News:

<+Clu> have you tried barbecuing the computer

Main Menu

"Different" artists

Started by Metalbott, December 14, 2008, 12:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Metalbott

What I mean by "different" is artists that have created and made great songs based on their exclusive sound.

Examples...

Tool
Animal Collective
The Red Paintings
Modest Mouse
The Mars Volta
TV on the Radio

All pretty exceptional. Reason: I'm looking for good xmas gifts :P

Anyone?

Java

1. I saw you post this on NS2. D:
2. This will probably get moved to the Arts board.

I don't have any suggestions. :(
Vampire Weekend maybe? I don't know how unique their sound is, but I like it.

Zovistograt

Venetian Snares (he basically made breakcore, and his is so glitchy that there's no mistaking it, especially on that album with Szamar Madar and Hajnal and all those.)

Susumu Hirasawa (freaking odd stuff, makes anime OP and ED songs for mind trip thriller anime.  It's haunting and catchy at the same time.)

Sigur Rós (definitely marked meditative rock, if you can call it that...the lead guitarist uses a violin bow.)
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Fell

Sufjan Stevens and Damien Rice are pretty unique sounding to me. They have a very different sound than the other stuff I listen to.

Spongebob does not approve

tibar21

All these bands have recently made a new relaese and can write some good tunes.

Jimmy Eat World
Angels and Airwaves
The Offspring
Rise Against
Super Smash Bros Brawl FC: 2622-1690-4267
Pokemon Soul Silver FC: 4855-9306-7114
Mario Kart Wii FC: 4898-5017-8746

Kaz

Portishead's take on "the Bristol sound" aka "trip hop" is rather unique. They don't really quite sound like other trip-hop artists like Massive Attack or Tricky.

Also, I'll say Beck, because he has the astounding ability to still sound like himself and nobody else even though he's explored like every genre he could think of. Plus he kicks ass.

Quote from: Zovistograt on December 14, 2008, 03:21:43 PM
the lead guitarist uses a violin bow

Been done billions of times already. It's been a staple of guitarists showing off on stage ever since Jimmy Page decided to do it.

Quote<+Mithos> My mom grounded me for being gay.

Chloroform?

You should totally ask for some Yes. I'd say they're pretty unique.

Zovistograt

Quote from: Kaz on December 17, 2008, 09:34:04 AM

Been done billions of times already. It's been a staple of guitarists showing off on stage ever since Jimmy Page decided to do it.

shows how much rock I listen to :B
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Chloroform?

Oh also check out King Crimson, Eels, Afro Celt Sound System, Yo La Tengo, Beardfish, Spoon, Porcupine Tree, and I'm just going to say Yes again cause they're my favorite band. :P

Those are all fairly unique and awesome at the same time. They definitely don't try to be every band ever.

Metalbott

Quote from: Chloroform? on December 18, 2008, 11:43:34 AM
Oh also check out King Crimson, Eels, Afro Celt Sound System, Yo La Tengo, Beardfish, Spoon, Porcupine Tree, and I'm just going to say Yes again cause they're my favorite band. :P

Those are all fairly unique and awesome at the same time. They definitely don't try to be every band ever.

They are RUSH!!!

Ha, kidding. Yes are pretty awesome.

Jono2

Quote from: Kaz on December 17, 2008, 09:34:04 AM
Portishead's take on "the Bristol sound" aka "trip hop" is rather unique. They don't really quite sound like other trip-hop artists like Massive Attack or Tricky.

Also, I'll say Beck, because he has the astounding ability to still sound like himself and nobody else even though he's explored like every genre he could think of. Plus he kicks ass.

If I had anything to say about Portishead compared to Massive Attack (I love both (I don't listen to Tricky... at all), I would say that Portishead has it more down than Massive does.

But that could be my love for Dummy.  I didn't like Third.

The lisp also probably has something to do with it.

Quote from: LinkXLR on January 30, 2008, 09:10:54 PM
Quote from: famy on January 30, 2008, 08:36:30 PM
is big willy unleashed a will smith game

...I'm not even gonna touch this one.

SteamID: Lazylen

Zovistograt

Quote from: Jono2 on December 18, 2008, 09:54:24 PM
wait wait wait, am I thinking of the same Dummy that made an amazing rock song for the IOSYS album Touhou Suisui Suusuu?

Jono2

Quote from: Zovistograt on December 19, 2008, 11:41:49 AM
wait wait wait, am I thinking of the same Dummy that made an amazing rock song for the IOSYS album Touhou Suisui Suusuu?

what the ****

no

Portishead's Album, Dummy.

Quote from: LinkXLR on January 30, 2008, 09:10:54 PM
Quote from: famy on January 30, 2008, 08:36:30 PM
is big willy unleashed a will smith game

...I'm not even gonna touch this one.

SteamID: Lazylen

Level_9_Chao

Tomas Kalnoky, with Catch 22 and Streetlight Manifesto, pretty much redefined third wave ska, or at least made some of its greatest albums.

As if anyone cares about third wave ska. D=
Become a Failbook fan: Victory Road :3

The Game Boy Pocket.
Put it in your back pocket.
Sit down and it breaks.

Zovistograt

Quote from: Jono2 on December 19, 2008, 12:06:41 PM
Quote from: Zovistograt on December 19, 2008, 11:41:49 AM

what the ****

no

Portishead's Album, Dummy.
oh.  nevermind.

But that song I mentioned is an epic rock duet that has more merit than some American hard rock.