News:

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

Main Menu

New Pokémon Stuff Ideas

Started by JrDude, December 30, 2009, 04:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kayo

Quote from: JrDude ½ on January 18, 2010, 12:42:09 AM
Surf is a complicated move, I always thought Snorelax could surf because he floats due to his roundness, and round things usually look like they can float, but that's just my kid analogy that past on to my current one.
And as I was saying, surf is complicated, it's basically just swimming, but then shouldn't just about any Pokémon be able to do it? But yeah, to surf, basically the Pokémon just needs to be able to swim, or look like it can float, and then you'll be able to ride on it, regardless of it's size.
And now Ice types + Swim. Ice type isn't the same as water type, it's ice, most ice Pokémon don't look like they can swim, except the ones that are part water, and why don't they look like they can swim? Because they're not supposed to.
Why Rhyhorn/Rhydon can learn Surf is beyond me, I didn't even know they could, I can't even think of a stupid reason of why. And Articuno doesn't look like a swimmer to me.

Now on the other topic, I think water can control ice moves, because it just needs to get colder to use them, they aren't weak against the coldness of ice, but ice can't use most water moves because, they control ice, and if they lowered the temperature to use the water, then it would also lower their temperature and make them melt/weak, because lower temperature basically means heat which is usually dealt with fire and ice is weak against fire.

I'm not sure how much sense that made, but I tried.
I think what you're trying to say is, Ice has no way to safely melt large amounts of water, like in a Surf, because it would need heat to do that, which would be dangerous to the Pokémon the way that Fire would.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Friendly Hostile

Snorlax can learn Surf because essentially nothing but fat, and fat floats.

Triforce_Luigi

Why would Ice-types be able to Surf? Most of them don't look particularly seaworthy (though I suppose some of the water-types don't either). I could sort of see Suicune, Articuno, and some others swimming or crossing water somehow, but some of them just don't look like they should be able to swim at all.

I don't think they should completely do away with HMs (unless they plan to make the game fully 3D, but I doubt that), but they should at least make them less retarded. Did we really need Defog and Rock Climb? Especially since most Pokémon have some ability that would ostensibly allow them to scale a wall without learning it from a machine.

Keep the gyms, I think. The goal (generally) is to become Champion, so unless they plan on doing away with that and going for a better story (which I wouldn't mind), gyms are probably staying. Still, perhaps they could make those gym leaders a little more challenging? Maybe have their levels be scaled to yours, so that no matter how much you level grind, they'll still pose a threat to Pokémon without a type advantage. I still like the idea of putting the next game in a dystopia. It would be more interesting than collecting all the badges at any rate.

Incidentally, can we make it so that being the Champion actually sticks? For example, in FireRed/Leafgreen, your Rival is still the Champion after you beat him. You have to fight him every time you beat the Elite Four. It'd be kind of nice to see that being Champion has perks. Like money. Or something.

The idea of having other people traveling with you sounds nice. Permanent double-battles partner. Maybe let a second player control them or something. Also, maybe give you the option to interact with those people? Build up friendships. Eh. It'd probably be too complex.

Triple-types sounds like a stupid idea. It would make the game far more complicated than it needs to be, and would probably push up some already-powerful Pokémon into uber status. I guess making the third type only affect STAB might work, though. Making dual-type attacks sounds like a bad idea. If, for example, Blaze Kick was given two types (Fire and Fighting), would Fire/Fighting types get twice the STAB? If you used Blaze Kick on a Steel-type, would it be twice as super-effective?

JrDude

Something I want most is more than 1 save file, at least 2, maybe more, because I like to start over, but I'd like to have a file that has the good Pokémon. I imagine it doesn't do this because then it seems you could more easily cheat, but you'd still have to have someone with another copy of the game to do it, so it basically isn't much worse.

Also, on the multiple people idea, it may be able to work, maybe it can be like NSMBWii, except different. Maybe when you DS Download play, it adds another person that someone else controls, and they can go into your PC to train other Pokémon of yours, but never Pokémon they had (unless traded into the game). You can either go on separate routes, or travel together, though Pokémon caught always goes into the original person's PC. If you're in the same screen, when 1 person starts a double battle, the other person joins in too. If you don't feel like following on your own, just both stop, and on the second person's start screen, they have a "Auto Follow" option, and then the person replaces the Pokémon following him/her, and no Pokémon follows person2.
In double battles with a partner, Only 3 Pokémon can be used each, once your 3rd comes out, you won't be able to switch to a 4th.
This is where 2 save files would be very useful, because it would be hard to travel with someone with only one save file, because in order to go on without overleveling, then you'd need another file, or train 2 parties.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Kayo

Quote from: Triforce_Luigi on January 18, 2010, 07:28:10 PM
Why would Ice-types be able to Surf? Most of them don't look particularly seaworthy (though I suppose some of the water-types don't either). I could sort of see Suicune, Articuno, and some others swimming or crossing water somehow, but some of them just don't look like they should be able to swim at all.

I don't think they should completely do away with HMs (unless they plan to make the game fully 3D, but I doubt that), but they should at least make them less retarded. Did we really need Defog and Rock Climb? Especially since most Pokémon have some ability that would ostensibly allow them to scale a wall without learning it from a machine.

Defog: When a flying pokemon needs an HM to flap its wings.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Mystic

Quote from: K on January 19, 2010, 04:07:17 AM
Defog: When a flying pokemon needs an HM to flap its wings.
I just realize how bullpoop Defog is.

Thirdkoopa

Quote from: Zero on January 10, 2010, 04:09:06 PM
Intelligent Systems and Camelot
Thanks for reminding me about them.

Yeah, now they need to get those working on the plot.

As for other suggestions: Not sure If this has been done, but have it so your trainer can wear equipment. Stuff like "More/Less Pokemon will come out of the wild" Or "Holds a slightly better resistance to Water Types" Dunno, could add more to gameplay.

And have the trainer more of a memorable figure. I know the game's more about the Pokemon, but my god. He's just such a...Stale and boring character in I dunno, every game?

[21:11] <mackormoses> let's take a look at today's stats
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> stats today are high
[21:11] <mackormoses> holy intercourse ing poop
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> you adding all these standards
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> is really pushing us [/quote]
Quote from: JrDude φ on May 31, 2010, 08:32:13 PM
3 of my friends smoke weed. Why? Well I asked one time, and this is what they said: "Because I can blow out smoke and it makes me feel like a intercourse ing dragon"

RX-78-2

Quote from: K on January 17, 2010, 07:23:19 AM
Rhydon and Nidoking can learn Surf. That has always puzzled me, how they can do it, since they are both very weak to water. You would think that a Rhydon swimming in the stuff that OHKOs it would be bad for him, but it's not. I have never used Surf on a Rhydon, due to its Sp. Atk being to low, but that goes into competitive battling. My point is, it seems much more likely that an Ice type would be able to Surf rather than a Rock-Ground type. Or a Normal or Fighting type, because there's also Linoone, Snorlax, and Hariyama, and probably others.

However, take a look at Regice. Look at its shape. I don't think that thing would be able to Surf (although, isn't ice supposed to float on water?) but then look at Starmie. Similar shape here, with the points, etc. But Starmie is so lightweight I guess it can do it better than heavy ol' Regice. Also, Glalie and Florlass look like they're not meant to be in the water. BUT, If Vaporeon can Surf, shouldn't Glaceon? But then the defense of that s the fact that Vaporeon is built like a fish. Fins, etc. Come to think of it, nearly all water-types are built like fishes, even the land-bound ones like Swampert.

So, back to this. Why can Snorlax Surf? I wouldn't think this sleeping behemoth would be capable of swimming distances carrying somebody. But GameFereak obvoiusly doesn't care about the safety of the player riding the Surfer, since it's possible to ride a Remoraid.

So anyway, that's just about it for the Ice-types. But look. Articuno. I think if any Ice-type can surf, it'd be Articuno. Although, It most certainly isn't built like an aquatic...thing, I could imagine it gliding across water. Suicune can, and I just realized, it doesn't look "fishy" at all. What does it do? Walk on water? Maybe, but it would have to be running. It can't stop and say on the water, but.. it can Surf. Somehow.

Back to my original point, I would like to bring Suicune here. It learns a decent array of Ice-type attacks, Aurora Beam, and others. It's not much, but if one Water-type got an Ice-type as a half-type, it would be Suicune. Just look at it. I think that thing looks pretty icy to me.

That's all i got on this. Discuss.
I totally agree. GameFreak has done some weird things with moves and their potential learners. Rhydon (and even Rhyperior) and Nidoking are very strange choices for Surf. I do like the fact that they can learn it though; it's unique, but not really backed up with any reason. None of them should be able to learn it unless somehow their Special Attack was really high, which it's not. As for Regice, Glalie, Froslass, and other Ice-Types, if they can swim, then they should be able to learn Surf and if they can control water, then they should be able to learn Surf. Personally, I don't think that any of these specific ones should be able to learn it (except for maybe Regice, if the developers want to pull the legendary card). I think that that should go for any Pokémon. Concerning Snorlax, I haven't a clue, but I don't think it should be able to learn it.

Vaporeon is a great choice for Surf, but I don't know about Glaceon. It doesn't seem like it swims much, so; no.

Going back to the "legendary card," that would be the reason why Articuno could learn Surf, but otherwise, I just don't see it. On the other hand, I've always thought that Suicune should be a Water-Ice-Type. It already glides over the water and/or floats and stuff in the movies, so that's good reason for it being able to learn Surf (besides it being a Water-Type legendary), even if it were a Water-Ice-Type. And yes, Suicune looks very icy to me as well.
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

Kayo

Quote from: TerribleFrog 39 on January 19, 2010, 07:43:32 PM
I totally agree. GameFreak has done some weird things with moves and their potential learners. Rhydon (and even Rhyperior) and Nidoking are very strange choices for Surf. I do like the fact that they can learn it though; it's unique, but not really backed up with any reason. None of them should be able to learn it unless somehow their Special Attack was really high, which it's not. As for Regice, Glalie, Froslass, and other Ice-Types, if they can swim, then they should be able to learn Surf and if they can control water, then they should be able to learn Surf. Personally, I don't think that any of these specific ones should be able to learn it (except for maybe Regice, if the developers want to pull the legendary card). I think that that should go for any Pokémon. Concerning Snorlax, I haven't a clue, but I don't think it should be able to learn it.

Vaporeon is a great choice for Surf, but I don't know about Glaceon. It doesn't seem like it swims much, so; no.

Going back to the "legendary card," that would be the reason why Articuno could learn Surf, but otherwise, I just don't see it. On the other hand, I've always thought that Suicune should be a Water-Ice-Type. It already glides over the water and/or floats and stuff in the movies, so that's good reason for it being able to learn Surf (besides it being a Water-Type legendary), even if it were a Water-Ice-Type. And yes, Suicune looks very icy to me as well.
I always thought Suicune was part Ice-type. Partially because it uses Aurora Beam when you encounter it, but also just because of its looks. Also, I think it's required for all water-types to be able to Surf. Because, every one can except for Magikarp.
[move][/move]

RX-78-2

Quote from: Friendly Hostile on January 18, 2010, 01:57:05 PM
Snorlax can learn Surf because essentially nothing but fat, and fat floats.
That makes sense, but I don't know if it could really swim. I'd love to see that though.

Quote from: Mystic on January 19, 2010, 06:24:54 AM
I just realize how bullpoop Defog is.
It's a sad truth. :| I think it should also lower the opponent's accuracy or do something worth teaching it for battling.

Kayo

Quote from: TerribleFrog 39 on January 20, 2010, 01:24:29 PM
That makes sense, but I don't know if it could really swim. I'd love to see that though.
It's a sad truth. :| I think it should also lower the opponent's accuracy or do something worth teaching it for battling.
It only lowers evasion, which fails due to evasion clause anyway...

It should be a good move, like Surf, that can be seen competitively.
[move][/move]

Gwen Khan

Quote from: Triforce_Luigi on January 18, 2010, 07:28:10 PM
Why would Ice-types be able to Surf? Most of them don't look particularly seaworthy

doesn't ice float?

RX-78-2

Quote from: K on January 20, 2010, 01:26:51 PM
It only lowers evasion, which fails due to evasion clause anyway...

It should be a good move, like Surf, that can be seen competitively.
Evasion clause? Sorry, but I don't do competition. I think I've heard of it, but please; refresh my memory. Oh, is that the thing that doesn't allow raising your own Evasion at all?

Anyway, Defog is decent in a story play-through party--in part because of the field move--but otherwise, it could be better.

Kayo

Quote from: TerribleFrog 39 on January 20, 2010, 02:20:27 PM
Evasion clause? Sorry, but I don't do competition. I think I've heard of it, but please; refresh my memory. Oh, is that the thing that doesn't allow raising your own Evasion at all?

Anyway, Defog is decent in a story play-through party--in part because of the field move--but otherwise, it could be better.
Evasion Clause - You are not allowed to use Double Team, Minimize, Mud-Slap, Sand-Attack, Flash, etc.

I hated defog in story mode. It only infuriated me when i had to teach something the useless move just to see the darn route. >_>
[move][/move]

The Riddler

Evasion clause sounds like the biggest load of poop ever.
Sleep/Freeze clause makes sense, but not allowed to use double-team? Lame.

Also, Gwen, Ice floats, but they're not made of ice. :3