News:

<+Clu> Silverhawk79 is just wrong for me

Main Menu

Cover music.

Started by The Riddler, August 05, 2009, 09:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Riddler

Unless you're a intercourse ing retard, you know artists like to take other artists music and either restyle it or just replay it.
It's called a cover.
Alot of local bands are based entirely on the premise of covering other music; aka "Cover band".

Some do it right:
Reel Big Fish - Take On Me (restyling)
Gary Jules - Mad World(restyling)
Sum 41 - Killer Queen(replay)

Some do it wrong:
Fergie - Sweet Child O' Mine (Ironically she has Slash playing the song for her and he hates the song.
Panic at the Disco - Eleanor Rigby

SO.
HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT COVER MUSIC?

I like when a cover is restyled and sounds good, or if a band can play it exactly and sound almost identical, as seen in my three examples above. Other good examples I like are restylings: A Little Help from my Friends - Joe Cocker, and  It's the End of the World as We Know It - Suicide Machines.

Level_9_Chao

It's ok sometimes, but originals are almost always still the best, at least for me. A favorite band of mine, Four Year Strong, only has 2 original CDs out and their latest is completely covers. Which was still done alright, but it was really annoying as I'd have preferred to hear more of their own stuff.

Covers are cool in moderation. Usually, though, for me they just get in the way.
Become a Failbook fan: Victory Road :3

The Game Boy Pocket.
Put it in your back pocket.
Sit down and it breaks.

tibar21

cover music usually isn't that good. although Alkaline Trio did an amzing job with "Metro"
Super Smash Bros Brawl FC: 2622-1690-4267
Pokemon Soul Silver FC: 4855-9306-7114
Mario Kart Wii FC: 4898-5017-8746

Zovistograt

I don't listen to many covers, but I will say, I still love TMV's cover/restyling/whatever of "Birthday".  It's so cool.

But you know, it's different in the world of electronic music.  We've got remixes, which sometimes sound nothing like the original.
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Ron

I really like Cartel's cover of Wonderwall.
If you've heard the Punk Goes... albums, those all contain covers. What I like about them is that they don't try and just cover the song, they recreate it to match that particular band that's covering it's genre.

I'd recommend those.

I think covers are better left for amateurs though. Such as myself xD

http://youtube.com/Etcetera57

Click me ^

Kaz

You're not a real musician until you cover Bob Dylan. True fact.

That being said...

Good: Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower
Bad: Guns N' Roses - Knockin' on Heaven's Door

Let's take a moment to look at GNR covering other artists...

Bad: Guns N' Roses - Yesterdays (not the Beatles song)
Bad: Guns N' Roses - Live and Let Die
Bad: Guns N' Roses - Sympathy for the Devil

Well, whaddya know, GNR sucks.
Quote<+Mithos> My mom grounded me for being gay.

Captain Justice

Metallica - Whiskey in the Jar
Quote from: Talim on September 04, 2009, 05:26:53 PM
Yesterday, sort of. I was on the verge of crying. Why? I got into an argument with a couple other people from #nsider and it got me really upset. I didn't really cry much though
Quote from: Tsumaru on September 20, 2009, 11:29:22 AM
Can we ban Hoss, please?

Zovistograt

Quote from: Kaz on August 05, 2009, 09:38:59 PM
You're not a real musician until you cover Bob Dylan. True fact.
brb making Bob Dylan lolicore
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Mystic

The only cover I have heard (that I know of) that is better than the original is both versions of "Come Together" sung by Michael Jackson.

Otherwise, darn near every cover sucks ass. Though rare, there has been an occasional gem.

Red

Stanley Jordan's cover of Stairway to Heaven. It's godlike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjXN3OLgoqs

I prefer the original still, but this is a pretty darn close second. He also does Eleanor Rigby, but I can't find a good version.

Lotos

Metallica's Garage Inc had some pretty cool covers.  They put a nice spin on Astronomy.

The Seventh

Some do covers right (like Metallica's Garage Inc. Garage Days Revisited album.).
(my favorite song on that has to be So What because it's so profane, it's funny... btw.)

Some (like when Avril Luverne or whatever her name is) tried covering Fuel.  NO.  Good voice, notes right, but lacked the energy I like in that song.
meh

Matt

Charlie Chaplin's song "Smile" used in his movie Modern Times has been covered by many artists. Most notable being Nat King Cole and Michael Jackson.

"Please Mr. Postman" originally sung by The Marvelettes, was covered by The Beatles and The Carpenters, both versions being outstanding.

"Roll Over Beethoven" originally sung by Chuck Berry, was covered by The Beatles as well, whom in my opinion took the song to another level.

"Rock And Roll Music" another song originally sung by Chuck Berry, was covered by The Beatles and The Beach Boys, The Beatles' version takes the cake in my opinion compared to Chuck Berry's version, while The Beach Boys version isn't all that comparable to the other two due to entirely different sound to the song.

These are only a few songs that I know with awesome cover versions along with the original being just as awesome.