh's Storm Throw is relevant to my point. Of course, it relates to your point about balancing Pokémon, but with all of the ubers and whatnot out now, I don't think the developers have been doing much balancing as of late, though some of the new moves help I guess.

Anyway, Storm Throw is probably the closest to perfect example I can give. Only one Pokémon can learn it--Throh. Last I checked, no other could learn it by any means whatsoever. However, I don't think that Storm Throw should be such an exclusive move, as I could see many other Fighting-Type Pokémon using this move. (Admittedly, I haven't seen this move in action yet, but I don't think that that matters much; it's a Fighting-Type throw move after all). Machoke and Machamp wouldn't seem out of place using Storm Throw, and yet the move is restricted to only one Pokémon. All I'm saying is that that shouldn't be.

Tahrann

Quote from: RX-78-2 on July 01, 2011, 10:48:59 PM
Anyway, Storm Throw is probably the closest to perfect example I can give. Only one Pokémon can learn it--Throh. Last I checked, no other could learn it by any means whatsoever. However, I don't think that Storm Throw should be such an exclusive move, as I could see many other Fighting-Type Pokémon using this move. (Admittedly, I haven't seen this move in action yet, but I don't think that that matters much; it's a Fighting-Type throw move after all). Machoke and Machamp wouldn't seem out of place using Storm Throw, and yet the move is restricted to only one Pokémon. All I'm saying is that that shouldn't be.

H4x. Just sayin.
Puts the lotion on the skin or it gets the hose again!

Kayo

[move][/move]

FruitFlow

Quote from: RX-78-2 on July 01, 2011, 10:48:59 PM
no other could learn it by any means whatsoever.

*coughsketch/transformcough*
"Many people see technology as the problem behind the so-called digital divide. Others see it as the solution. Technology is neither. It must operate in conjunction with business, economic, political and social system."

Kayo

ITT we chew apart an innocent miswording.
[move][/move]