News:

<+Ice> i have a dildo factory line run by old women in my garage

Main Menu

Has anyone played Age of Empires II: The Conquerors Expansion?

Started by RX-78-2, August 26, 2009, 08:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RX-78-2

This game is so good that I still play it from time to time, considering that I messed up my Age of Empires III game on my school laptop. I played it so much while I was under the age of 15, and sometimes still get back into it for a couple of days. I take pride in my ability to (usually) beat a Moderate level computer opponent (the difficulties are Very Easy, Easy, Standard, Moderate, Hard, Hardest) which shows that I'm better than average by an AI's standards. My favorite races to play as and the ones that I'm best as are probably (not in any order): the Teutons, Huns, Mongols, Saracens, Franks, Aztec, Mayans, and Byzantines.

Have any of you guys played it? Do you still own it? I also still have the original Age of Empires II (the non-expansion). Maybe we could play together and/or discuss tactics? I haven't played it online or anything, so I can't judge my skills against human players.
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

Friendly Hostile

I have it and play it every now and then.  But I mostly play to build massive cities and obliterate the computer.

RX-78-2

Quote from: Friendly Hostile on August 27, 2009, 01:05:20 PM
I have it and play it every now and then.  But I mostly play to build massive cities and obliterate the computer.
Yeah, same here, but what difficulty do you play on? What about races?

Personally, I like to recreate historical battles. I'll play as the Mongols, face the Chinese, and invade China etc. Another great one is to play in Japan with three other computers. Everyone is Japanese and everyone is a rival clan. It's very fun. I also try to do that stuff in the map making thing.

By the way, do you know if it's possible to do co-op against computers online? I've never tried it.

Friendly Hostile

Usually I just throw it on Easy and Islands or Archipelago.  As for races, it just play them at random.  I do like the Byzantine style though, and will occasionally use them.

RX-78-2

Quote from: Friendly Hostile on August 27, 2009, 09:39:05 PM
Usually I just throw it on Easy and Islands or Archipelago.  As for races, it just play them at random.  I do like the Byzantine style though, and will occasionally use them.
Ah, try Standard difficulty, though. It's really the same, except you have to endure one or two attacks attacks during the Feudal and/or Castle Age, and your opponent will defend their city better. An army of about 15 or 20 should defend well against the first wave. Then try 30.  Other than that, they don't attack very much, and even if they do, it'll be with at most 30 units. A stone wall with a castle or a few towers should repel them.

And the Byzantines are great. I just wish that their Elite Cataphracts (spelling?) were as strong as Paladins. They're one of the few units good against infantry though.

I think I'll play the game as soon as I log out. I'll tell you about it, if it's anything worth sharing.

And in case this thread is just us, thanks for sharing :). I just felt like talking about a classic RTS.

RX-78-2

No... I can't play it anymore :(! At least until I find another computer :-\. My computer doesn't read any discs. I put it in and the AoEII:TCE window doesn't come up so I had to bring it up manually with the Programs menu from the Start button. Then a window pops up saying to insert the appropriate CD even though it's already in there.

The only explanation I can give is my my recent use of a CD-RW (rewritable CD). I put it in and it asked me if I wanted to format it (the disc or the "D:" Drive, I don't remember). Is it even possible to format a disc drive? I think I formatted the disc (not the drive) though, as I figured nothing would happen as it was blank. But after that, the drive didn't recognize any discs. I didn't want to make a thread about this just yet. Any help would be appreciated.

So_So_Man

I still play it from time to time.  in co-op, ive managed to take out a civ on hardest.  Against difficulties below hardest, making walls pretty much inside their base works very well (unless you are facing 2 cpus.  Then you are screwed).  I play as Britons and have fun outranging everything but teutonic castles, trebuchet, and cannons.

RX-78-2

Quote from: So_So_Man on August 29, 2009, 10:09:08 AM
I still play it from time to time.  in co-op, ive managed to take out a civ on hardest.  Against difficulties below hardest, making walls pretty much inside their base works very well (unless you are facing 2 cpus.  Then you are screwed).  I play as Britons and have fun outranging everything but teutonic castles, trebuchet, and cannons.

You can play on Hardest? That's impressive. How do you advance the ages so quickly and survive the attacks? I'll have to try it out.

And do you mean trapping your opponent in walls? That works extremely well. I've tried that, but it's a bit difficult to pull off.

Also, you'd think the Britons would have the Thumb Ring upgrade/research. That would help immensely with the Longbowmen. I also like out-ranging things with them, but I prefer 40 fully upgraded Mongol Elite Heavy Cavalry ;D. It kills every other unit, plus they're mobile.

So_So_Man

yeah, my dad and i managed to take out a hardest by giving it an easy way in, making it difficult (archers and a bit of wall) then making a wonder.  it was brits vs koreans, so that might have helped as well.  as for aging fast enough, building up to 20 villagers before leveling seems to work.  To help the walls around my enemy base, I usually guard the villagers with the scout or make a barracks/archery range nearby first (offensive walling only works well for cpus up to hard, after hard you need to defensively wall)

RX-78-2

Quote from: So_So_Man on September 04, 2009, 05:06:07 PM
yeah, my dad and i managed to take out a hardest by giving it an easy way in, making it difficult (archers and a bit of wall) then making a wonder.  it was brits vs koreans, so that might have helped as well.  as for aging fast enough, building up to 20 villagers before leveling seems to work.  To help the walls around my enemy base, I usually guard the villagers with the scout or make a barracks/archery range nearby first (offensive walling only works well for cpus up to hard, after hard you need to defensively wall)
Oh, thanks. What do you mean by an "easy way in"? Like one straightforward way in, but heavily fortify it? Thanks again.

So_So_Man

a way in where if they wanted to, they could walk through.  except they are busy getting hit by arrows and cavalry charges.  usually an artificial choke point, but trees work better.

RX-78-2

Quote from: So_So_Man on September 04, 2009, 09:46:14 PM
a way in where if they wanted to, they could walk through.  except they are busy getting hit by arrows and cavalry charges.  usually an artificial choke point, but trees work better.
Oh, why didn't I think of that? I was just missing (or "not" missing) the wall. I guess I'm so used to completely walling my base. Thanks.