News:

<+Clu> was cute sure but it doesnt even mention homosexuality

Main Menu

Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Started by JrDude, December 09, 2012, 03:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JrDude

So I bought this game, because Paper Mario is awesome.
It's a good game, but it isn't the Paper Mario I want...
Every game, their adding some weird gimmick... This time, you have no attacks of your own. Every attack is based on a sticker, and you have to have a sticker to attack. In other words, if you have no stickers, you have no attacks, and therefore the only option is Running.
Though, that has only been an issue once recently, as they give you stickers EVERYWHERE. It was an issue on the second Royal Sticker boss, because HAMMER couldn't be used... Also, you can run away from Boss Battles...
Anyway, even though the battles are turned based like most RPGs, there is literally NO reason to battle ANY enemies, because there's no experience points... This game has almost as much coins as NSMB2. The weakest jump has FIVE action commands to complete, granted it's always the first jump deals the good amount of damage, and the ones after deal only one. But each jump that hits an enemy with 0 hp gives you a coin. But anyway, in order to get more HP is to find HP+ things hidden throughout the game, which gives you 5 more HP. In order to gain attack... Honestly, I don't know. I know my attack keeps getting stronger, but I don't know what's causing it. Is it the Royal Stickers? (The Crystal Stars of this game) Is it the amount of sticker pages? (Basically your FP, and ALL of your attacks)

And another complaint I have... NO PARTNERS... one of the things that made a good Paper Mario game was PARTNERS! The early previous of this game showed a Chain Chomp following you, and though I haven't reached that point of the game, I know for a fact that this Chain Chomp is NOTHING. A Toad and some other thing I don't remember, followed me for less than a level of the game, AND DID NOTHING. Get into a battle, they're gone. Enemy touches him, he runs away.
WiiU, U need to make ANOTHER Paper Mario game, and make it right! RPG, turned based, EXPERIENCE (or Star points I should say), Partners, FP, Badges, and 3D movement for MOST if not ALL of the game! (I'm looking at Super Paper Mario for that)

But the actual main reason of this thread is a death I had recently... So one of the things of this game is, there's a lot of fake walls that you have to hammer to make part of the wall fall to make a passage into a secret area. When that happens, it wiggles and tries to fall on top of you. No matter where you stand, Mario will freak out and dive out of the way.
Well one time, I was avoiding enemies because I didn't care, I hammered a wall I knew was fake, at the same exact time, an enemy dove into my hammer shot, and started a battle. Battle ends easily, but the screen is zoomed out A LOT, I thought it was glitched, but not a second goes by, and the wall I successfully hammered, fell ON TOP OF MARIO, and I fell through the floor (which I could see since the camera zoomed out), and I died..... and I hadn't saved in a LONG time... so I had to redo A LOT... And I call bull poop.

Just thought I'd share my opinions and partial rage...
What are your thoughts on Sticker Star?
[move][/move]
Dude .

Neerb

Want it, don't have it yet.

Is it at least better than Super?

Zero

Quote from: Delibird on December 09, 2012, 05:24:06 PM
Is it at least better than Super?

No.

It's completely pointless to engage in non-boss battles.

Custom

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

The Riddler

card based battle systems literally always suck

Custom

am i the only person who liked super?
i mean it's not the same as the other games but I thought it was fun and neat

Zero

Quote from: Custom on December 10, 2012, 01:46:00 AM
am i the only person who liked super?
i mean it's not the same as the other games but I thought it was fun and neat

It wasn't a bad game by any means. Just wasn't a Paper Mario game. Wasn't as fun.

Quote from: The Riddler on December 10, 2012, 01:12:37 AM
card based battle systems literally always suck

Nope

Custom

mega man battle network 1-3 were some of my favorite games as a kid

they all intercourse ing had the greatest opening title screen song of all intercourse ing time intercourse  your poop if you don't like it i hate you if you don't liek that intercourse ing title song oh my god it's so good

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Custom on December 10, 2012, 03:46:47 AM
mega man battle network 1-3 were some of my favorite games as a kid

they all intercourse ing had the greatest opening title screen song of all intercourse ing time intercourse  your poop if you don't like it i hate you if you don't liek that intercourse ing title song oh my god it's so good
I might just do a walkthrough for the entire series now that I got my sweet Game Boy Player and my silver GameCube.

Also, Sticker Star falls between the first Paper Mario and... What am I saying? This feels like a little step back from the first Paper Mario.

Zero

Quote from: DededeCloneChris on December 10, 2012, 09:03:09 AM
I might just do a walkthrough for the entire series now that I got my sweet Game Boy Player and my silver GameCube.

do it

Also, Sticker Star falls between the first Paper Mario and... What am I saying? This feels like a little step back from the first Paper Mario.

I got to world 2 and just kind of lost interest.

Did you guys read the recent Iwata Asks where they talk about the game? Here are some rage infuriating points regarding it:

-Shigeru Miyamoto didn't like how in past PM games Bowser was arguably the funniest character, so he wanted him mute for this game
-Shigeru also didn't want there to be much of a story, even though PM games were pretty straight forward story wise.
-The early builds of the game were closer to TTYD. This angered Miyamoto and he told the team to go back to the drawing board and do something "new".
-Miyamoto wanted an overworld map
-Apparently everyone loved Super Paper Mario going by Club Nintendo surveys.

and that's all I can remember off the top of my head. Miyamoto is going senile and I've never met anyone that "loved" Super Paper Mario. 

The Riddler

i have never played a card based battle system game that i enjoyed

i was excited for paper mario 3ds

then they said sticker battles

then i died a little

Tupin

Quote from: Z on December 10, 2012, 03:15:42 PM
do it

I got to world 2 and just kind of lost interest.

Did you guys read the recent Iwata Asks where they talk about the game? Here are some rage infuriating points regarding it:

-Shigeru Miyamoto didn't like how in past PM games Bowser was arguably the funniest character, so he wanted him mute for this game
-Shigeru also didn't want there to be much of a story, even though PM games were pretty straight forward story wise.
-The early builds of the game were closer to TTYD. This angered Miyamoto and he told the team to go back to the drawing board and do something "new".
-Miyamoto wanted an overworld map
-Apparently everyone loved Super Paper Mario going by Club Nintendo surveys.

and that's all I can remember off the top of my head. Miyamoto is going senile and I've never met anyone that "loved" Super Paper Mario. 
I really think Miyamoto needs to retire. Every story we hear about him is him squashing the ideas of his team and pulling rank when they protest.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Mona

More like a giant step back from the first Paper Mario. I still enjoy the first Paper Mario to this day. I can not get into Sticker Star at all. It's a shame because I was so excited for it.

Flying Chickens

I don't mind Sticker Star. It's entertaining. I mean, it's a far cry from great. It's good, at best. But it's what I have right now.
That said, I feel like every enemy that's not a boss is just a silly obstacle to dodge. There's no entertainment value to fighting anything.
Maybe I don't like this game after all. Damn. I just want TTYD again.

Mona