News:

Our thoughts go to Silver and his family in this difficult time.

Main Menu

Let's Play: Audiosurf.

Started by Riosan, January 14, 2008, 05:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riosan

Yes, Audiosurf. The rhythm-music game that you can use your music to play a Guitar Hero-like highway that matches your music.

First, download the .exe right here.

If you try to play it (install it first), it will say that the beta is over, and you cannot play. The trick is to not play on it's server; we will play instead on a private server made by some guy on SomethingAwful. It's got a ton of people on it, it's where the game is being played.

2. To get on the private server, go to your C:/Windows > System32 > Drivers > etc folder. No, I'm not going to tell you to delete it. Find the file (vista's search comes in handy here) called "hosts". Go into the file with notepad or any other basic text editor, and add this line to the very bottom:

127.0.0.1 www.audio-surf.com

Game should work then.

screenshot yay

Screenshot of the game in action. The point is to hit the blocks, and enter them into a column. If you line up 3 of the same color blocks, the row/column is cleared, and you can continue. If the grid fills up, the grid explodes and on medium-high difficulty, you have to wait a few seconds for you to respawn.

You can play 11 different characters, on 3 different levels of difficulty, and each character has their own special ability.

IMPORTANT!

The Audiosurf people somehow took down the private server made by SomethingAwful (the one we've been playing on). Many people in many places are trying to fix this as we speak. Just be patient, people will find a solution.

Before trying either of the below methods, go into your hosts file and remove "72.167.39.116 www.audio-surf.com" from it, assuming you put that in there earlier.

Method 1, should work for most people:
QuoteThough the server is down, we can play offline.

Just reinstall Audiosurf, don't update it. Use this patch to play offline:

Patch.

Here are the instructions for that patch:

Instructions.

This may not work if you don't already have a login name and password.

Method 2, should work for most people:
QuoteIf that one doesn't work, try this one, as it's still better than not being able to play.

First, make sure you have the audiosurfboard program, which was included in one of the .rars earlier.

Second, make sure you have the Fiddler program, which was included in the other .rar.

If there isn't already a file in the Fiddler .rar named so, create a .txt file, name it runner_response.txt. Copy this into it:

QuoteHTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 15:46:40 GMT
Server: Apache
X-Powered-By: PHP/4.4.7
Vary: *
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Content-Type: text/html

goodtogo

Install and start up Fiddler.

Switch to the 'AutoResponder' tab.

Check 'Enable automatic response' and make sure 'Permit passthrough for
unmatched requests' is checked too.

Click 'Add...'.

At the bottom of the window, under 'Rule Editor', edit the left hand box to
read: www.audio-surf.com/as/game_runnerweekend1.php

Click the dropdown arrow on the right hand box and browse to the
runner_response.txt file included in this setup package.

Click 'Save'.

Now set up audiosurfboard. What this does is makes your computer mimic the server, so I imagine that it will let you register and login. Though these will only be for your computer, on the fake server. I honestly don't really understand how this really works.

If you still get an error, I really can't help you.

Also, Burnin' by Daft Punk is amazing fun.
[21:51]   <Smashin>   No one likes a sad fat kid.
[21:51]   Mystic has left #nsider (Leaving.)

Pokesamrus

Is this one of the GH ripoffs that uses your keyboard as a guitar?

I like Phase, where my iPod is a guitar and I can add any song in existence to it.

oh, and lol scottsdale, arizona.

Riosan

Quote from: Pokesamrus on January 14, 2008, 05:57:29 PM
Is this one of the GH ripoffs that uses your keyboard as a guitar?

Uh, no. You can use the arrow keys and the mouse to move your person across the highway.

JMV

hai so many grammatical errors.

Also, thanks for the new download.  I downloaded one from a link on 4chan but the file was corrupted when I tried to run it under Darwine.
Boyah Forums | Join Boyah

JMV

Boyah Forums | Join Boyah

Riosan

Quote from: JMV290 on January 14, 2008, 06:21:05 PM
Is it safe to update?

Don't update, period.

If you do, you won't be able to play on the private server.

buttlord420

I tried editing it using notepad in the server file but when i add 72.167.39.116 www.audio-surf.com
It says make sure the file name and path are correct  :(

Zovistograt

I'll totally download that sometime.

*bookmark*
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Custom

Quote from: Silverhawk35 on January 14, 2008, 07:48:31 PM
I tried editing it using notepad in the server file but when i add 72.167.39.116 www.audio-surf.com
It says make sure the file name and path are correct  :(

I did eveyrthing you said, i've tried a ton of things with the "private server" or whatever, but it keeps saying i'm playing the beta (or something like that) and it isn't letting me play the game..  D:
I wanna play the F-zero guitar hero game thing.

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

Silverhawk79

I played it a bit last night. It's fun, even if I have no idea how to play. :)
It's like "WHEEEE COLORS!"

Riosan

If you tried to play earlier today, you may have gotten an error when starting up.

Guide in first post.

Silverhawk79

Downloading on other computer right now.
I'ma see how long tracks can be.

buttlord420