News:

<+Clu> Silverhawk79 is just wrong for me

Main Menu

Embarrassment Buying Pokemon

Started by Macawmoses, January 17, 2010, 02:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macawmoses

Have any of you been embarrassed purchasing a Pokemon game?

I picked up Pokemon Platinum  for the neighbour kids birthday today, and the guy just looked at me like I was nuts buying the game. So, after I was done explaining to him that it was for a nine year old, I decided to stop and re-evaluate.

I then told him some straight up facts. Pokemon has easily sold 200 million units of game. It's been made into a long running tv show, and sells a poopload of merchandise. To top it off, it's a well established RPG (albeit kiddy) that has managed to find success on many of Nintendo's largest consoles (see: gameboy, DS), and outperforms every series out there but Mario. (And yes, that includes Halo).

After I totally embarrassed myself defending Pokemon, the guy's mouth just dropped. But really, I don't see why it should be shameful to purchase a game like Pokemon. It's proven to be such a strong series - whether we, the original audience, still love every new Pokemon or not. Have any of you been embarrassed by it? Will you purchase the games? Have you ever defended the series?

Kayo

I buy the games, however I always have a slight sense of embarrassment handing the cashier a pokemon game to pay for. My dad works at best buy, and get's a nice employee discount, so he usually picks the game up for me at work if I give him money and ask him to. It's sort of embarrassing telling him "hey could you pick up pokemon platinum for meh today?" but i get over it.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Thirdkoopa

181.77m units last time I checked. It's probably viewed as kiddy by many simply due to the Anime/Movies; I know that's the main reason I view it as that a bit.

As for the games, whenever I buy one, once in a very long blue moon, I go with the spin-offs. Mainly due to the fact that I can't stand a story that's a complete copy and paste of the previous one when it comes to RPG's.
[21:11] <mackormoses> let's take a look at today's stats
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> stats today are high
[21:11] <mackormoses> holy intercourse ing poop
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> you adding all these standards
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> is really pushing us [/quote]
Quote from: JrDude φ on May 31, 2010, 08:32:13 PM
3 of my friends smoke weed. Why? Well I asked one time, and this is what they said: "Because I can blow out smoke and it makes me feel like a intercourse ing dragon"

Friendly Hostile

I don't find it embarrassing to buy.  Just embarrassing when I'm there buying it with a girl friend of mine and he assumes we're dating and nags me about not paying for her. Which of course is when you tell him "she's my sister" and leave.

Silverhawk79

I defend it in Mack's style whenever someone gives me poop.
...Which will probably happen with I buy HeartGold or SoulSilver.

BOREDFOREVER

I've only bought one Pokemon game, and I wasn't embarrassed by it.   I didn't think to be.  Nor would I feel theneed to defend myself.  I'm a consumer, I can buy whatever the intercourse  I want.

I once got a hard time at Gamestop for trading in the movie "Cabaret."

Gamestop chick:  This is a good movie.

Me: Yeah.

GC: Was it your girlfriends?

Me: No.

GC: ?

Me:  I'm a theatre major.

I'm pretty sure she assumed that meant "gay," but what the intercourse  do I care?  I just wanted to get rid of it.  Bob Fosse intercourse ed that movie.  And I do like Fosse.

Spud

When I pre-ordered Platinum, the cashier said "Pokemon?", but when I picked it up the next month no one looked at me weird or anything.
I expect the purchase of HeartGold to go smoothly.

jnfs2014

Whenever I tell my parents about the next game, they're like "Another Pokemon game? I thought we were done."

Kayo

Quote from: PokemasterJ on January 17, 2010, 06:09:16 PM
Whenever I tell my parents about the next game, they're like "Another Pokemon game? I thought we were done."
My mom calls it Poke-ee-mon and that pronounciation really gets on my nerves. They never do THAT though. :/
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Lotos

A little when getting Platinum, but hey, I'm collecting them.  I'm buying both HG and SS, so I wonder what kind of reaction I would get.

Quote from: K on January 17, 2010, 06:37:24 PM
My mom calls it Poke-ee-mon and that pronounciation really gets on my nerves. They never do THAT though. :/
At least it's not "polkaman" anymore.

So_So_Man

Quote from: K on January 17, 2010, 06:37:24 PM
That must be the old-people pronunciation.  Assuming I'm correctly remembering Professor Oak saying it like that once, that is.

ThePowerOfOne

No. Just... No. Why should I be?

My family jokes around with me about liking Pokemon when they see I have a new game, but nothing to be embarrassed about.

JrDude

I feel embarrassed when buying the games, but I get over it real quick. Every now and again Pokémon gets on the topic for the guys I hang out with, and at first when I told them I still played Pokémon they're like "lolwut, you're a loser man." Then like the next day they say "Pokémon rules, I still play it," then I'm all "wut."
And just so you know, my friends aren't as nerdy as me, it's a combination, I'm the nerdy guy that stays quiet.

Really though, Pokémon will like never really go out of style, even for the "tough guys," they only go out of style for people who liked it, too embarrassed to buy it, then get over it. Just about everyone knows it's nerdy, but most won't care in the end.
[move][/move]
Dude .

The Riddler

WHEN I BOUGHT PLATINUM, I TREATED IT LIKE A DRUG DEAL. I WORE A COAT, PAID THE MAN DISCREETLY, AND TUCKED IT AWAY AS I WALKED OUT OF THE STORE.

Custom

I buy Pokemon games from the cute girls that work at gamestop late at night.

They don't care if you buy Pokemon games.

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!