News:

UH SOMETHING BROKE HANG ON

Main Menu

How they can do Gen 5 right and an Eeveetastic idea.

Started by The Riddler, February 27, 2010, 05:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Riddler

Can't be arsed to find a "What do you want out of..." thread, so I'm making a new one.
I want your opinions on what Gamefreak can do to make Gen 5 epic.

---------
Ignoring that I want an MMORPG Pokemon, Gen5 will likely be another handheld set of titles.

First and foremost: Alright, so they've already touched up on God. Arceus is the top tier of all Pokemon, they cannot surpass him, and if they try they'll lose further credibility. That said, I don't t here there should be an emphasis on Legendaries in Gen 5. Four legendaries and one pseudo-legendary, max. The trio and it's master.

Make all regions accessible, without the gimmick of "this region has changed so much". This likely won't happen but it'd be an amazing thing.

If they could release exactly 107 new Pokemon, that would be beautiful. An even 600.
Amongst these 107 should be very few new evolutions of old Pokemon, unless they can do it more believably. Magmortar, Lickilicky, and Tangrowth were horrendous.
However, I do think they should do at the very least, the following:
Pinsir, since Scyther got an Evo and I always thought it was odd Pinsir didn't.
Farfetch'd, since he's so cool, he can't be passed up.
Eeveelutions, which brings me to my next idea:

This may sound like a bit much, but Gen 5 would be the opportune time to complete a set of 16 Eeveelutions.
As it stands, we have Flareon, Jolteon, Vaporeon, Umbreon, Espeon, Leafeon, and Glaceon.
Others could be, as we discussed in chat:
Aereon - Flying, Spectreon - Ghost, Venomeon - Poison, Terreon - Ground, Brawleon - Fighting, Metalleon - Steel, Petreon - Rock, Draconeon - Dragon, Eeveeon - Normal, and ???eon - Bug (we couldn't think of one for that.)
Now, to justify this, I thought of this as a potential plot point:
Instead of focusing on all the Legendaries and poop that Gen4 did, focus on an Origins story, with a possible centerpiece being Eevee. Have an area dedicated to Eevee and it's evolutions, and work with it from there. Maybe a changing terrain, maybe a new set of stones (and a hold item to make Leafstone/Moonstone/Sunstone/etc work), but whatever it may be, I feel like an Origins setting would work very well and feel fresh. Eevee isn't the only possible idea, but it seems like it'd fit.

Now for the end-game, the Elite Four. I think instead of Victory Road and the Elite Four/Champion, there should be a tournament style Championship. You have to play through # of the "best trainers" with certain rules (teams of 3, doubles, whatever) just to get to the Elite Four, instead of Victory Road.

Only control change I would make is 8 directional movement. Plzkthx.

Keep HM's as permanent items, but don't make them permanent moves. Make it so a TM can teach over it.

Nothing else really I can think of. My main points were the believable new evolutions, and the origins storyline.

Nayrman

*immediately smiles at the idea of an Eevee based series.* My childhood gaming want brought to life yay!

I want all my Eeveelutions. Just finish them out already Nintendo!

The Riddler

Quote from: Nayrman on February 27, 2010, 06:21:57 PM
*immediately smiles at the idea of an Eevee based series.* My childhood gaming want brought to life yay!

I want all my Eeveelutions. Just finish them out already Nintendo!
[spoiler][/spoiler]
That's the same one I found earlier, the one I based Eeveeon... on. I liked the name.  Most of the designs I don't like though, and what the hell is Absesteon supposed to be? D:

bluaki

Full set of Eevee forms is really overdoing it. Besides, Mew already has the, albeit old, "origin" story.

I think that, instead of adding new forms, they should balance the power of the current Pokemon by changing stats. Pinsir could be a counterexample, because getting a new form would repair its somewhat counterpart status with Scyther. More base stats need to be adjusted for the Gen4's attack split, like giving Blaziken significantly more Attack than Special Attack. Farfetch'd really should not gain a new evolution; rather, just get better stats and be more battleworthy.

I believe a majority of Pokemon players are greatly annoyed by the HM system as it is with taking up move slots, even if you slightly changed the mechanic to allow deleting moves. Drop their moves to a status of extremely easy to obtain repeatedly TM and replace any necessary functionality with a story trigger, key item (Flashlight? If a bike can fit in a backpack, why not a boat lol), or something. If you really want to take it further, perhaps boat docks exist at every major coast and the pass for it is obtained where Surf's HM would otherwise be obtained and a story event which would otherwise grant Waterfall HM would allow the boat organization to upgrade their motors to be powerful enough to climb a waterfall. Pokemon Centers all develop a teleportation system, or something like that.

The tournament suggestion is fine, but to me it doesn't seem like enough change to the endgame. Battle facilities with less bizarre rules should exist, with level adjustment, but also with very significant EXP. All gym leaders probably should be rebattleable in their gyms at any time without calling them to arrange a rematch like in HG/SS, also with level adjustment. By less bizarre rules, I mean remove things like a roulette and make all rentals purely optional (and on the note of rentals, go with Stadium's method). Normal-ish rules include Battle Tower, Tournament-based battle, or even PBR's Waterfall Colosseum system (each battle is pretty much a set of 3 1v1 battles; 1 for each party member). Maybe another idea would be... a trainer hall of selected trainers you previously fought in the overworld and who actually achieved something in life instead of standing in the same spot. Include in it trainers that happen to adore certain great EV-giving pokemon.

MMORPG in Pokemon might sound nice at first, but in reality it seems like it'd be terrible. Pokemon from its core up is designed for and only seriously works with linking with only a few number of people and not constantly. Sure, something like completely co-op adventure would be nice, or perhaps automatically linking with people who play Pokemon in your DS2 Global Buddy List (which better exist) to see them in the overworld. Linking with absolutely everybody in an overworld is ridiculous for Pokemon. Like in PBR, random Wi-Fi battles however should be extremely simple, hopefully with a bit more freedom of chat (with chatting itself however being a disabled-by-default option that any non-10-year-old would disable). MMORPGs thrive on a ton of elements which Pokemon does not and better not ever have, like extensive item trading, ridiculously rare items, equipment, very timetaking transportation, and subscription.

The Riddler

Quote from: bluaki on February 27, 2010, 06:30:21 PM
Full set of Eevee forms is really overdoing it. Besides, Mew already has the, albeit old, "origin" story.

I think that, instead of adding new forms, they should balance the power of the current Pokemon by changing stats. Pinsir could be a counterexample, because getting a new form would repair its somewhat counterpart status with Scyther. More base stats need to be adjusted for the Gen4's attack split, like giving Blaziken significantly more Attack than Special Attack. Farfetch'd really should not gain a new evolution; rather, just get better stats and be more battleworthy.

I believe a majority of Pokemon players are greatly annoyed by the HM system as it is with taking up move slots, even if you slightly changed the mechanic to allow deleting moves. Drop their moves to a status of extremely easy to obtain repeatedly TM and replace any necessary functionality with a story trigger, key item (Flashlight? If a bike can fit in a backpack, why not a boat lol), or something. If you really want to take it further, perhaps boat docks exist at every major coast and the pass for it is obtained where Surf's HM would otherwise be obtained and a story event which would otherwise grant Waterfall HM would allow the boat organization to upgrade their motors to be powerful enough to climb a waterfall. Pokemon Centers all develop a teleportation system, or something like that.

The tournament suggestion is fine, but to me it doesn't seem like enough change to the endgame. Battle facilities with less bizarre rules should exist, with level adjustment, but also with very significant EXP. All gym leaders probably should be rebattleable in their gyms at any time without calling them to arrange a rematch like in HG/SS, also with level adjustment. By less bizarre rules, I mean remove things like a roulette and make all rentals purely optional (and on the note of rentals, go with Stadium's method). Normal-ish rules include Battle Tower, Tournament-based battle, or even PBR's Waterfall Colosseum system (each battle is pretty much a set of 3 1v1 battles; 1 for each party member). Maybe another idea would be... a trainer hall of selected trainers you previously fought in the overworld and who actually achieved something in life instead of standing in the same spot. Include in it trainers that happen to adore certain great EV-giving pokemon.

MMORPG in Pokemon might sound nice at first, but in reality it seems like it'd be terrible. Pokemon from its core up is designed for and only seriously works with linking with only a few number of people and not constantly. Sure, something like completely co-op adventure would be nice, or perhaps automatically linking with people who play Pokemon in your DS2 Global Buddy List (which better exist) to see them in the overworld. Linking with absolutely everybody in an overworld is ridiculous for Pokemon. Like in PBR, random Wi-Fi battles however should be extremely simple, hopefully with a bit more freedom of chat (with chatting itself however being a disabled-by-default option that any non-10-year-old would disable). MMORPGs thrive on a ton of elements which Pokemon does not and better not ever have, like extensive item trading, ridiculously rare items, equipment, very timetaking transportation, and subscription.
By making Umbreon, Espeon, they started to push the idea of Eevees. By waiting two generations to add Leafeon and Glaceon, they cemented that a full set should be made, in my honest opinion. If they were to do it without some story element it would seem like overkill, but if they did it in a way similar to how I suggested it (have an area dedicated to Eevee, maybe a village that worships the seemingly limitless Pokemon, or maybe 16 separate areas that are all linked via the story), it could work. Mew having an origin story is fairly irrelevant to the games, his only real mentions are in notebooks at the mansion. Otherwise the stories are relatively rehashed in every game. Team Rocket. Team Magma. Team Aqua. Team Galactic. Someone's always up to no good. That's fine and dandy, but maybe add something new and fresh to the game.

The stats aren't something I'm too particularly concerned with, but they could use improvement. I'm more concerned about the game and how it progresses itself.

As for the tournament, I'd rather it over a victory road. I hate running into a million Golbats just to get to the E4, and it seems like it'd be more fun to me regardless.

The MMORPG wouldn't work?
That's a completely different topic, so I'll put it in spoilers:
[spoiler]The way I see an MMORPG working, is to make it similar to WoW or FFXI. Have Pokemon freeroaming, and certain ones aggro as you run past them. Have all regions selectable from the start, where you have your own "home" in an instance type setting (like your house in FFXI or apartment on PSN, if you need clarification I'll explain later), and you progress through the gyms and such as you please, with other quests similar to the handhelds being implemented along the way. If you wish to challenge or trade with someone, it can go into a trance like mode where only you and your opponent can see whats going on, unless someone chooses you and picks "Spectate", otherwise on the overworld you two are just standing around. Keep HMs to get around, and if you normally couldn't get past a certain spot there will be an invisible wall to block you; as for legendaries, put them in instances so everyone has a chance at them, but make them ridiculously hard to capture. Overall, it could be more like a world seen in the shows.

[/spoiler]

JrDude

Weird, a while ago, I thought that it might be cool to have an Eevee based story, but I thought that one of the eeveelutions could be the main legendary, like maybe the Normal typed one. I said it on Serebii chat.
Though it might work, getting ALL the eeveelutions in 1 game is overkill and dumb, I want them all to come out, but I don't want them all to come out in the next game, 4 more at most imo.
Also, no on the stone idea, so you can't evolve Eevee with a stone, even though it sounds like it would work because leaf stone and leafeon fit together, big deal, I like the ideas of evolving Eevee in MANY different ways.

In addition to Bluaki's post, I was thinking an item called Swimsuit could replace surf, then you could be a swimmer like every trainer you fight, or instead of swimsuit, it could be an inner tube like the kids you fight in the water.
[move][/move]
Dude .

The Riddler

Quote from: JrDude ♦ on February 27, 2010, 06:45:37 PM
Weird, a while ago, I thought that it might be cool to have an Eevee based story, but I thought that one of the eeveelutions could be the main legendary, like maybe the Normal typed one. I said it on Serebii chat.
Though it might work, getting ALL the eeveelutions in 1 game is overkill and dumb, I want them all to come out, but I don't want them all to come out in the next game, 4 more at most imo.
Also, no on the stone idea, so you can't evolve Eevee with a stone, even though it sounds like it would work because leaf stone and leafeon fit together, big deal, I like the ideas of evolving Eevee in MANY different ways.
The legendary would be a good idea, if it weren't for the fact that you'd have to evolve Eevee to get him.
As I said earlier, if it's done story related, it's not necessarily overkill. How many generations of Pokemon do you want? If it's gonna be done, it should be done now, and it's only 9(?) new Pokemon out of a potental 107 (if they make it an even 600.)

Now for the stone thing, I can hear you on that, but I really hated how they did Glaceon and Leafeon. It felt like it was too much effort just for those two. So, here's some food for thought:
Go with the 16 different ways to evolve them (stones for some, day/night, happiness, particular areas), but ALSO have a hold item with a new set of stones to go with the new region. This hold item will be rare and lost upon evolution with the stone, but it'll make it easier to obtain of of the many Eevee types, while you gotta work harder for the other ones, maybe?

As a note, the new stones could be not specific to Eevee as well. Like Fire Stone works for Vulpix, new stones could work for new Pokemon, or even old Pokemon to new evolutions.

JrDude

Quote from: Riddler on February 27, 2010, 06:50:43 PM
The legendary would be a good idea, if it weren't for the fact that you'd have to evolve Eevee to get him.
As I said earlier, if it's done story related, it's not necessarily overkill. How many generations of Pokemon do you want? If it's gonna be done, it should be done now, and it's only 9(?) new Pokemon out of a potental 107 (if they make it an even 600.)

Now for the stone thing, I can hear you on that, but I really hated how they did Glaceon and Leafeon. It felt like it was too much effort just for those two. So, here's some food for thought:
Go with the 16 different ways to evolve them (stones for some, day/night, happiness, particular areas), but ALSO have a hold item with a new set of stones to go with the new region. This hold item will be rare and lost upon evolution with the stone, but it'll make it easier to obtain of of the many Eevee types, while you gotta work harder for the other ones, maybe?
It could be a legendary item you find, but an Eevee that's been poping in and out of the story steals it in a certain area and evolves, this would be the only way to obtain it, so even if you have the item and an Eevee, you couldn't evolve it, it evolves itself in the story, but this would give it a story. This Eevee could also be what the new enemy team is chasing too, along with the item.

And I said 4 would be nice, maybe even 5, 'cause then in the next it could be 4 or 5, then it would be finished with that, but ignoring that, Pokémon keeps making money, so it would be easy to suspect that they will not make all the Eeveelutions in 1 game, 'cause the new ones are some of the reasons people like the games, and if all the eeveelutions are finished, it would give the game after that a little less of an impact.

And on the stone thingy, still no. Though there may be new items so Eevee can still become Leafeon/Glaceon, that method shouldn't happen.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Nayrman

I doubt any Eeveelution would be legendary... unless....

anyone else read one of the mangas? I can't remember which one it is, but at one point the main character's Eevee could change into Epseon, Eevee, and Umbreon at any time it wanted (and then later just plain old evolved into Espeon permanently)
Hm.... maybe a special Eevee that can evolve into any type at any point with plates? Therefore being the "legendary" eevee? I mean, you could evolve it into Vaporeon to learn surf, then change it to Leafeon so it could rape fire types. Thus cementing it's uber status sort of and be legendary in that regard. Just a though I had, pay no heed to my rambles.

But as far as the amount of Eeveelutions go, half of hte rest this time, the later half next generation. We don't want this to keep going forever, but all at once would be overkill.

The Riddler

Quote from: JrDude ♦ on February 27, 2010, 06:58:22 PM
It could be a legendary item you find, but an Eevee that's been poping in and out of the story steals it in a certain area and evolves, this would be the only way to obtain it, so even if you have the item and an Eevee, you couldn't evolve it, it evolves itself in the story, but this would give it a story. This Eevee could also be what the new enemy team is chasing too, along with the item.

And I said 4 would be nice, maybe even 5, 'cause then in the next it could be 4 or 5, then it would be finished with that, but ignoring that, Pokémon keeps making money, so it would be easy to suspect that they will not make all the Eeveelutions in 1 game, 'cause the new ones are some of the reasons people like the games, and if all the eeveelutions are finished, it would give the game after that a little less of an impact.
First point: Plausible, and I kind of like it, though I'd still like the idea of being able to evolve it yourself. Maybe that Eevee in particular is special, and depending how you play it evolves itself to one of the many types, but it a certain skillset/stats that makes it better than a normal Eevee.
Edit: Nayrman, I kind of like that, he's the Arceus of regular Pokemon. :3
A new ability, just for this special Eevee that allows him to evolve based on what he's holding, and go back to his normal form when you take it off... but be careful not to evolve him with a stone or it'll be permanent.

Second point: Meh, they're gonna keep making money but it'll only go so long before they actually run out of ideas, or people lose interest.  You can't deny that Pokemon isn't what it once was even if it is still fairly popular. I'd rather get them all out of the way.

JrDude

Maybe you could evolve it yourself, but it would be an event Eevee.
Though it would make it pointless in a way.
[move][/move]
Dude .

The Riddler

Quote from: JrDude ♦ on February 27, 2010, 07:12:37 PM
Maybe you could evolve it yourself, but it would be an event Eevee.
Though it would make it pointless in a way.
Doesn't have to be an event. Just a story related Eevee with a special ability.

jnfs2014

I agree 100%...with Eeveeon. :P

The rest is hit and miss. Basically you can separate it into three idea banks:

Stuff Nintendo might do:

-8 directional movement
-Evolutions for some pokes.
-4-5 Eeveelutions.
-If enough people whine about HM's, they might change it.

Borderline:

-16/32/64 player Elite 4 tourney. It may happen.

Stuff Nintendo won't do:

-End on 600. Gen 1 ended on 151, Gen 2 on 252, Gen 3 on 386, Gen 4 on 493. Now the chances that Ninty will add 105 pokemon EXACTLY is slim to none.
-Add all eeveelutions. While it is epic, it probably won't happen.
-MMORPG. This might happen, but only if Nintendo gets off their lazy asses and does it.
-Swimming sounds cool, but pretty unlikely.

DededeCloneChris

Pfft, anyone knows a normal Pokemon can't evolve into a Legendary.

Nayrman

Quote from: AuraChannelerChris on February 27, 2010, 07:24:47 PM
Pfft, anyone knows a normal Pokemon can't evolve into a Legendary.
Eevee is unique, remember?