News:

<+Ice> i have a dildo factory line run by old women in my garage

Main Menu

Toonami Gone!?!

Started by Chris8492, February 10, 2010, 04:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris8492

I haven't watched Cartoon Network for a couple years. I just recently found that Toonami, one of my favorite anime airings, went off the air in 2008 in early September. This was one of my favorite things to watch in my childhood.

For those of you who don't know what Toonami was, heres an example.

Nayrman

As you yourself said, this is WAY past old.

The crowning moment of sadness was Tom's voice actor, THE STEVE BLUM (Spike Spiegal from Cowboy Bebop among many other things), as his last word of dialogue as TOM in the final farewell, flies off and goes "bang..." basically having a giant shout out to the original fans of the series when it first started as a simple action block on saturday mornings. (the original fans back then had since grown up and watched Cowboy Bebop and Trigun on adult swim, obviously Spike's last line is "bang..." in Cowboy Bebop)

Magnum

I found out a day after. I cried a little on the inside.

But seriously, Toonami had turned to crap. It was good for it to go down now before it got too terrible.

Oh Vesperia, never change... never change

Red

Quote from: Nayrman on February 10, 2010, 04:46:39 PM
The crowning moment of sadness was Tom's voice actor, THE STEVE BLUM (Spike Spiegal from Cowboy Bebop among many other things), as his last word of dialogue as TOM in the final farewell, flies off and goes "bang..." basically having a giant shout out to the original fans of the series when it first started as a simple action block on saturday mornings. (the original fans back then had since grown up and watched Cowboy Bebop and Trigun on adult swim, obviously Spike's last line is "bang..." in Cowboy Bebop)
This made me cry on the inside. Really though, Toonami turned to poop at the end. but when it was at its peak, it was the poop.

Chris8492

2000-2004 were the best years of Toonami I got to say. Then at 2005 I stopped watching it because of that cartoon "Samurai Jack" Bored me to death.

Nayrman

Quote from: Razgriz2489 on February 10, 2010, 08:13:59 PM
2000-2004 were the best years of Toonami I got to say. Then at 2005 I stopped watching it because of that cartoon "Samurai Jack" Bored me to death.
Samurai Jack was one of the best shows that was created post millennium CN. X_X:;

Chris8492

Quote from: Nayrman on February 10, 2010, 08:16:39 PM
Samurai Jack was one of the best shows that was created post millennium CN. X_X:;

The show itself was ok, but then all these other ones came in like Code Lyoko. That just brought down my interest in Toonami. I wish they kept DBZ, Gundam, Sailor Moon, and all those other great animes on.

Nayrman

Quote from: Razgriz2489 on February 10, 2010, 08:21:36 PM
The show itself was ok, but then all these other ones came in like Code Lyoko. That just brought down my interest in Toonami. I wish they kept DBZ, Gundam, Sailor Moon, and all those other great animes on.

Code Lyoko, lol French animation that blows.
Dude, they ran DBZ for YEARS just replaying the same episodes over and over again. They didn't need it. Same goes for Sailor Moon. Just showed it too much before and needed new stuff. Gundam...is odd. If you would watch the first couple of series (especially Zeta Gundam) they're really complex, really depressing, quite violent etc. Not good for kids in the mid afternoon time slot. Only reason Gundam Wing got on there was because it was just tame enough. G Gundam is just a giant narmfest that I love so yea.

The reason Toonami failed was a combination of:
A) really, REALLY sucky dubs of shows like One Piece (4kids...ugh), Prince of Tennis, and Code Lyoko.
B) shows no one knew and that american kids wouldn't really get. I mean they ran Bo-bobo Bo-bobobo for god's sake. That show is only funny to extremely genre savy otakus who have a taste for randomness. Not to mention "ugh" shows like Zatch Bell that had no chance since they aren't that popular, even in Japan.
C) constantly changing line-up. Back in the day, we always knew what was on. The later years things were always changing as Williams Street (yes they made Toonami) didn't like anime and were always reactionary to the ratings. They never let anything really grow on the block and wound up reshowing DBZ for like the millionth time. Things like Rave Master and Gundam 83 were taken off the air way before any fanbase could actually be made.

Chris8492

Not just that, they changed the show host character at the end. I think that really ruined it for Toonami and sent it hurtling toward the dumpster.

My older brother got me into anime like DBZ and Gundam. DBZ was made in the 80's and he grew up with it. One of my favorites was Area 88. This was a big thing in my childhood because I grew up looking up to my brother as any other younger brother would. Still a shame that it was cancelled

Magnum

Quote from: Nayrman on February 10, 2010, 08:42:01 PM
Code Lyoko, lol French animation that blows.
Dude, they ran DBZ for YEARS just replaying the same episodes over and over again. They didn't need it. Same goes for Sailor Moon. Just showed it too much before and needed new stuff. Gundam...is odd. If you would watch the first couple of series (especially Zeta Gundam) they're really complex, really depressing, quite violent etc. Not good for kids in the mid afternoon time slot. Only reason Gundam Wing got on there was because it was just tame enough. G Gundam is just a giant narmfest that I love so yea.

The reason Toonami failed was a combination of:
A) really, REALLY sucky dubs of shows like One Piece (4kids...ugh), Prince of Tennis, and Code Lyoko.
B) shows no one knew and that american kids wouldn't really get. I mean they ran Bo-bobo Bo-bobobo for god's sake. That show is only funny to extremely genre savy otakus who have a taste for randomness. Not to mention "ugh" shows like Zatch Bell that had no chance since they aren't that popular, even in Japan.
C) constantly changing line-up. Back in the day, we always knew what was on. The later years things were always changing as Williams Street (yes they made Toonami) didn't like anime and were always reactionary to the ratings. They never let anything really grow on the block and wound up reshowing DBZ for like the millionth time. Things like Rave Master and Gundam 83 were taken off the air way before any fanbase could actually be made.
I really agree with all 3 of the reasons you listed. The big problem was consistency. With a show going for only a few weeks then getting pulled to a different time or off completely, you never knew what was coming on. At the end, Toonami only had a 2 hour slot. That doesn't work when that slot is filled with crap dubs of One Piece and Naruto. I still can't get into One Piece to this day because of how terrible the dub was.

BoBo X whatever was the most piece of poop garbage fest that someone had to pull out of their ass while they had diarrhea from smoking crack through their eyes. That show needs to die in the same hole as the E.T. game.

Oh Vesperia, never change... never change

The_MasterSword1

Well, look at it this way, I kinda noticed too alot of Adult Swims Anime went down hill too, they used to have all the great Anime, they kind of went down hill the same time Toonami did, cept then they got Blood +, Bleach, Trinity Blood, ect and revived them, but now look where they're at Not much for anime anymore either. Really in general, anime on CN is going all to hell in my opinion.

Zero

Bobobo was hilarious, just sayin'. If you took it seriously, you hated it. That's how it works for silly shows such as Bobobo-bo Bo-Bobo.

Blood + was terrible and Trinity Blood pulled an Inuyasha and NEVER finished.

Nayrman

Quote from: Zero on February 15, 2010, 12:06:44 PM
Bobobo was hilarious, just sayin'. If you took it seriously, you hated it. That's how it works for silly shows such as Bobobo-bo Bo-Bobo.

Blood + was terrible and Trinity Blood pulled an Inuyasha and NEVER finished.
Uh, Blood +, Trinity Blood, and Inuyasha were Adult Swim. Can't blame Toonami.
Blood + suffered through talking hell most of the time. the original movie is actually really good. Trinity Blood, never saw to be honest, didn't care.
Inuyasha suffered through filler hell since Rumiko Takahashi took her sweet ass time with the manga. Essentially, they pulled the original series in Japan because people really didn't care for the show since it was filler-iffic (too bad they couldn't do the same to Naruto). HOWEVER, the manga is done (after about 400 chapters of doing nothing but trying to kill Naraku), so there's an anime running right now called Inuyasha: Kanketsu-hen (the Final Act), which is wrapping the series up. Viz still owns the rights to it, so I expect a dub to at least surface at some point this year. Although I heard Richard Cox (Inuyasha's voice) went on to do other things, but I'd have to check up on that.

Silverhawk79

Quote from: Razgriz2489 on February 10, 2010, 08:13:59 PM
Same. I watched DBZ and Zoids religiously. And Outlaw Star.

Level_9_Chao

I never understood the storylines of any Gundam series, but Toonami helped me ALMOST understand G Gundam...

And it helped me explain what this animay thing was all about anyway. Elementary and middle school days were nothing without DBZ.
Become a Failbook fan: Victory Road :3

The Game Boy Pocket.
Put it in your back pocket.
Sit down and it breaks.