Main Menu

The flaw in Wind Waker.

Started by Allegretto, March 13, 2008, 08:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syncopathic

Quote from: Allegretto on March 20, 2008, 02:27:17 PM
Quote from: Chain Chompesque on March 20, 2008, 01:55:30 PM
Quote from: Silly_Penguin on March 15, 2008, 12:34:35 PM
I myself absolutely loved wind waker. For me it will always be in it's own special place, mainly because it was the first 3D Zelda game i had played. I loved the graphics of it, and i can't really see how any other type of graphics would of fit with it's gameplay and story.

Really, this is all I'd say if I wrote up my own post. I loved the cel-shaded style. If I want a "Serious" Zelda (Of course, there's always the silent protagonist which stomps on any kind of plot development) I'll play Twilight Princess.
Still in all fairness I believe Orcarina of Time is the best. Mainly because Ganon is the main Villian in the series and that was the first 3-d Zelda game where you actually fought him.
Ocarina of Time is not the best 3D zelda game, sure it's the first 3D zelda game you fight ganon, that's all. Windwaker and Majora's Mask Surpassed OoT. Windwaker with it's graphics and characters, not to mention Ganon actually had character. Majora's mask and it's darker story,and harder dungeons.

Allegretto

Well you know all peronal opinions, there will always be people that like Majora's mask and windwaker more. I just have a love for Orcarina of Time, alot of history there.

Legend of zelda is still my favorite series and I love all the games tho  ;)

Flying Chickens

Alright. Stop arguing about Zelda games.
Wind Waker was fantastic, so was Ocarina.
Keep on topic, it's fine to say why you liked or disliked Waker, but don't argue over opinions. Arguing over the internet is like entering the special olympics; even if you win, you're still a retard.
Or I'm locking it.

Friendly Hostile

To the OP:

You basically are saying WW was bad because it wasn't OOT.

Allegretto

Quote from: Orgizirtee on March 20, 2008, 07:30:53 PM
Alright. Stop arguing about Zelda games.
Wind Waker was fantastic, so was Ocarina.
Keep on topic, it's fine to say why you liked or disliked Waker, but don't argue over opinions. Arguing over the internet is like entering the special olympics; even if you win, you're still a retard.
Or I'm locking it.
Alright

and No that is not what I am saying, I was posting my dislikes about That particular legend of Zelda game (Wind waker) I still think its fantastic, I just have personal dislikes about it. Orcarina of Time doesent have any flaws to me.

I dont dislike Wind Waker because its not Orcarina of Time.

TheTrueLegend

I'd have to say the crucial flaw in The Wind Waker was the omission of more dungeons and the addition of the lame Triforce quest.  Not only was it annoying, it made the Triforce look like a glorified bunch of puzzle pieces.  I understand we have to find the pieces before, but you find them in chests literally at the bottom of the sea.  The original Zelda had the limitations of being a NES game.  This was GCN, I think they could have done a better job of keeping the Triforce's dignity.  Then again Twilight Princess played both it and the Master Sword like a generic Zelda gimmick.  At least there was more to the MS in TWW.

As for the graphics, to be honest, they're not childish.  Cell shading doesn't mean cartoon, it means simplicity in shading.  What people reacted to was the way the characters/enemies were DESIGNED, namely with big heads and tiny feet, something not all that contrary to Zelda both before and after TWW.  It only struck home this time because the main characters like Link, Zelda and Ganondorf weren't spared and given the idealized treatment.  Seriously, look at the size ratios to some of the enemies/characters in both OoT and TP.  Big heads, small feet.

Personally, I think TWW was a stronger Zelda than TP.  TP was just a fusion of everything we associate with Zelda without much else.  What was new was left to develop, rather nicely I might add at times, only to be blindsided by some generic Zelda plot or to be ignored all together.  The Twili?  Zant?  Don't worry, we have GANONDORF!  Why, he's EVIL!  Huzzah.  The Wind Waker gave a spirit to the King of Evil, a twisted sense of duty to his people that we can relate with but at the same time are struck uneasy by the lengths he will go to claim his goal.

Sure, The Wind Waker did place fans at a VERY awkward jump in history, namely AFTER the fall of Hyrule, the land we've been saving, some of us anyway, for decades.  Sure it did somewhat little to explain this fate and later on the creators filled in the blanks by my opinion the worst way possible, press conference, but the game didn't seem to push aside it's innovations and world to fit a Zelda stereotype as much as newer games have.  I'm still tired of the tired Zelda formula of emerald, ruby, whatever, Master Sword, Pendant, Mirror, etc, Ganondorf, but this game did more to meld that into it's story and make it work.  Twilight Princess played it out like a game and we all know Zelda isn't a game, it's a legend.  It's just as much about the experience as it is about the gameplay.  I'm beginning to think Nintendo has lost sight of that.

THEEVILSPERKY

TheTrueLegend wins.  The Wind Waker was very well done and I completely agree with your post.

They're all great games, regardless, but despite what's off about WW, it's still my favorite 3D Zelda game.  I really got into OoT, MM, and TP.. slightly.. but I felt more attached to WW than the others because of everything it was.  I'm more inclined to replay that title than any of the others.

As for 2D.. LttP and OoA/S.  I can't really compare the 3D to 2D but this thread was originally just about WW. >_>
NES, SNES, N64, GCN (Jet Black), PQ (JPN), Wii, GBP (Clear), GBC (Green x2), GBASP (x2 Cobalt, x1 NES), DSLite (Black), SG3, SDC (x1 BIG, x1 Clear black top, solid grey/beige bottom), PS (x2), PS2 (Slim, Silver), PS3 (NTSC 60GB upgraded to 500GB), PSP 2000 (Silver, 4GB), XBox360 Elite

Kaz

Quote from: Allegretto on March 21, 2008, 03:55:02 PM
Orcarina of Time doesent have any flaws

Quote<+Mithos> My mom grounded me for being gay.

Ultrasuperstarenator

Quote from: TheTrueLegend on March 23, 2008, 04:55:39 PM
I'd have to say the crucial flaw in The Wind Waker was the omission of more dungeons and the addition of the lame Triforce quest.  Not only was it annoying, it made the Triforce look like a glorified bunch of puzzle pieces.  I understand we have to find the pieces before, but you find them in chests literally at the bottom of the sea.  The original Zelda had the limitations of being a NES game.  This was GCN, I think they could have done a better job of keeping the Triforce's dignity.  Then again Twilight Princess played both it and the Master Sword like a generic Zelda gimmick.  At least there was more to the MS in TWW.Uh, sorry, but that doesn't really make sense. The master sword was a "gimmick" in WW, too. I mean, you got it for the exact same REASON as OoT. why isn't it okay in TP where it serves a different purpose?

As for the graphics, to be honest, they're not childish.  Cell shading doesn't mean cartoon, it means simplicity in shading.  What people reacted to was the way the characters/enemies were DESIGNED, namely with big heads and tiny feet, something not all that contrary to Zelda both before and after TWW.  It only struck home this time because the main characters like Link, Zelda and Ganondorf weren't spared and given the idealized treatment.  Seriously, look at the size ratios to some of the enemies/characters in both OoT and TP.  Big heads, small feet. Um, so what does this have to do with anything? People other than Link, Zelda, and Aryll were HIDIOUS in WW.

Personally, I think TWW was a stronger Zelda than TP.  TP was just a fusion of everything we associate with Zelda without much else.  What was new was left to develop, rather nicely I might add at times, only to be blindsided by some generic Zelda plot or to be ignored all together.  The Twili?  Zant?  Don't worry, we have GANONDORF!  Why, he's EVIL!  Huzzah.  The Wind Waker gave a spirit to the King of Evil, a twisted sense of duty to his people that we can relate with but at the same time are struck uneasy by the lengths he will go to claim his goal. If they were already established, why flog a dead horse? You'd rather run into them again instead of Zant or Mida, who were better than either Zelda or Ganondorf?

Sure, The Wind Waker did place fans at a VERY awkward jump in history, namely AFTER the fall of Hyrule, the land we've been saving, some of us anyway, for decades.  Sure it did somewhat little to explain this fate and later on the creators filled in the blanks by my opinion the worst way possible, press conference, but the game didn't seem to push aside it's innovations and world to fit a Zelda stereotype as much as newer games have.  I'm still tired of the tired Zelda formula of emerald, ruby, whatever, Master Sword, Pendant, Mirror, etc, Ganondorf, but this game did more to meld that into it's story and make it work.  Twilight Princess played it out like a game and we all know Zelda isn't a game, it's a legend.  It's just as much about the experience as it is about the gameplay.  I'm beginning to think Nintendo has lost sight of that.

TP was still better than WW. WW's story was just OoT all over again. You weren't suprised at all. That, and TP didn't repeat itself in act three with nothing new(unlike two other games I know . . .).

Allegretto

Quote from: Kazooie-Banjo on March 23, 2008, 11:35:20 PM
Quote from: Allegretto on March 21, 2008, 03:55:02 PM
Orcarina of Time doesent have any flaws

I liked NAVI!!

Anyway Wind waker is still a great game and a game i play over and over again iv beat it well over 20 times =| I just dont liike how its so water based and the new graphic design. Still a great game