News:

Our thoughts go to Silver and his family in this difficult time.

Main Menu

So the internet ends in 2012

Started by えっちーせんぱい, June 01, 2008, 06:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zovistograt

Hm, methinks if this actually goes down, we'll see something from Anonymous.

Or we could make a second Internet, like a renegade Internet...V-net.  Yes.
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Rayquarian

Quote from: Blaziken on June 01, 2008, 06:32:48 PM
http://ipower.ning.com/netneutrality

I don't it, but all its saying is that Big name networks are going to take over the internet and make it so you have to pay for it.

What?

Tupin

There actually is a bill currently in both the US Congress and the Canadian House of Commons that would make Net Neutrality a nation-wide law.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Doodle

That is the one of the stupidest things ever! I like my freedom. :(
Well, 2012. I'll be out of school and have a job and stuff. I won't go to many places on the web anyway. :P
YEAH

X_Hero

I actually think that this might not be legal... Because of an act I learned about in US History (forgot the name of it...), it's actually illegal to have a monopoly, and as Jono said earlier, this kind of thing would basically be a monopolization of the entire internet, henceforth, illegal.

King_Gamer28

As far as I can see, the internet cannot be owned by any one person or company.

Think of it this way - if this were to ever happen, hypothetically, you know that there would be one company out there who would offer the entire internet for a lower price.

This will never happen, though, ever. The amount of rebellion that this would experience would be outrageous. Remember prohibition? That's basically what this would turn into. Sure, it's different in that accessing the internet wouldn't be illegal, but the uprising would probably be similar - they would think the money they'd earn would increase, when in reality this would quickly turn many people away, I'd think.

I guarantee you less than 3% of the people aside from those setting this up agree with it, as well. That's an estimation, but there's nothing good about this at all for any casual person who wants to complete things online.

This won't happen. Period. This is about as likely as every other thing we say is going to happen in 2012, if you all know what I mean.

えっちーせんぱい

Quote from: King_Gamer28 on June 02, 2008, 02:32:29 PM

Think of it this way - if this were to ever happen, hypothetically, you know that there would be one company out there who would offer the entire internet for a lower price.

This will never happen, though, ever. The amount of rebellion that this would experience would be outrageous. Remember prohibition? That's basically what this would turn into. Sure, it's different in that accessing the internet wouldn't be illegal, but the uprising would probably be similar - they would think the money they'd earn would increase, when in reality this would quickly turn many people away, I'd think.

I guarantee you less than 3% of the people aside from those setting this up agree with it, as well. That's an estimation, but there's nothing good about this at all for any casual person who wants to complete things online.

This won't happen. Period. This is about as likely as every other thing we say is going to happen in 2012, if you all know what I mean.
If it happens, technically, it is the end of the world.

Zovistograt

Quote from: X_Hero on June 02, 2008, 02:29:47 PM
I actually think that this might not be legal... Because of an act I learned about in US History (forgot the name of it...), it's actually illegal to have a monopoly, and as Jono said earlier, this kind of thing would basically be a monopolization of the entire internet, henceforth, illegal.
Sherman Anti-Trust Act?  Do you remember what they used that for?  To break up labor unions, olol

Although the Progressive presidents fixed that little bit of the Gilded Age up, it's possible that a conservative might screw it up again...

just sayin'
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Nayrman

Quote from: Zovistograt on June 02, 2008, 05:06:07 PM
Quote from: X_Hero on June 02, 2008, 02:29:47 PM
Sherman Anti-Trust Act?  Do you remember what they used that for?  To break up labor unions, olol

Although the Progressive presidents fixed that little bit of the Gilded Age up, it's possible that a conservative might screw it up again...

just sayin'
and the fact that as long as a competitor "exists" it doesn't matter if hte market share is 99% as long as they don't have 100%
I mean thats what Nintnedo did with Game Boy. They had 97% share of the handheld market but as long as idiots kept trying to take them down (Wonderswan handheld, Game Gear, etc.) and they didn't have 100% it didn't matter. All the company would have to do is create a "competitor" who didn't really compete and they're golden....

Lotos

Quote from: Tuppyluver1 on June 01, 2008, 09:05:42 PM
Quote from: Lotos on June 01, 2008, 09:04:54 PM
Quote from: Tuppyluver1 on June 01, 2008, 08:57:44 PM
Quote from: Lotos on June 01, 2008, 08:52:40 PM
Quote from: Triforceman22 on June 01, 2008, 08:45:13 PM
lol, 2012.

apparentley, all the poop hits the fan in that year. XD

I doubt it'll happen.
You can't own the internet....

You can own land.  I guess you can own the internet.  It's very intercourse ing greedy if you do own the entire thing though.
That defeats the purpose of the Internet.

It's like someone trying to buy a public library or a fire station.
Bush is trying to get the airways private last I heard.  How the intercourse  you do that, I'll never know.
You mean phone lines?

No, like the airways in which airplanes travel through.  My dad is an air traffic controller, and it's the only reason why I know that.

Quote from: Zovistograt on June 02, 2008, 01:58:17 PM
Hm, methinks if this actually goes down, we'll see something from Anonymous.

Or we could make a second Internet, like a renegade Internet...V-net.  Yes.

I was thinking about what would happen if this stuff got posted on /i/, ESPECIALLY about the one with no illegal materials.  They'd defend their CP to the deathv (especially Russia from the sites I've seen linked to O_o).

The Seventh

Quote from: DIMENTIO1 on June 01, 2008, 06:41:31 PM
i thought the internet couldnt be owned.
if the internet could be owned, then even earth could be owned...
The Earth is a whole different scale.

Anyone who tries to take over will have hundreds of armies in their way, including the most powerful ones that are part of the U.N., which'll NEVER happen, and if it does, so many people will be p***ed that it won't last long.

He speaks the truth.  It's be just like trying to own the Earth.  It'll never happen.
meh

Totla

I guarantee you less than 3% of the people aside from those setting this up agree with it, as well.
And those people pay for congressmens' campaigns.

Kilroy

So, yeah. This is basically impossible. I'd find the nearest Anonymous member and join the rebellion if this happened :3
1984 WAS SUPPOSED TO BE AN INSTRUCTION NOT MANUAL
"yes you are anusface, but i am better than!!" - taw, steam forums
 FOR NSF MASCOT