News:

UH SOMETHING BROKE HANG ON

Main Menu

NSFCD's Unova Log

Started by Nayrman, March 06, 2011, 06:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyMyl

Not EVERYTHING after gen 3 had bad designs. Just a large chunk of it.

For the sake of relevancy, my semi-metagame team:

Misaka (Lvl 43 Zebstrika)
Leer (Lvl 52 Simisear)
Oktavia (Lvl 55 Samurott)
Thardus (Lvl 50 Gigalith)
Slogra (Lvl 55 Haxorus)
Flaahgra (Lvl 50 Venusaur)

I feel like a nerd naming two guys after Metroid Prime bosses and another after a semi-obscure Castlevania boss/enemy.

Kayo

1st gen: Nostalgia factor dominates all, but some things are still just generic animals (Hi Krabby) but some solid awesome things you can't beat. Gotta love Starmie~
2nd gen: Things start getting a bit interesting, but there are still things I don't like (Sunflora is just ehh) but we got a bunch of cool additions (Crobat was cool, and Scizor, and Heracross, and Gligar, etc)
3rd gen: A bunch of these are cool, fitting with the more "Tropical" climate. Things definitely start getting interesting. Different from the classics, and that's why people hate them so much, sadly.
4th gen: What the intercourse  were they doing? Seriously, all gens have fillers in them, but this has more filler than actual good things. What good things? Okay, I liked Drifloon, and a few others. But definitely my least favorite gen.
5th gen: As far from classic as possible it seems. Many early-game things (Ew Watchog) are just blech, but there are some really unique things later. Like Scrafty, Chandelure, Oobemu, Hydreigon, etc. Again, people who liked the style of the first two gens wouldn't like these, but I'm open to trying new things. And I was fine with this.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Custom

Quote from: Kayo on March 17, 2011, 06:21:16 PM
1st gen: Nostalgia factor dominates all, but some things are still just generic animals (Hi Krabby) but some solid awesome things you can't beat. Gotta love Starmie~
2nd gen: Things start getting a bit interesting, but there are still things I don't like (Sunflora is just ehh) but we got a bunch of cool additions (Crobat was cool, and Scizor, and Heracross, and Gligar, etc)
3rd gen: A bunch of these are cool, fitting with the more "Tropical" climate. Things definitely start getting interesting. Different from the classics, and that's why people hate them so much, sadly.
4th gen: What the intercourse  were they doing? Seriously, all gens have fillers in them, but this has more filler than actual good things. What good things? Okay, I liked Drifloon, and a few others. But definitely my least favorite gen.
5th gen: As far from classic as possible it seems. Many early-game things (Ew Watchog) are just blech, but there are some really unique things later. Like Scrafty, Chandelure, Oobemu, Hydreigon, etc. Again, people who liked the style of the first two gens wouldn't like these, but I'm open to trying new things. And I was fine with this.

i agree 100%

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

FruitFlow

Quote from: Kayo on March 17, 2011, 06:21:16 PM
Have you also noticed how most of the pokemon this Gen resemble most of the past Gen pokemon?

Super Luvdisc
Afro Taurus
etc.
"Many people see technology as the problem behind the so-called digital divide. Others see it as the solution. Technology is neither. It must operate in conjunction with business, economic, political and social system."

Magnum

Quote from: Akemi on March 17, 2011, 06:18:58 PM
Not EVERYTHING after gen 3 had bad designs. Just a large chunk of it.

For the sake of relevancy, my semi-metagame team:

Misaka (Lvl 43 Zebstrika)
Leer (Lvl 52 Simisear)
Oktavia (Lvl 55 Samurott)
Thardus (Lvl 50 Gigalith)
Slogra (Lvl 55 Haxorus)
Flaahgra (Lvl 50 Venusaur)

I feel like a nerd naming two guys after Metroid Prime bosses and another after a semi-obscure Castlevania boss/enemy.
Ah, so that was based off the Castlevania enemy.

Oh Vesperia, never change... never change

Kayo

Quote from: FruitFlow on March 17, 2011, 07:05:00 PM
Have you also noticed how most of the pokemon this Gen resemble most of the past Gen pokemon?

Super Luvdisc
Afro Taurus
etc.
Some were supposed to. But with them cranking out 156 new pokemon, you have to expect some ideas to be re-used.

Gen I had 151.
Gen II had 100.
Gen III had 135.
Gen IV had 107.
Gen V had 156.

Gen V had the most, even surpassing Gen I. So they borrowed, or perhaps "resurrected" some old ideas from Generation I. You really can't blame them. I'd say there are way more good pokemon in V then IV. But again, no one liked IV. HG/SS was the only memorable thing about that generation, in my opinion. But I digress.

Yeah, 156 new pokemon without using any old ideas? And they weren't going to include old pokemon in the regional dex? Impossible, so obviously a few copies had to be made. Think of them as "replacements" for Geodude, Zubat, etc. Plus, type differences. The generic Rock-type doesn't get OHKO'd by a puny Water Gun anymore (not being Ground type as well, plus there's also the new Sturdy but that's besides the point) and the generic bat is a Psychic type. The generic Normal types in the beginning? Every generation has them. After Rattata, they added Sentret, Zigzagoon, Bidoof, and now Lillipup. I don't see why people hate Gen V so much for the negatives that are present in ALL generations. But that's just me.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Magnum

Quote from: Kayo on March 17, 2011, 07:21:00 PM
Some were supposed to. But with them cranking out 156 new pokemon, you have to expect some ideas to be re-used.

Gen I had 151.
Gen II had 100.
Gen III had 135.
Gen IV had 107.
Gen V had 156.

Gen V had the most, even surpassing Gen I. So they borrowed, or perhaps "resurrected" some old ideas from Generation I. You really can't blame them. I'd say there are way more good pokemon in V then IV. But again, no one liked IV. HG/SS was the only memorable thing about that generation, in my opinion. But I digress.

Yeah, 156 new pokemon without using any old ideas? And they weren't going to include old pokemon in the regional dex? Impossible, so obviously a few copies had to be made. Think of them as "replacements" for Geodude, Zubat, etc. Plus, type differences. The generic Rock-type doesn't get OHKO'd by a puny Water Gun anymore (not being Ground type as well, plus there's also the new Sturdy but that's besides the point) and the generic bat is a Psychic type. The generic Normal types in the beginning? Every generation has them. After Rattata, they added Sentret, Zigzagoon, Bidoof, and now Lillipup. I don't see why people hate Gen V so much for the negatives that are present in ALL generations. But that's just me.
Actually, I really like this gen. Even more than III. The names are completely crap, but they're much more memorable.

Kayo

Quote from: Magnum on March 17, 2011, 07:23:40 PM
Actually, I really like this gen. Even more than III. The names are completely crap, but they're much more memorable.
We're looking at Gen I's names through nostalgia glasses. If pokemon came out in this gen instead of the first, that were named things like Krabby, Slowpoke, Cloyster, Haunter, etc. a lot of people would hate them.

Except we grew up with them. Fuck, I knew about the pokemon Electrode before I even knew what a real electrode was. Oh, the memories of innocent youth...
[move][/move]

FruitFlow

Quote from: Kayo on March 17, 2011, 07:27:55 PM
We're looking at Gen I's names through nostalgia glasses. If pokemon came out in this gen instead of the first, that were named things like Krabby, Slowpoke, Cloyster, Haunter, etc. a lot of people would hate them.

Except we grew up with them. Fuck, I knew about the pokemon Electrode before I even knew what a real electrode was. Oh, the memories of innocent youth...
I guess Electrode's counterpart in appearance would be Amoongus.
"Many people see technology as the problem behind the so-called digital divide. Others see it as the solution. Technology is neither. It must operate in conjunction with business, economic, political and social system."

Magnum

Quote from: FruitFlow on March 17, 2011, 08:20:28 PM
I guess Electrode's counterpart in appearance would be Amoongus.
Point in case, these two names. Amoongus. Not catchy at all. If I was a kid, all I'd see was Gus like fungus and a moon, as in a moon. Then there is Electrode. Easy to remember and catchy, it rolls off the tongue.

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Magnum on March 17, 2011, 09:00:09 PM
Point in case, these two names. Amoongus. Not catchy at all. If I was a kid, all I'd see was Gus like fungus and a moon, as in a moon. Then there is Electrode. Easy to remember and catchy, it rolls off the tongue.
Bastard turned Game Corner into f****** Minesweeper. Amoongus is catchier.

Neerb

Foongus Amoongus is freaking brilliant.

FruitFlow

Quote from: Magnum on March 17, 2011, 09:00:09 PM
Foongus I understand, but Amoongus on the other hand sounds awkward.

Magnum

Quote from: FruitFlow on March 17, 2011, 10:01:36 PM
Foongus I understand, but Amoongus on the other hand sounds awkward.
I like Foongus.

NOT Amoongus.

FruitFlow

Quote from: Magnum on March 17, 2011, 10:23:14 PM
I like Foongus.

NOT Amoongus.
Yeah, but what's up with the "Amoon" part?
What was GF trying to base that part on?