News:

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

Main Menu

People don't have the attention span to play good games

Started by Rayquarian, January 12, 2008, 10:40:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayquarian

All they do is button mash through all the text and end up asking "Where do I go now?"

Tupin

That's why I play point and clickers.

Most of the text is actually worth reading.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Syncopathic

if im actually into the game, i won't skip the text. Most of the time IDC.

Kaz

Are you trying to say hectic, simplistic shooter action = bad game?

You need to play more classic scrolling shooters (and maybe 1 or 2 new ones) if you think that way.
Quote<+Mithos> My mom grounded me for being gay.

ThePowerOfOne

I only do that with old games. Like Star Fox 64 and stuff. Because I really don't care.

Kaz

Christ, I yet again realized just now that I once again didn't read your post very clearly and thought you meant button mashing in general as opposed to involved, thoughtful gaming typical of RPGs and stuff.

So, here's my real post:

I don't skip through text in games unless I've already seen it enough times to not care anymore. Extra playthroughs and such.

Syncopathic

Quote from: Kazooie-Banjo on January 12, 2008, 10:58:20 PM
Christ, I yet again realized just now that I once again didn't read your post very clearly and thought you meant button mashing in general as opposed to involved, thoughtful gaming typical of RPGs and stuff.

So, here's my real post:

I don't skip through text in games unless I've already seen it enough times to not care anymore. Extra playthroughs and such.
wats up with you misreading things today kaz?

Flying Chickens

I read it. If something happens and I reset before the text, I button mash and skip it.

JrDude

I'm sorry you do that, but I don't unless I've read it before.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Kaz

Macawmoses

Eh....one of my friends loved MP3, until after he beat Ridley...

It proves your point...

Helios

Reminds me of those people that constantly call turn-based combat boring. It's an interesting system, you just need patience to fully enjoy. I've no problem with text in games. Hell, I prefer text over voice actors, myself. I enjoy reading greatly so a game having a lot of text doesn't annoy me.

You wanna know a game that people with short attention spans absolutely loathe?

Planescape: Torment. This game has so much readable text in it, over one million words I believe. There is more interaction and dialogue with NPCs than there is combat. It's a truly brilliant RPG, but you need the patience and love of reading and truly unique story line to fully enjoy it.