News:

<+Clu> have you tried barbecuing the computer

Main Menu

The Golden Compass is going to suck (now with more olol told u so).

Started by Jono2, November 12, 2007, 05:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheAnonymusElmo

This movie is going to be great. The Church did a great job using their influential power and what not
"I will flip in the air, open my cheeks, and take a crap on you"-Kid at school

Light

Ok, so I saw an advanced screening of the movie (last Saturday), and even though they messed up a LOT of things, I still think it was an OK movie.

The changing of names didn't bother me much, and they don't refer to the alethiometer as a "golden compass" as much as you'd think after seeing the trailer. Maybe two or three times. The animation is a tad above par, and the acting by Dakota Blue Richard (Lyra) was amazing. I feel she did a good job.

Of course, there were also a few flaws. The bear fight between Iorek and Iofur/Ragnar is not NEARLY as bloody as it is in the book. Also, the first half of the movie is extremely rushed, and the movie ends about three chapters before the book ends. Not to mention the fact that they changed the order of when they go to Bolvangar and Svalbard.

All in all, though, I thought it was pretty decent. I might have to see it again, since I want to look in to it more.

P.S. The popcorn was good, too. :P
Holy crap all my sigs were always poop. Best leave this space alone.

Jono2

well, yeah, I've read & heard positive and negative reviews, and one of them was that the fight between iorek & iofur was great.  but I think that New Line Cinema needs to learn to stop editing the source material.  I don't care if they cut stuff out, but editing it is just infuriating.

Quote from: LinkXLR on January 30, 2008, 09:10:54 PM
Quote from: famy on January 30, 2008, 08:36:30 PM
is big willy unleashed a will smith game

...I'm not even gonna touch this one.

SteamID: Lazylen

Light

Quote from: Jono2 on December 07, 2007, 07:30:48 PM
well, yeah, I've read & heard positive and negative reviews, and one of them was that the fight between iorek & iofur was great. 
I didn't say the fight wasn't good: I actually thought it was well done. All I said was that it wasn't as bloody and violent.

[spoiler]You know how in the book, Iorek kills Iofur, and then rips his heart out and eats it? Well, in the movie, Iorek gets hurt, then knocks Ragnar's jaw clean off. I loved that part in the movie, though. ^_^[/spoiler]

^The above is for people who have read the book and do not care about what happens in the movie that much.^

Jono2

I know, I was just fortifying what you said. :P

all of the reviews said that the bear fight was good.

I just heard that as great a job as Dakota Blue did, even with this being her first film, ever, it didn't make up for the film being rushed.

Quote from: LinkXLR on January 30, 2008, 09:10:54 PM
Quote from: famy on January 30, 2008, 08:36:30 PM
is big willy unleashed a will smith game

...I'm not even gonna touch this one.

SteamID: Lazylen

Light

Quote from: Jono2 on December 07, 2007, 07:40:43 PM
I know, I was just fortifying what you said. :P

all of the reviews said that the bear fight was good.

I just heard that as great a job as Dakota Blue did, even with this being her first film, ever, it didn't make up for the film being rushed.
As aforementioned, Miss Richards did a great job, but with certain parts of the book being rushed and turned around, they kind of negate each other. Therefore, you are left with a good, nothing special, ordinary movie. I do think people should see it for themselves, however.