Change is coming. HOPE CHANGE UNITY

Main Menu

Contoversy at my School

Started by CoasterKid93, April 05, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kayo

Quote from: Z on April 07, 2013, 07:13:38 PM
<3

There are more Catholics in the world than there are Protestants. They also have the Pope and the whole child molestation crap to deal with. So yeah, they get way more attention. I don't think the Catholics are anywhere near deserving of being compared to the Westboro crowd, though.
I didn't say they were, I meany more along the lines of the WBC giving them a bad name. I mean, let's face it, they kind of made Christians everywhere look bad.

But what people don't get is, it's a church of about 40 members (most of which are just a single extended family) in a remote town in the middle of Kansas. They would be nothing if the media (and everyone else) didn't keep giving them attention. Now we have a good chunk of the population thinking that what they say makes even the slightest difference, but really the little church has less members than any given Elementary School.

Yeah, it gets the most attention, I mean, it's really the only major religion with a single universal leader, to my knowledge. But I was honestly shocked at how little the new Pope thing was even covered in the media. I mean yeah, pretty much every station said something about it, but it didn't really "explode" as much as I thought it would. It doesn't seem like people care all that much.

Though a lot of crap did arise about Benedict XVI supposedly resigning because of a child sex scandal, but people really just need to find a new way to get their laughs other than pulling a "religious official = child molester" card all because of what, how many of those folks actually did something to that effect?
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Zero

I get what you mean.

And for a group of around 40 people, you have to admit that they do some pretty intercourse ed up poop. That's why the media is all over it. It's intercourse ed up.

Kayo

Quote from: Z on April 09, 2013, 05:31:48 PM
I get what you mean.

And for a group of around 40 people, you have to admit that they do some pretty intercourse ed up poop. That's why the media is all over it. It's intercourse ed up.
Or it could just, in all seriousness, be one of the greatest real-life trolling incidents ever. While that as you see it is doubtful, they obviously know what kind of media attention they get by doing what they do. They know that every new funeral they protest or whatever will give them media attention. Maybe all they see in that is a chance to use the media to "spread their message," but the one thing that we know for sure is that A) They're not actively hurting anyone, and B) giving them attention is only making them stronger.

Like, okay, so what they do is intercourse ed up. The thing is, who cares? It's not like anything they say will have any effect on laws passed and what not, and constantly giving them media attention is the equivalent of feeding an internet troll.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Zero

Not everyone is as passive as you are, man. I get you, but obviously people care if they're this infamous.

CoasterKid93

Quote from: Kayo on April 09, 2013, 07:26:17 PM
It's not like anything they say will have any effect on laws passed and what not, and constantly giving them media attention is the equivalent of feeding an internet troll.

Actually, the main members of the Westboro Baptist Church are extremely accomplished lawyers, and have represented themselves on a number of Supreme Court cases. While they may not directly create laws, they definitely have an impact on the institution that does.
Quote from: whatwewishfor on March 14, 2014, 09:35:19 AM
DINAH I EAT DINAH EVERY NIGHT LAST NIGHT I HAD PIZZA HAHAHAHAH

Kayo

Quote from: CoasterKid93 on April 10, 2013, 08:18:37 AM
Actually, the main members of the Westboro Baptist Church are extremely accomplished lawyers, and have represented themselves on a number of Supreme Court cases. While they may not directly create laws, they definitely have an impact on the institution that does.
Yeah, but how much credit does the law really give them in such cases? I mean, if they defend a point really well, then they defend it well. And if they have a good defense for whatever they're presenting, then so be it. It shouldn't matter whether or not they're part of the WBC at that point; what matters is their argument and only that. Even though you or I may not agree one bit with anything they say, you have to credit their side of a debate if it's backed up well.

That being said, "GOD HATES FAGS" is not an acceptable defense, ever.
[move][/move]

CoasterKid93

Quote from: Kayo on April 10, 2013, 02:05:49 PM
Yeah, but how much credit does the law really give them in such cases? I mean, if they defend a point really well, then they defend it well. And if they have a good defense for whatever they're presenting, then so be it. It shouldn't matter whether or not they're part of the WBC at that point; what matters is their argument and only that. Even though you or I may not agree one bit with anything they say, you have to credit their side of a debate if it's backed up well.

That being said, "GOD HATES FAGS" is not an acceptable defense, ever.

Well, yeah. I wasn't saying that any of that didn't matter. I was just pointing out the fact that they have an impact on policy. For example, the 2011 Supreme Court case Snyder v. Phelps: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/02/westboro-baptist-church-w_n_830209.html

Kayo

Quote from: CoasterKid93 on April 10, 2013, 03:42:29 PM
Well, yeah. I wasn't saying that any of that didn't matter. I was just pointing out the fact that they have an impact on policy. For example, the 2011 Supreme Court case Snyder v. Phelps: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/02/westboro-baptist-church-w_n_830209.html

To be fair, as intercourse ing obnoxious as they were, it doesn't look they were in violation of any laws. It's a huge freedom of expression deal: the same stuff that makes burning bibles in public legal. Like picketing a soldier's funeral, just because it's legal doesn't mean it's an okay thing to do. It doesn't mean you're protected from millions of people in the country and beyond hating you. But you're still ultimately allowed to do it. Is it intercourse ed up? You bet your ass it is. The good news is, nearly everyone who reads that story will agree that the WBC acted obnoxiously. But there's no law against being a colossal vagina cleaning device.

What I meant originally, though, is that their radical opinions on social matters won't really have an effect on the governments' rulings on such matters. For example, their "God Hates Fags" campaign isn't worsening the chances of legalized same-sex marriage in the WBC's home state of Kansas one bit (How good or bad those changes already are is another story), because it's not like state lawmakers are looking at these campaigns and thinking "You know, these Westboro guys have a point, maybe X isn't such a good idea after all."

[move][/move]

CoasterKid93

Quote from: Kayo on April 10, 2013, 06:03:49 PM
What I meant originally, though, is that their radical opinions on social matters won't really have an effect on the governments' rulings on such matters.

I know lol

Kayo

Quote from: CoasterKid93 on April 10, 2013, 06:39:35 PM
I know lol
Well, when you brought up the article and said they had an "impact on policy" I wasn't sure we were quite on the same page.
[move][/move]

CoasterKid93

Quote from: Kayo on April 10, 2013, 07:10:43 PM
Well, when you brought up the article and said they had an "impact on policy" I wasn't sure we were quite on the same page.

An "impact on policy" in that the arguments they brought before the Supreme Court secured their ability to continue doing what they're doing.

Kayo

Quote from: CoasterKid93 on April 10, 2013, 08:00:37 PM
An "impact on policy" in that the arguments they brought before the Supreme Court secured their ability to continue doing what they're doing.
Well yeah, because as it stands what they're doing falls under free speech, so that was pretty much to be expected.
[move][/move]

Viewtifulboy

Not every Christian organization is anti-gay.  Just the loud ones.

Custom

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on August 08, 2013, 08:50:34 AM
Not every Christian organization is anti-gay.  Just the loud ones.
whoa
this is surprisingly forward thinking from you

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

CoasterKid93