News:

<+Clu> Silverhawk79 is just wrong for me

Main Menu

Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Started by JrDude, December 09, 2012, 03:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kayo

Quote from: Sirwaddy on February 17, 2013, 07:48:08 PM
It's just disappointing to know that Miyamoto specifically ordered no new characters for this game.

And the boss battles are challenging in the sense that they're a guessing game on whether or not you brought the right Thing sticker. If you did you've practically won the battle, if you didn't good luck surviving and having kirsti give hints after its too late.
Basically. I remember one or two of the bosses being easy enough to take without the Thing stickers, but other than that it's either an instantaneous win or an unnecessarily drawn-out fight. And with the whole limited-amount-of-times-you-can-attack thing, it's not exactly fun.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Bearissoslow

you guys seriously lack the motor functions for fun.

i've never met a batch of people who've complained about such a fun game so much. at least with /v/ i can pretend most of the people there are just hiveminding. here it's just a sad attempt to be dishing out the sick burns on video games.

tl;dr i fyou disagree with me i'd vote yes for your euthanasia

Custom

Quote from: Bearissoslow on February 18, 2013, 01:47:21 AM

i've never met a batch of people who've complained about such a fun game so much. at least with /v/ i can pretend most of the people there are just hiveminding. here it's just a sad attempt to be dishing out the sick burns on video games.

i eat contra for breakfast, ninny

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

Zero

The problems with the game are pretty evident. You choose to look past them and/or they don't bother you in the first place. That's fine.

also /v/ doesn't like video games

Bearissoslow

Zero

Kayo

just because it didn't live up to expectations doesn't mean it was painful to play. it just could have been better.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Zero

Quote from: Kayo on February 18, 2013, 09:30:40 PM
just because it didn't live up to expectations doesn't mean it was painful to play. it just could have been better.

In all seriousness I feel its a well-made game and I look forward to completing it as soon as I'm done with Black 2 or Kid Icarus: Uprising. Some of the choices they made during development still baffle me, though.

Neerb

Just got the game over the weekend. I get the complaints people have had, but I still really like it. It's beautiful, the jazz is great, and the sticker battles are actually fun. Sure, no exp means you don't really need the battles, but the actual stickers themselves have a fun collectothon aspect while adding some of the fun of Chain of Memories (without the bs overpowered enemies).

Only major complaints are the boss fights being either really long or really short and the fact that there's no real effort in the lore like there usually is (iconic locations, sidekicks, memorable characters, great plot, all given up for no reason). Still, it's about as close to being a real PM game as Super was, and I can appreciate the sticker gameplay and level-select world map for at least being an interesting twist.

Kayo

Quote from: Neerb on February 19, 2013, 04:58:28 PM
Only major complaints are the boss fights being either really long or really short and the fact that there's no real effort in the lore like there usually is (iconic locations, sidekicks, memorable characters, great plot, all given up for no reason). Still, it's about as close to being a real PM game as Super was, and I can appreciate the sticker gameplay and level-select world map for at least being an interesting twist.
Locations, sidekicks, characters, and plot are what made the past Paper Mario games for me, honesty. That's probably why I didn't enjoy Sticker Star that much. I just didn't get what I loved about Paper Mario.

Personally, if I wanted a level-select world map I'd just play a New Super Mario Bros. game.
[move][/move]

Sirwaddy

Paper Mario Sticker Star was more like Paper New Super Mario Bros. The game was fine in and of itself but when looked at for what it was as an addition to the Paper Mario series it was a huge let down.

Kayo

Quote from: Sirwaddy on February 19, 2013, 10:30:55 PM
Paper Mario Sticker Star was more like Paper New Super Mario Bros. The game was fine in and of itself but when looked at for what it was as an addition to the Paper Mario series it was a huge let down.
Yeah, basically. Do you think the fact that it was the first handheld Paper Mario is enough to excuse such a change in gameplay style? I don't.
[move][/move]

Sirwaddy

Quote from: Kayo on February 19, 2013, 10:37:18 PM
Yeah, basically. Do you think the fact that it was the first handheld Paper Mario is enough to excuse such a change in gameplay style? I don't.

They wanted the map to be segmented like that for a pull-out-and-play and quickly-put-back-in-pocket playing style, which makes sense. That would be totally forgivable if that's all they changed. Partners were removed because stickers had the same function the partners did. But stickers replacing overall experience and level-up is unacceptable. That prevents any noticeable progression if you've run out of stickers, and that was foolish of them to do.

Kayo

Quote from: Sirwaddy on February 19, 2013, 11:37:22 PM
They wanted the map to be segmented like that for a pull-out-and-play and quickly-put-back-in-pocket playing style, which makes sense.
Isn't that what sleep mode is for? I mean, I had absolutely no problem playing OoT3D like that, and that's a full-blown adventure type game. I don't think it was necessary.

QuoteThat would be totally forgivable if that's all they changed. Partners were removed because stickers had the same function the partners did. But stickers replacing overall experience and level-up is unacceptable. That prevents any noticeable progression if you've run out of stickers, and that was foolish of them to do.
There's really no excuse at all for taking out partners. I mean, I wasn't expecting much after they downgraded in Super Paper Mario to partners who never spoke a word or showed any sort of personality except for when you first met them. But I was kind of hopeful for a return to the kind of partners we last saw in TTYD.

I'm sorry, but they almost took out too much to even call it a member of the Paper Mario series. Sure, the basic papery concept is still there, but... that's about it.
[move][/move]

Sirwaddy

Quote from: Kayo on February 20, 2013, 01:05:19 AM
I'm sorry, but they almost took out too much to even call it a member of the Paper Mario series. Sure, the basic papery concept is still there, but... that's about it.

Don't apologize you're right. The game stripped everything that was loved from the Paper Mario series and put in a bunch of crap.