Started by WiiGuy, April 01, 2009, 05:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jnfs2014

FLASHLIGHT+C
FLASHLIGHT+C
FLASHLIGHT+C

WiiGuy

Chapter 3
So, I reached to my side and grabed my small Mag lite flash light, then I walked over to a hallway which led to the tunnel, while looking at all the doors that i was passing, looking for the tunnel entrance/exit. "Ah, there it is." I said when I saw two huge steel double doors with a radiation fallout shelter sign on both doors...walking up to them I reach out my hand and grab the door, and pull, very hard to open it up...'I guess this is a bomb shelter too', I thought to my self. After opening the door I walked down the stairs about eight or nine feet underground, then I was in a ten foot wide tunnel and as far a I could see, or it seemed with the slightly dim lighting, it went on forever...but thanks to the yellow and black signs I was able to make it to my destination on time.

So, I went to briefing room 4b, just as the General told me to. When I opend the door for the room I saw three chairs, and a desk, computer, projector and screen...."Good morning doug", turning, I see a older gentelman with his vest clean with only 1 badge, "I'm Steve Taylor, I will be briefing you, DJ and Peter on the mission", thank you steve.

Mission Briefing:
This is is the path we've out lined for this mission.
[spoiler=Path][/spoiler]
You will meet the ship at the circle.
Peter, you will be flying ahead of the ship, DJ, you will be flying above the ship, Doug, you will be flying behind.
Each of you will be flying f-22 raptors, you three will have team here watching satilte and radar, and your planes radar, just in case something fails or you miss something. The cargo ship is carrying supplys for an air craft carrier, which will be delivered after the cargo gets to hawaii. Once the ship makes it to hawaii, you will re-fuel then wait to fly home.

Once you make in to the panama canal, you will move into the triangle formation, with the ship in the center, we have officers at the canal to make sure no one searches the ship and everything goes as smooth as we can......Any questions?
____________________________________________________________________________________

A. Ask question.

Please keep the story going by asking a question, 8 questions [or more] or 1 week, which ever comes first, I will continue.
Two questions per person, please make sure that they have something to do with the mission ;)

jnfs2014

What kind of missiles are we using, Captain?

What kind of resistance will we face?

WiiGuy

What kind of missiles will we be using Captain?

Here are your Missile/bombs that you will be using;
Doug:
2 AIM-9M
6 AIM-120

[spoiler=AIM-9M]
The F-22's short-range missile armament is the AIM-9M Sidewinder.

As the AIM-9 uses infrared guidance, the missile first has to acquire the target. To launch a Sidewinder from the F-22, the side weapons bay doors open; the Trapeze Launcher, with missile attached, extends to put the missile's seeker into the slipstream; the seeker acquires the target; the missile ignites and flies off the rail. The Trapeze Launcher then retracts, and the weapons bay doors close. Once launched, the F-22 pilot can leave the fight, as Sidewinder is autonomous, following its seeker to the target, after it leaves the launch rail. The entire Sidewinder launch sequence, from door opening to door closing, takes just seconds.

The AIM-9M is currently the only operational Air Force variant. This model has all-aspect (any direction) intercept capability. It also has improved defenses against infrared countermeasures, enhanced background discrimination capability, and a reduced-smoke rocket motor. These upgrades increase the missile's ability to locate and lock-on a target and decrease the missile's chances for detection.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Aim-120]
The F-22's primary weapon is the AIM-120 Advanced Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missile (AMRAAM). This missile is a replacement for the AIM-7 Sparrow, which was developed in the 1950s, and was still in front-line service into the early 1990s. The AIM-120 was developed to provide an all-weather, all-launch environment capability for the F-22

The AIM-120 (which has no official nickname, but is called "Slammer" by pilots) is carried internally in the F-22's main weapons bay that is located on the underside of the fighter tucked under the inlets. The main bay is covered by two thermoset composite bifold doors that open outward. When the F-22 is in first-day-of-a-war combat configuration, all missiles are carried in the main weapons bay only. The typical combat load is six AIM-120C. Three in each side of the main weapons bay with the center missile staggered ahead of the inboard and outboard missiles

The missile gets target information from the aircraft prior to launch via a Military Standard (Mil Std) 1760 data bus. Once launched, the missile can operate independent of the launch aircraft, as it has its own inertial guidance system and an active radar, allowing the F-22 pilot to launch the missile and leave the area, thus avoiding a close-in dogfight. However, if necessary, the missile can also receive mid-course target updates from the launch aircraft. The entire launch sequence (door opening, AVEL ejecting the missile, missile ignition and flyout, door closing) takes just seconds. The combination of the aircraft's stealth characteristics, its integrated avionics, and the AIM-120 missile gives the F-22 a "first-look, first-shot, first-kill" capability.
[/spoiler]

Peter:
2 AIM-9M
2 AIM-120
2 1,000-LB JDAM

[spoiler=1,000 lb JDAM]
JDAM is a tail guidance kit that converts existing unguided free-fall bombs into near precision-guided "smart" munitions. It also includes strap-on strakes that attach to the bomb's body for stability. Adding a new tail section containing an Inertial Navigation System (INS)/Global Positioning System (GPS) guidance control unit to existing inventories of Mk. 83 1,000-pound-class general purpose conventional bombs gives the F-22 a highly accurate, autonomous, high altitude all-weather conventional bombing capability. Currently, the JDAM tail guidance kit gives existing "iron bombs" a circular error probable (CEP, the measure of weapons accuracy) of under 15 meters, but a planned improvement program will give the weapon a CEP of considerably less than 10 meters.

The F-22 can carry the 1,000-pound class JDAM weapon. For the F-22, the JDAM tail guidance kit fits on the Mk. 83 1,000-pound-class conventional bomb. Weight of the Mk. 83 bomb and tail guidance kit is approximately 1,015 pounds The combination of the stealthy F-22 and the precision capability of the GBU-32 allows the F-22 pilot to drop the weapon from altitudes of approximately 40,000 feet to a range of approximately 15 miles.

The GBU-32 is only carried in the F-22's main weapons bay. A typical combat load consists of two GBU-32. One GBU-32 is carried inboard in each side of the main weapons bay. When loaded with GBU-32, there is still sufficient room in the F-22's main weapons bay to carry two AIM-120C air-to-air missiles (one in each side of the bay, in addition to the two AIM-9 Sidewinders in the side weapons bays), which means that even on a mission to attack ground targets, the F-22 retains significant air-to-air combat capability.

The GBU-32 gets target information from the aircraft prior to release via a Miltary Standard (Mil Std) 1760 data bus. JDAM can be dropped by an aircraft from up to 15 miles from the target. In addition to its own inertial guidance system, the weapon receives in-flight position updates from the 24-satellite GPS satellite constellation which help guide the bomb to the target. The GPS constellation provides 24-hour navigation information to military and civilian users. The GBU-32's autonomous operation allows the carrying aircraft to release the weapon and leave the area, thus avoiding an enemy's integrated air defense (surface-to-air missiles, antiaircraft artillery ("triple A"), and radars) system, but still delivering the weapon to the target.[/spoiler]

DJ:
8 250-LB SDB
2 AIM-9M
2 AIM-120

[spoiler=250-LB SDB]
The F-22A has the capability to carry a variety of conventional and Long Range Stand-Off Weapons (LRSOW) for air-to-ground ordnance delivery. When performing air-to-ground missions, the F-22A can internally carry two Global Positioning System-aided 250-pound GBU-39/B Small Diameter Bomb in place of two AIM-120s and two AIM-9 missiles. The Small Diameter Bomb (SDB) (Guided Bomb Unit [GBU]-39/B) is designed to provide the F-22A with multiple targeting capabilities.

Weighing in at 250 pounds and a diameter of only six inches, the advantage of the GBU-39 is the amount that can be loaded into an F-22. It increases the target capabilities of the F-22 by 400 percent. Instead of two JDAMs, it will carry eight SDBs internally.

The Air Combat Command commander declared initial operational capability for the Guided Bomb Unit-39/B Small Diameter Bomb 02 October 2006 and the weapon made its combat debut just three days later. Boeing, the GBU-39B manufacturer, describes the bomb as "the next generation of low-cost and low-collateral damage precision strike weapons for ... employment from fighters, bombers and unmanned aerial vehicles." The F-15E Strike Eagle was initially the only aircraft equipped to carry the SDB.

Its small size enables aircraft to carry more weapons, allowing commanders "to service more targets on a single pass." Its mounting carriage, the BRU-61/A, fits four bombs on one weapon pylon. It is also a versatile weapon. The SDB range is more than 50 nautical miles when launched at 40,000 feet at Mach .95. This enables an aircraft to launch SDBs to multiple targets, while beyond the range of many anti-aircraft systems. Additionally, it is an all-weather weapon, effective day or night and can be fired at targets in front of, to the sides, and behind the employing aircraft. It is effective on stationary targets within 1.2 meters. Typical targets include hardened aircraft bunkers, early-warning radar, stationary SCUD missile launchers, stationary artillery and more.
[/spoiler]