News:

<+Clu> im 100% nigga

Main Menu

I'm torrenting the Japanese Ponyo subbed

Started by Lotos, October 05, 2009, 08:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lotos

Will the MPAA still rape me up the ass if they see that it's the Japanese one?

Light

Eh, if you're torrenting it, I don't see what the problem is. Also, moved because it's a movie. Movie discussion goes here.
Holy crap all my sigs were always poop. Best leave this space alone.

Lotos

Quote from: Big Brother on October 05, 2009, 08:16:46 PM
Eh, if you're torrenting it, I don't see what the problem is. Also, moved because it's a movie. Movie discussion goes here.

It was released here in the US in theaters.

Nayrman

the MPAA really doesn't even know torrenting exists. Hell, why do you think they suckered in site like Youtube and Hulu to show movies when you can get better quality stuff torrenting for free.

Oh, and just torrented the third Bleach Movie. It's...shockingly good.

Doodle

...it was released in America.
Why download a subbed version of the Japanese release?
YEAH

Nayrman

Quote from: Doodle on October 06, 2009, 04:25:12 PM
...it was released in America.
Why download a subbed version of the Japanese release?
because Disney dubbed it and with the exception of Spirited Away Disney has always tended to have mediocre dubs.

Basically it's just another chapter of the subbed vs. dubbed debate.
Simple answer: The Japanese cared more about the story and thus hired actors that fit the roles rather than the biggest names. Contrast to Disney who got the Jonas' little bro, Miley Cyrus' sister, Liam Neeson, etc. to do the voices. While they dub was okay, the voices could've been better.

Meanwhile you get things like Cowboy Bebop or FMA where the voices match better in the "dubbed" format as it fits the story better. Using both examples the Cowboy Bebop directors have the official language of the series be english, but the original work has them speaking in Japanese only because it's made in Japan. FMA was originally meant to have them speaking in German (the english dub director even states they were looking for actors who could do German. Vic Mignogna wasn't originally cast as Ed since he couldn't do a german accent). **side note: Amestris, the country FMA takes place in, is surprisingly similar both geographically and border wise to Germany. The only exceptions being the Ishbalans of course, but that has more to do with inherent racism in general.**

So basically it's amounting to what voices fit the roles, and since the roles are inherently Japanese, the english just really can't quite keep the same level as the original work.